JR And Any Other Fans Of

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

JR And Any Other Fans Of

Post by Mid A 15 »

ladies football.

I and two of my daughters have just returned home from The Valley where we watched the World Cup Qualifier between England and Holland.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening having really only attended at the behest of my youngest.

The technical play was excellent and England in particular played from the back, through the midfield and predominantly on the floor which was pleasing to watch. England won 4-0 and all the goals were of excellent quality. Kelly Smith scored a hatrick and looked a very decent player.

England also had a tricky little winger, Karen Carney, whose crossing would put to shame many men players I've seen at The Valley over more years than I care to remember!

The evening was great value and entertainment and it is a shame that, in a ground with a capacity of more than 27,000, only 7,931 were there to see the match. I got the impression though that was a good attendance by the normal standards of womens football.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My husband was watching this on TV and apparently one of the commentators siad "One of the opposition has 57 Dutch caps."

He may have been young, because my 20 year old son had to think about it for a while.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Unfortunately, due to youngest daughters long weekend away, I missed it. (Dog sitting - An 8 stone Rotty !)

I'm hoping to catch some highlights on one of her sports channels tonight.

We took our footy girls to Woking last winter to see the England under 18's play Switzerland. A lovely evening out.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I still haven't see the highligts, BUT....................

Joy of joy. After watching Dorking Girls Under 13's play their first seasonal friendly in Guildford, we all trooped to Meadowbank, Dorking FC's home.

AFC Wimbledon Ladies Reserves are using our ground for their home games for part of this season, and we watched them play West Ham Ladies Reserves.

A wonderful afternoons entertainment with a few cheap jars of amber nectar to accompany it.

For those interested, the score was a draw at 1 - 1 !

I must say, the oddest thing during the game was when I heard a girl screaming

......... "MAN ON !! MAN ON !!"

It conjured up a completely different image from the marvellous game of football !
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Women still getting drawers, eh? .... as for 1 to 1 ....................
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:Women still getting drawers, eh? .... as for 1 to 1 ....................
Just for you David - I did 'overhear' a rather interesting conversation in the bar after the game between two opposing, rather WELL endowed girls discussing how they dealt with the problem of a good firm sports bra not coming up to the mark when playing football.

Lets just say, that cling-film entered the equation.

Oh, to be a fly on the dressing room wall in two weeks time !