TRIVIA

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

loringa wrote:
Laura M wrote:Adolt Hitler was in fact a fantastic boss, vegetarian teetotaler, compare that to an alcoholic womaniser (Churchill).
Adolf Hitler also survived six months as a runner during WW1 when the average life expectancy of such a person was 2 days
A fantastic boss to whom precisely? The fact that he was nice to his secretaries may not entirely militate his actions as leader towards his own (non-Jewish) countryman which resulted in vast numbers of them dying, whether on the Eastern Front, in attempting to hold on to Northern France or as the Allies advanced through Germany when he refused to surrender and so many of his population died unnecessarily. Or perhaps you are referring to the slave labourers who he also forced to work for him? Or maybe you are referring to the direct control he took of the German Armed Forces, overriding his Generals, and again wasting hundreds of thousands of lives? I'd rather have worked for Churchill any day!

Incidentally, where does the idea that Churchill was a womaniser come from; I really don't believe he was?

Overall, Churchill was a great man with some human frailties whereas Hitler was an evil monster - no comparison really.
Yes I know Hitler was evil, Churchill was a legend but people still liked working for Hitler. I take it you've read Until the Final hour then.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Euterpe13 wrote:and as a coda :

It is always helpful to have a law that clearly defines when a person is legally intoxicated.

In Kentucky, anyone who has been drinking is considered sober until he or she cannot hold onto the ground
.............And similarly, in Norfolk, anyone who has been drinking is considered sober until he or she cannot hold onto his or her brother or sister !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Euterpe13 wrote:For all the beer & footie fans out there :

Beer, as all alcoholic drinks, is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on the yeast cells, then defecating. This bacterial excrement is called alcohol.

So you are effectively swilling baterial poo....
Well, the intestines have a rich bacterial flora anyway.

Millions of parasites, including mites, worms, bacteria, fungi, and viruses are eating your flesh right now. The human race is subject to infestation by more than 1,000 types of parasites.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:For all the beer & footie fans out there :

Beer, as all alcoholic drinks, is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on the yeast cells, then defecating. This bacterial excrement is called alcohol.

So you are effectively swilling baterial poo....
Well, the intestines have a rich bacterial flora anyway.

Millions of parasites, including mites, worms, bacteria, fungi, and viruses are eating your flesh right now. The human race is subject to infestation by more than 1,000 types of parasites.
....and most of 'em employed by or at the Palace of Westminster !
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

J.R. wrote: ....and most of 'em employed by or at the Palace of Westminster !
JR - many of your quotes are somewhat abstract, and usually juveniley(?sp?) funny (and hence I enjoy them greatly!) - what has prompted this moment of sincerity and serious contribution?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:
J.R. wrote: ....and most of 'em employed by or at the Palace of Westminster !
JR - many of your quotes are somewhat abstract, and usually juveniley(?sp?) funny (and hence I enjoy them greatly!) - what has prompted this moment of sincerity and serious contribution?
Senility setting in, or maybe watch the next series of 'Grumpy Old Men' !!
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

After filming "Grumpy Old Men" in Minnesota in freezing temperatures, Walter Mattheau was hospitalized with double pneumonia.

Source: http://www.imdb.com
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Tim_MaA_MidB wrote:After filming "Grumpy Old Men" in Minnesota in freezing temperatures, Walter Mattheau was hospitalized with double pneumonia.

Source: http://www.imdb.com
Sadly no longer with us. A great, great comedian.

He and Jack Lemmon, the perfect double act.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Winston Churchill's granddaughter is Arabella Churchill, a main and long-term organiser of the Glastonbury Festival.

Winston Churchill lived at Blenheim Palace, where I was getting wasted at 2am on Monday morning. One of my more-wasted-than-me companions looked at the moonlit lake and asked me matter-of-factly where we were. I told him it was Blenheim, and not Sheffield as he had thought, at which point he threw up all over his shirt, trousers and Sir Winston's estate.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Wow, trivia of the highest calibre there Hendrik! :)
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

A good friend of my wife was recently married to Jack Churchill, Grandson of Winston.

The world just keeps getting smaller and smaller.
Thornton 85-92