Davebythesea is closing in

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Cats are strange and intriguing

See the film "Breakfast at Tiffanys"

There's a very cool cat there who is as unfazed (unphased?) by the party noise as the marmalade cat at the Chelsea Arts Club

What I love about cats is just that bit of them that remains wild - even a tame one

They are selfish but they are also clever enough to know how to get what they want

Though one of my cats - a very stupid animal indeed is just so thick you sort of love him for that - he always reminds me of Oliver Hardy
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

DavebytheSea wrote:Sometimes cats arrive and demand to be taken in. No amount of putting them outside or sticking notices up in the Post Office window seems to do any good.

The odd thing is, that they never do this in an anti cat household.
I'm not anti-cat I'm non-cat. And have a fear of having to look after a living thing... And a cat is unlikely to demand to be taken in by me cos I live on the second floor. Which is lucky because I wouldn't know how to put it outside - do you have to pick it up? Never done that.

Are we by any chance off topic? Sorry if so.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Don't worry Ruth - you can never be off topic when a cat is involved..... Whether you are a cat lover or not.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

huntertitus wrote:
J.R. wrote:Cats DO NOT purr because they are content. They will purr loadly when in intense pain. Another form of communication.

Have you learnt to 'eye-kiss' with your cats yet ?

Lesson over for the day ! Don't forget to do your homework !
I don't understand the bit about purring not being a sign of pleasure

But I do know that if you blink at a cat it blinks back and it is a friendly gesture
MY OWN PERSONAL view on purring is, as I said, a form of communication. A kitten purrs when it suckles from its Mother. Purring is a relaxing sound to both Mother and babe. I have picked up an injured cat in the road and it immediately started purring, even though obviously in pain, almost as if it new I was going to do everything in my power to help it..

Your reference to blinking is the basic form of eye kissing. Not just a quick blink. Get a cats attention when its at rest - Get eye contact and fairly slowly shut and open your eyes. 9 times out of ten the cat will respond in exactly the same way. Its a form of greeting and means, 'Hallo ! I mean you NO harm and I accept you !'
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

My mother's advice to me on the opposite sex was never trust a man who doesn't like cats.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cj wrote:My mother's advice to me on the opposite sex was never trust a man who doesn't like cats.
Your Mother must indeed be a very astute woman.

A cat breeder friend of ours has the following sign on his front door.

"This house contains cats ! If you don't like cats, P1SS OFF !"
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Winston Churchill loved cats

So did Augustus John

That's enough for me
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

I knew there'd be a certain amount of "pro-cat" feeling (DBTS don't say a word) on the forum. Just don't label me anti-cat cos I'm not.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Why are you so worried about being labelled anti cat?

My beloved wife hates cats but me and my daughter love them

I completely understand why she hates them and it does not have any
bearing on my feelings for her

If you hate cats stand up and shout it from the rooftops

We need diversity or life would be more shallow
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

As a cat owner (albeit reluctantly, five years ago, when I would not have classified myself as a cat lover...) I would still say that one either loves or does not like cats. (And from five years ago, my two CH cats have brought me round into complete slavery.....). However I recognise the legitimacy of both points of view. Ruth's position is in the middle.. she does not know whether she might be a cat lover or a cat disliker. I recognise and respect that. Hopefully one day she will find a cat to love and vice versa, and then.......the position will be clear!
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As a devoted cat-lover I can fully understand that some people have no affinity with cats. I think the word 'hate' is a little strong and might imply a persons wish to harm all cats.

Just to throw another Spaniard into the Works, (Thanks, Sir Spike), I would like to point out that our feline friends are FAR more intelligent and resourceful than any canine.

......... and before you start pointing a finger, I am also a devoted dog lover too, Youngest daughter has the biggest, gentlest Rotty boy you're probably ever like to see and she has just adopted a Staffy bitch pup.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Cats, yes please. But I just can't understand the dog thing, especially rottweillers and staffordshire bull terriers. In fact any dog. I think my uneasiness around dogs stems from an incident when my mum and I were delivering magazines around our village. I must have been 6 or so. A 'friendly' dog wanted to get a bit closer and reared up on its hind legs to greet me. It became twice as big, slobbering and barking and freaked me out. I can't 'read' dogs like I can cats, so I don't know when they're friendly or not. Plus they seem to be too dependant for my liking; walking, clearing up poo, taking them on holiday etc.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

And there was me thinking you are a kick ass kinda girl cj afraid of nothing!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I agree with CJ i do not see the appeal of dogs, having to constantly make sure they get outside to do their business and also they are rather intimerdating i think.Cats are brilliant, they are incredibly loyal, my parents have 3 and two follow mum round the house all the time when she is on her own. Mine and the bf's cat is so loyal and purrs so loudly when we get back from work and when we get up in the morning as she gets attention again!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well, I have both (cats and a dog) and I love them all. The dog thinks the cats are dogs, and they think she is a cat. They play together, nick each others toys, sleep indiscriminately in each other's beds (including trying to bunk me out of mine), so I would say that while cats and dogs are DIFFERENT, they are equally lovable.
And thinking back, what on EARTH has this got to do with DBTS?.....
Kerren Simmonds