Fat women and babies - something to chew on...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it fair to exclude fat women from IVF?

Yes - lardy ladies should adopt instead
29%
No - they should be allowed the chance to have children
14%
I'm hungry - what was the question again?
10%
Fiona Bruce is nice
48%

Total votes: 21

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A 15 wrote:
soc wrote:I was a bus driver for a while working on the East Grinstead to Reigate run and I had the utter misfortune to regularly get a passenger who swore blind that he worked for the Martian Embassy in East Grinstead. I got religion for while on that route......"Oh God don't let that barn pot be there today!"
Isn't there a big scientology temple at East Grinstead? Maybe he had something to do with that.

Just out of curiosity how come a guy living in Burnley and using strange foreign Northern words like Barn pot :wink: supports Spuds?
East Grinstead is full of nutters - I think it's on a 'ley' line or similar...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

[quote="Mid A 15"]Isn't there a big scientology temple at East Grinstead? Maybe he had something to do with that.

I think it's a Mormon Temple - strange enough in their own way but on a different level from the Scientologists.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Potted history of SOC....
I am a Londoner born and bred, hence being a follower of THFC, I am also a glutton for punishment so there is another reason!

I have moved all around the country over the years but upon the break up of my first marriage, I met a wonderful woman from Burnley and moved up to be with her. She is now my wife and we have a young daughter whom I am nuts about.

The local pastime of Liverpudlian baiting is great fun by the way. ( I just bet I get a load of posts from Liverpudlians now )
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

cj wrote:Returning to the subject. Again!! Looking from the other perspective, should obsessive dieters who have ruined their reproductivity through starvation be given assistance to conceive?
soc wrote:CJ, I would first ask what sort of help you are talking about? Counselling would be a good place to start. The only thing with hard and fast rules about who should and who shouldn't get help seems to be dangerous ground. I could be wrong but there it is.
I'm playing devil's advocate here, and trying to turn the question the other way round and see things from the other perspective. Obsessive dieting and obsessive over-eating are two ends of the same spectrum, except that common perception has thin people = attractive and healthy, whilst overweight people = lazy, greedy and ugly.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

cj wrote:
cj wrote:Returning to the subject. Again!! Looking from the other perspective, should obsessive dieters who have ruined their reproductivity through starvation be given assistance to conceive?
soc wrote:CJ, I would first ask what sort of help you are talking about? Counselling would be a good place to start. The only thing with hard and fast rules about who should and who shouldn't get help seems to be dangerous ground. I could be wrong but there it is.
I'm playing devil's advocate here, and trying to turn the question the other way round and see things from the other perspective. Obsessive dieting and obsessive over-eating are two ends of the same spectrum, except that common perception has thin people = attractive and healthy, whilst overweight people = lazy, greedy and ugly.
I reiterate my position on all this.

It is legitimate to question whether or not a State Health Service (i.e NHS) should offer certain treatments e.g IVF.

However if the NHS DOES offer a particular treatment then it should be available to all, regardless of lifestyle, in a free, democratic society.

Any other approach would be oppressive and totalitarian in my opinion.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

cj wrote: Obsessive dieting and obsessive over-eating are two ends of the same spectrum, except that common perception has thin people = attractive and healthy, whilst overweight people = lazy, greedy and ugly.
Victoria Beckham?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:
cj wrote: Obsessive dieting and obsessive over-eating are two ends of the same spectrum, except that common perception has thin people = attractive and healthy, whilst overweight people = lazy, greedy and ugly.
Victoria Beckham?
Nice one, Midget.

I heard in the news today the Italians are banning 'stick' models from the cat-walks. About time too !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:Isn't there a big scientology temple at East Grinstead? Maybe he had something to do with that.
Yes, there was. I know that the Govt / Charities Commission tried to close it down and there were threats of legal action but I didn't hear of any followup.
loringa wrote:I think it's a Mormon Temple - strange enough in their own way but on a different level from the Scientologists.
Now't too much wrong with them - unless you are a woman who does not like sharing her man (but that is only one sect of the Mormons anyway and their leader has just been done in the USA)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Isn't there a big scientology temple at East Grinstead? Maybe he had something to do with that.
Yes, there was. I know that the Govt / Charities Commission tried to close it down and there were threats of legal action but I didn't hear of any followup.
loringa wrote:I think it's a Mormon Temple - strange enough in their own way but on a different level from the Scientologists.
Now't too much wrong with them - unless you are a woman who does not like sharing her man (but that is only one sect of the Mormons anyway and their leader has just been done in the USA)
It's still there and going strong. I drove past it the other day.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I really hope that nut from the "Martian Embassy" isnt there anymore, or if he is, please let him be wearing an "I love me" jacket
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The 'mainstream' Mormons haven't practised polygamy sice the late 19th century, and

Did you know?

The Mormons have an enormous family archive open to anyone researching their family tree.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:The 'mainstream' Mormons haven't practised polygamy sice the late 19th century, and

Did you know?

The Mormons have an enormous family archive open to anyone researching their family tree.
Yes ! Jan has used it several times.

Is Polygamy when you marry a Parrot ??? :oops:
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I didn't know about that resource the Mormons have, thanks guys, I will give it a look.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

soc wrote:I didn't know about that resource the Mormons have, thanks guys, I will give it a look.
Mentioned it before; most (?all) their temples have an attached Family History Centre / Center which anyone can visit free of charge. They have on site / have access to a vast mountain of info, some of which is also available from main libraries. My local one is staffed by very knowledgable and helpful people.

IF they have to get info (say a census) from elsewhere there is a pretty nominal charge.

Their staff are prohibited from talking about their faith unless the viitor specifically asks so no pressure.

Highly recommended.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"