Extreme Cello Playing

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

jfdawson
2nd Former

Extreme Cello Playing

Post by jfdawson »

OK, I've not posted on here for some time, so I apologise if this comes slightly out of the blue (as it were!), but I thought that some of you may be interested in this.

I play as part of a cello trio ("The Extreme Cellists") that plays in unusual places to raise money for charity. We formed about three years ago, based on the concept of "extreme ironing", but with more artistic intentions.

Well, this summer we’re undertaking another ridiculous venture. Between July 24th and August 4th, we’re going to play on the roofs of all 42 Cathedrals in England. That’s about 1900 miles, and 42 performances, in 12 days. We’re doing this to raise money for two charities – Shelter and ASPIRE.

Full(ish) details of what we’re doing can be found at http://www.extreme-cello.com/Cathedrals.htm . Do feel free to come and watch us at your local Cathedral if you’re so inclined! We’ll be posting more accurate times of our performances in a couple of weeks, although each one will only last about 10 minutes.

If you feel like making a donation to either of the charities, you can do that via the web site as well (I’ve included direct links to the donation pages below). Many of you will know about Shelter; ASPIRE is perhaps less well-known, but does an excellent job supporting and rehabilitating young people with spinal injuries (more information on our web site if you’re interested).

Best wishes to all!

Jeremy Dawson
(Lamb B/Lamb A 87-94)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Truely bonkers but best of luck to you! :)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Good to see you're still playing.

I'll try to come to the Southwark one.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
hoob
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by hoob »

Great Plum wrote:Truely bonkers but best of luck to you! :)
Take your Ironing Board also - isn't extreme ironing almost a recognised sport now?

You're mad.......tell us when the pics are out!
Mike
Mab/MaA 1981 - 1988
Why is there so much month left at the end of my money?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

There was a small article about the cello butters today in the Metro!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Is there any truth to the rumour that female cellist's like a big fiddle between their lrgs ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

What's a lrg? ;)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:What's a lrg? ;)
Bad proof reading, Matt. Maybe 'legs' makes the picture clearer !
jfdawson
2nd Former

Post by jfdawson »

J.R. wrote:Is there any truth to the rumour that female cellist's like a big fiddle between their lrgs ?
"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!"
(Sir Thomas Beecham's famous line to a female cellist)

Just to let you know that everything went well... we got to all 42 Cathedrals in 12 days as planned... no-one fell off any roofs either! We've raised (so far) over £4,000 for the charities, and appeared in/on goodness-knows-how-many newspapers, radio stations, TV stations (including a live slot on BBC News 24 :shock:)... and had lots of ideas for future ventures!

And if you're really interested in the pics... go to http://www.extreme-cello.com/Cathedrals.htm, where there are lots of galleries as well as other bits and pieces about the tour.

Cheers!
Jeremy
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

did you play in leicester?
i definatly saw some instruments and people climbing up a ladder
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Wow! I heard about this on the radio and thought how brilliant etc etc but I didn't DO anything. I would have done if there had been a demonstrable Old Blue connection.
My local Cathedral is Chichester.............tell me how it went there?
Kerre
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Wow! I heard about this on the radio and thought how brilliant etc etc but I didn't DO anything. I would have done if there had been a demonstrable Old Blue connection.

Kerre
I think it was built from old stones very many years ago !! :oops:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ha Ha
jfdawson
2nd Former

Post by jfdawson »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Wow! I heard about this on the radio and thought how brilliant etc etc but I didn't DO anything. I would have done if there had been a demonstrable Old Blue connection.
Kerre
Chichester was nice... although we didn't actually get to play on the roof there because there were peregrine falcons nesting there at the time. Instead we played from high up inside the Cathedral (on the triforium), which had the necessary extremity and also a superb acoustic, even if the view was a bit different!

Interesting that you heard it on the radio... I actually attempted a live interview on BBC Southern Counties Radio just before we played. Unfortunately the reception on the phone was so poor that the interview wasn't very good at all. A shame - I was planning to mention the CH connection!
ben ashton wrote:did you play in leicester?
i definatly saw some instruments and people climbing up a ladder
Yep, that was probably us, if it was about midday on Sunday 30th July anyway! We played there at the end of the morning service (having played on the roof at Radio Leicester before the service...). Interestingly, the marketing manager there (who looked after the press for us) was another Old Blue... Sarah Fuggle (CH 91-98, not sure which house), who was a cellist as well!

Another CH connection on the tour... at Lichfield Cathedral we went for a cup of tea in the refectory before playing; we were served by a young chap who we discovered was not only the son of the Dean of Lichfield (doing holiday work), but is a current CH pupil... just about to start his Grecians, I believe.
Jeremy Dawson
Lamb B/A 1987-94
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't think it was the local radio on which I heard about it.. it would have been either Classic FM or Radio 3 - more likely the former. Yes the Peregrine Falcons in the tower at Chichester are now a routine fixture, with webcam and all the rest. But I am sure you must have enjoyed the triforium - it always looks ghastlily high to me! I am sorry I did not know about the CH connection as I most certainly would have supported you, and brought my mates along as well (many of them Old Blues, and some with direct connections with Chichester Cathedral).
Let us know in advance next time!