England/Scotland - let's open up a nice new can of worms!!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Do the Scots & English really hate each other?

Yes but it's all just a bit of fun (we love each other really)
8%
Yes but it's justified cos the English are nasty
No votes
Yes because they're jealous as they didn't qualify
8%
Yes - why can't we all just live as one big happy family?
No votes
Yes and the Scots should start behaving themselves
No votes
No it's just the media sh!t stirring again
No votes
I don't care
8%
It's all Mel Gibson's fault
8%
Something else
8%
Fiona Bruce is really quite lovely
58%

Total votes: 12

marty
Grecian

England/Scotland - let's open up a nice new can of worms!!!!

Post by marty »

What with a certain tournament taking place on the continent there's been a lot of talk recently about Scots being anti-English and racist. I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on this? Have politics boiled over into sport now? I'm quite interested in this subject because my dad and sister currently live in Scotland (I'm in Glasgow at the moment as a matter of fact). My dad says he encounters a lot of anti-English sentiments - I wonder if people feel the same or are we English just as bad? I've put a few thoughts/questions below that people might like to comment on (or just add your own).

As someone who is British and English I would always support England first but would also support Wales, Scotland (and Ireland even though they're not British) if they were playing in a tournament. Whilst I don't EXPECT that to be reciprocated it would be nice if the Scots/Welsh/Irish didn't say they'd support whoever England are playing - surely that's a bit childish? Are there any English people who support whoever Scotland are playing?

Many say that the Scots don't like the English because of past history & politics. Why? The Scots (and Welsh) have their own devolved parliaments/assemblies now. The English don't. A large number of the British cabinet are Scottish (Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Reid, Des Browne, Alistair Darling). Scottish MPs can vote on English issues but English MPs have no say in Scotland. My point is that surely any inbalances/inequalities politics-wise have now been tipped firmly in favour of the Scots? Surely any perceived injustices towards Scotland no longer exist?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Were you watching 'Newsnight' last night, by any chance?

A complicated issue. Aside from the usual banter, there will always be a certain number of people who use perceived historical injustices to fuel their current prejudices, even if said injustices happened years ago.

Having said that, my mother lives on the West coast of Scotland (we're from Somerset originally) and I don't think she's encountered much prejudice. In such a small rural community it seems that if there is any prejudice to be found it will be directed against 'incomers' in general, regardless of their origins.

I had no problems when I was at Edinburgh University, either.

On sporting matters, I have a friend who was born in England but whose parents and close family were all Welsh speakers.

He is currently supporting England's football team and even wears a replica England shirt.

When it comes to rugby, however, he is rabidly Welsh and will mostly support whoever is playing against England.

In the case of Wales this is a sentiment I am more than happy to reciprocate (old West Country / Wales rivalry thing).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fiona's got my vote AGAIN !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

From what I have heard there is quite a bit of anti English sentiment directed towards the English in the major Scottish cities.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

It doesn't really matter if it is English .v. Scots or North .v. South, Europe .v. America, ...endless list... humans will find any reason anywhere to create divisions and predjudices.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I went to university in Glasgow and lived up there for 6 years. I was never subject to, or witnessed any anti-English sentiments. Everyone was more pleasant than I could ever have imagined. Actually, the only thing they would do was aplogise for giving a £1 coin in change rather than a note, the coin being seen as English tender and the note as Scottish. Now whether they felt pleased that an English girl had spurned her own nation's higher education facilities for theirs, I don't know (not the case as it happens!). Everyone supported the Republic of Ireland for the '94 World Cup. I also happen to be part Welsh, so support them also (the rare occasions we see them on TV) and went to the Scotland qualifiers for Euro '96 and would also support them if they were playing. I think it all boils down to the fact that I DON'T CARE WHO WINS - IT MAKES B*GGER ALL DIFFERENCE TO MY LIFE! I just like to watch a bit of footie.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hear hear Cath
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Nice to see Fiona's getting most of the votes!!!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.