Most irritating TV adverts

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Most irritating TV adverts

Post by Richard Ruck »

OK, it's grumpy old git time again........

Which TV adverts (past or present) make you want to jump through the nearest window?

For me, at the moment, it's the Vauxhall Zafira ads with those whiny little northern brats (no insult intended to northerners in general, of course!).

I hate this advert in ways that I cannot even begin to describe politely.

"Over-tired" - aaarrrrgh! Notice that the brats in question seem to have been locked out of their own house by their parents. Who could possibly blame them? Hopefully they'll be allowed back into the garden once the crocodile pit has been installed.

Perhaps the advertising "genius" who extracted this rubbish from the deepest recesses of his or her nightmares was tormented as a child by being forced to listen to Jimmy Clitheroe shows on the radio and is now wreaking a horrible vengeance.

:goingmad:

Or perhaps I should just go and get a beer and calm down.........

Talking of which, why are beer adverts usually entertaining, even when the beer being advertised is vile muck such as John Smiths, Fosters or Budweiser (Yank version, not the nice Czech original)? Come to think of it, generally speaking it's only the brewers of really nasty beers who can afford to advertise their products, which results in lots of pubs stocking a big range of completely undrinkable filth. Caffrey's, anyone? :vom:

OK, I've gone off on a tangent so I think I'll stop now.

Sorry!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Do you feel better now? I quite like your least favourite ad, but car ads in general seem almost incomprehensible.

I hate the patronising ones where an invisible finger points to the words clearly showing on the screen.(for those who can't read without moving their lips)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

All advertising for children's 'food' I find particularly loathsome, especially the recent Frosties advert and the one where you give a child a biscuit tube to suck up milk and it changes colour, the message being that this is healthy because they are drinking milk, but quickly gloss over the sugar content, colourings, additives and general eurgh.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

The Marks & Spencer adverts annoyed me the most.

This isn't just an advert - this is a really annoying advert with overly-sexual innuendos designed to convince you to switch from Tescos to our overpriced food.

AAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

cj wrote:All advertising for children's 'food' I find particularly loathsome, especially the recent Frosties advert and the one where you give a child a biscuit tube to suck up milk and it changes colour, the message being that this is healthy because they are drinking milk, but quickly gloss over the sugar content, colourings, additives and general eurgh.
Yep, I've seen these things - they look disgusting!

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

midget wrote:Do you feel better now?
Much better, thanks!

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:All advertising for children's 'food' I find particularly loathsome, especially the recent Frosties advert and the one where you give a child a biscuit tube to suck up milk and it changes colour, the message being that this is healthy because they are drinking milk, but quickly gloss over the sugar content, colourings, additives and general eurgh.
My kids all dive for the mute button when this one comes on.

I do like the Honda one where the guy is singing and riding/driving/flying all the vehicles that Honda makes. All the nicer because he is 'normal rather than a six-pack' hunk. (Not that I have anything against six-pack hunks you understand.)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

All those adverts by loan companies trying to persuade us that debt is perfectly normal and respectable and nothing that yet another loan can't solve. Similarly, those for over-priced mortgages for people with CCJs and arrears - blatantly immoral.

All adverts aimed at children - junk food, cereals (most of which are also junk), toys, games, holidays etc etc. Similarly immoral.

..... and that one for diesel engines telling us that 'hate' is good.

Apparently we have the best tv adverts in the world; what are the worst like??
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

loringa wrote:All those adverts by loan companies trying to persuade us that debt is perfectly normal and respectable and nothing that yet another loan can't solve. Similarly, those for over-priced mortgages for people with CCJs and arrears - blatantly immoral.

All adverts aimed at children - junk food, cereals (most of which are also junk), toys, games, holidays etc etc. Similarly immoral.

..... and that one for diesel engines telling us that 'hate' is good.

Apparently we have the best tv adverts in the world; what are the worst like??
That is a Honda one too. My daughter loves that one because the 'hate' gets rid of tall the nasty fumes leaving a nice clean diesel engine. She is very young.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

The one I hate the most at the moment is the Cillit Bang advert

"HI - I'M BARRY SCOTT!!!!"

I don't care and there's really no need to shout. Really, really annoying!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Sheila's Wheels - need I say more?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We're amongst the 1% of the country who don't have a TV, can't say I miss it!!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

As I use the adverts to make phone calls/go to the loo/ get something from the fridge/ put the kettle on etc., I don't have any pet hates or likes - although I do watch out for the Boss adverts....

My Mum was in a Vodaphone advert for a couple of weeks last year, and I used to screen for that, but otherwise...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

marty wrote:The one I hate the most at the moment is the Cillit Bang advert

I agree - any advert in which someone is shouting a lot is extremely irritating.

'Tango' springs to mind, as do various crappy tabloid-related things.

Oh, and the ladies may disagree here, but any beauty product ads which quickly reel of a list of obscure ingredients with silly names which are meant to sound impressively scientific also make me wince. As I said, others may disagree here, and I confess complete ignorance of Beta Hydroxy complexes, pro-tensium and other such fascinating things (and yes, I did nick those names from a cosmetics website).

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Richard Ruck wrote:
marty wrote:The one I hate the most at the moment is the Cillit Bang advert

I agree - any advert in which someone is shouting a lot is extremely irritating.

'Tango' springs to mind, as do various crappy tabloid-related things.

Oh, and the ladies may disagree here, but any beauty product ads which quickly reel of a list of obscure ingredients with silly names which are meant to sound impressively scientific also make me wince. As I said, others may disagree here, and I confess complete ignorance of Beta Hydroxy complexes, pro-tensium and other such fascinating things (and yes, I did nick those names from a cosmetics website).
We think those ads are a load of boswelox too.