Help required - bed and board + pocket money

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

Help required - bed and board + pocket money

Post by Jude »

I don't really know where to put this - so have put it in here - my patio (if you can call it that) is subsiding (due to the builders not actually building it but throwing down a bit of sand and then putting hte slabs on top!)

I would really like assistance on this small project if there are any youngsters/mids etc who would like to come to Gloucestershire (middle England), do the patio, get bed and board free and some pocket money (pretty broke so can't offer much other than picking up at station/showing surrounding sites etc)...

If anyone knows of anyone (that sounds weird) please feel free to contatc me... all tools and equipment (ie spades, rakes, cement, sand etc... JR just in case............!!!) will be available....

Cheers
J :?
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

What a fabulous idea Jude. I love this kind of barter economy arrangement and would have offered but I am a bit busy at the moment.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I would do this but I have no DIY ability - sorry!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Keep going lads - Plum I could teach you some DIY - I used to be very self sufficient - until recently! Normally (well going back about 5 years) I would have whipped up the slabs, changed the underneath, got some fast drying cement and sand, mixed then together (dry) laid it out making sure it was lievel, replaced the slabs (again making them leve in all directions) then watered them.... it may end up me doing it on my own as it is I guess - unless I can get a host of daughters friends with a promise of food and party afterwards (providing NO-ONE STANDS on the newly placed slabs!)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Surely some of your daughters friends are looking for something to do over the summer?
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Yes they are all doing something!! party party party! I have never seen SO MANY 18th birthday parties coming in all within a month - I will pass it on through her to her friends - but so far no luck!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I have a daughter wants a super-trustworthy and responsible house sitter for 3 weeks in August - one cat to feed. She says

It's a lovely house right by Clapham Common, very tranquil location, with a large beautiful garden with trees and birds and and stuff. Mod cons include various gamelan instruments (enough for cokekan), piano and wi-fi broadband. We're within a few minutes' walk of every local amenity anyone could wish for and about 8 minutes to Clapham Common tube.

It's a fabulous house and location.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

So now we have two Help requireds!

One in the Cotswolds and one in Londinuim

so keep passing the meessage please !
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

I've been trying to get my 5 week old to hold a trowel. So far no luck.

As soon as he's a little more co-ordinated I'll send him round. Could do with a break.
Thornton 85-92
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

BTaylor wrote:I've been trying to get my 5 week old to hold a trowel. So far no luck.

As soon as he's a little more co-ordinated I'll send him round. Could do with a break.
thanks......but..............no thanks :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

DavebytheSea wrote:I have a daughter wants a super-trustworthy and responsible house sitter for 3 weeks in August - one cat to feed. She says

It's a lovely house right by Clapham Common, very tranquil location, with a large beautiful garden with trees and birds and and stuff. Mod cons include various gamelan instruments (enough for cokekan), piano and wi-fi broadband. We're within a few minutes' walk of every local amenity anyone could wish for and about 8 minutes to Clapham Common tube.

Which weeks in August?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

BTaylor wrote:I've been trying to get my 5 week old to hold a trowel. So far no luck.

Mind you with this weather, and a newby - argh I pity you!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:I have a daughter wants a super-trustworthy and responsible house sitter for 3 weeks in August - one cat to feed. She says

Which weeks in August?
See my pm, Ruth
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Oh dear ! I think I should keep quiet on this one.

Son-in-Law tells me it's fairly straight forward to lift the slabs and level with sharp sand, before going round to the original builder/cowboy and lobbing Dorking bricks through all his double-glazing.

Unfortunately, the only patio expert I know of in your area has retired !

His entry in Yellow Pages read

"Fred West - Patio's for ANYBODY !"
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

J.R. wrote:His entry in Yellow Pages read

"Fred West - Patio's for ANYBODY !"
ha ha not.. Also need drive way repaired - we have a 1:2 drop where the house and drive way are higher than the next one, the entire thing is held back by a small brick wall and large patio slabs... (ask DBTS - he has driven up it!) ot needs level ing with cross the drive concrete dlabs/large railway wooden things and then concreteing again and again to gradual build up the level until there is just a gentle slop from the drive to the side of the house!

Any one want a week of general house building duties - bed and board provided!! just made a chocolate sheet cake, 70 hokum kokum cookies and Saz has made a tray of peppermint creams for the Stonehouse summer Fair tomorrow - must go and check the weather!!