Family tree

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

It doesn't help that my parents both told entirely different family stories to my sister and me. There is a 12 year gap in our ages, so maybe I got the later improved version. I only know that there is a mystery french character in my father's family and that my mother's maternal grandmother was Jewish and married out (and yes,Jude, I think that makes me technically Jewish)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Vonny wrote:Well last night I googled a name in my family & found a forum where someone had posted in March about the same name. I replied to their post and within minutes I had an email back :shock: And what's more the woman is related to me and has emailed me a copy of a family tree containing loads of names and dates I was trying to find out! Very pleased as this has saved me a fair bit of work.
That must have been very exciting Vonny. Last year I met an Inner Wheel member from Northern Queensland. She knew her father had come from Malta and knew a few names, she wrote to the Inner Wheel Club there - only to find the Secretary was a cousin!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:
Vonny wrote:Well last night I googled a name in my family & found a forum where someone had posted in March about the same name. I replied to their post and within minutes I had an email back :shock: And what's more the woman is related to me and has emailed me a copy of a family tree containing loads of names and dates I was trying to find out! Very pleased as this has saved me a fair bit of work.
That must have been very exciting Vonny. Last year I met an Inner Wheel member from Northern Queensland. She knew her father had come from Malta and knew a few names, she wrote to the Inner Wheel Club there - only to find the Secretary was a cousin!!
It was exciting - I was amazed to receive a response back so quick!

It certainly is a small world!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

This is another thing I got completely obsessed with last summer before the trauma of the house move. I've used Genes Reunited, Ancestry.com and 1837 something or other. We're trying to trace my grandfather's father, but having only one reference to his name in all the papers, it is proving very difficult.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I am planning on looking into mine in a few years, parents have over theyears told me a through interesting bits like a famous smuggler shot on the beach on my mothers side! After reading this thread i may start now it now as it soubds like it goes from being a hobby to a full on obsession! :)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

blondie95 wrote:parents have over theyears told me a through interesting bits like a famous smuggler shot on the beach on my mothers side!
I found out that one of my paternal relatives was jailed for 8 months for smuggling :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

cj wrote:This is another thing I got completely obsessed with last summer before the trauma of the house move. I've used Genes Reunited, Ancestry.com and 1837 something or other. We're trying to trace my grandfather's father, but having only one reference to his name in all the papers, it is proving very difficult.
If you have a name and an area you might pick him up from censuses which also give an age.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Vonny wrote:
Katharine wrote:
It was exciting - I was amazed to receive a response back so quick!

It certainly is a small world!
Great news Vonny :D

My wife has had similar luck but I seem destined to have to do it the long way!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

blondie95 wrote:I am planning on looking into mine in a few years, parents have over theyears told me a through interesting bits like a famous smuggler shot on the beach on my mothers side! After reading this thread i may start now it now as it soubds like it goes from being a hobby to a full on obsession! :)

What on earth was your mother doing on the beach with him ???

(Sorry Blondie ! I just couldn't resist it !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
cj wrote:This is another thing I got completely obsessed with last summer before the trauma of the house move. I've used Genes Reunited, Ancestry.com and 1837 something or other. We're trying to trace my grandfather's father, but having only one reference to his name in all the papers, it is proving very difficult.
If you have a name and an area you might pick him up from censuses which also give an age.
Nothing comes up on the English or Scottish census records in a 50 year + or - range. Prison? Or services abroad? Or dead or a false name? Who knows. Will try the Mormons.

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

cj wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
Nothing comes up on the English or Scottish census records in a 50 year + or - range. Prison? Or services abroad? Or dead or a false name? Who knows. Will try the Mormons.
If you can locate Grandad's birth certificate that will give Great grandad's name and Great grandma's maiden name.

You can then locate the marriage certificate of the great grandparents if they married after 1837. The way to tell you've found the right one is to look BOTH names up. If the numbers are identical then you have the right certificate.

It costs £8.50 to get copy certificates if you can quote the book reference number and registration quarter. Local offices do it for £7.50 but vary in level of competence in my experience.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
cj wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: If you have a name and an area you might pick him up from censuses which also give an age.
If you can locate Grandad's birth certificate that will give Great grandad's name and Great grandma's maiden name.

We have the birth certificate, but no name is given for the father. The parents were not married and she didn't subsequently look after the child. The records for Queen Charlotte's hospital only indicate when she was taken in and how much the baby weighed (fascinating in itself, and seeing the other women in at the same time, but not much help with a name). The only indication we have for the name is on one of my grandfather's army documents when he was given his commission, so we have been trying that, but it could be made up. The Red Cross and Fusiliers are searching their papers for info, but that takes 6 months as grandad is not "current". Fingers crossed but I'm not hopeful. The mother's family were very poor and lived opposite Coldbathfields Prison in Clerkenwell, so it's been very interesting studying the Booth poor maps for that area. Add in episodes of puerperal mania after childbirth with her mother, abandonment and court dressmakers, it's the stuff novels are made of. Maybe one day when I get my act together ...

Why is the font so big? It looks like I'm shouting!

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

J.R. wrote:
blondie95 wrote:I am planning on looking into mine in a few years, parents have over theyears told me a through interesting bits like a famous smuggler shot on the beach on my mothers side! After reading this thread i may start now it now as it soubds like it goes from being a hobby to a full on obsession! :)

What on earth was your mother doing on the beach with him ???

(Sorry Blondie ! I just couldn't resist it !)
now that made me laugh, i generally say or now type things that come out toally how i dont want them too!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Vonny wrote:
blondie95 wrote:parents have over theyears told me a through interesting bits like a famous smuggler shot on the beach on my mothers side!
I found out that one of my paternal relatives was jailed for 8 months for smuggling :lol:
and one of mine was a customs watchman!!!! (but that was 1610)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I haven't seen it mentioned so I suggest peeps look at

"Genuki" (google for the full address)

seems to be short for Geneaology UK Ireland
I think it is the oldest web site on the subject and always used to be very good.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!