I think I saw

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jeeves wrote:I live in Brighton and very rarely see famous people... when I was working in one of Brighton's leading record collectors shops the 'famous people' used to come in on days that I wasn't there (I missed the opportunity of meeting Brian Wilson)! Over the last two years I have only spotted a few: Mark Williams (Fast Show), Fatboy Slim (in a VW Camper) and Robert Rankin.
Funny you should say that, Jeevsie.

On a recent day jaunt down to Brighton, with a couple of Grand-Kids, I saw FBS and his GORGEOUS wife strolling around the Marina, arm in arm. Hardly anybody seemed to recognise them !

So nice to see they have kissed and made up.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I was intrigued by this question as I wonder how people react when they "bump" into someone famous?

When in Buenos Aires, my wife and I went into an ice cream parlour to get some takeaway, as one does in BA, and the only other customer was Bernardo Neustadt, (http://www.bernardoneustadt.org), a very well known political commentator, who had both a morning radio programme and an evening TV programme. He was easily recognisable, but we decided he was just another customer and apart from nodding to him, as a way of saying hallo, we ignored him. As his order hadn't arrived, he wandered out onto the pavement where a young lad cycled up and asked for his autograph, which he was very pleased to give.
My wife claimed we should have engaged him in conversation, but since we would probably never see him again, I thought politely acknowledging his presence was sufficient. The same as I would do to anyone.

On another celebrity, maybe someone can suggest a reason for the following:
I was on a flight from New Jersey to Miami and sat next to someone who turned out to be Eddie Murphy's manager. Eddie Murphy was sitting behind me on the window seat on the other side of the aisle.
A colleague of mine was sitting right up the front near the toilets.
During the flight, Murphy got up to go to the toilet and my colleague says that he wore black leather gloves. The thing is that he went into the toilet with the gloves on and came out with them on.
Why could that be?
When they got off, Murphy, who is quite tall, was surrounded by his mananger and 3 body guards, and the 5 of them, with Murphy in the middle, marched through the airport giving no-one any chance to get near.
Hollywood I suppose.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Sad to say, our local celebrity is Russell Grant, and I have seen him fairly frequently. He lives in the area, a bit closer to me than Bryn Terfel (but I have never seen him just around the place). We do have a fair bit of filming at the Railway for various TV programmes, mainly but not entirely Welsh medium.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I met Sir Cliff Richard a few years ago in London but since I have moved to Burnley, the only famous person seen anywhere near here was Alex Ferguson when he brought a Manchester United 2nd XI to beat the living daylights out of Burnley in the Coca Cola Cup.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Living in London I've seen lots of famous people over the years (mostly in the street or a bar): Chris Evans, Noel Gallagher, Jarvis Cocker, Pete Townshend, that twit Doherty, Kate Moss, Hugh Dennis, Mr Swainey from One Foot in the Grave, Ricky Gervais, Shance MacGowan, Zoe Ball, Stefan Dennis (Paul in Neighbours), Cliff Richard, Paul Merton, James Bolam, Jim Davidson, Peter Snow, David Beckham, Tim McInnerny, Jason Leanord & The Paxman (to name but a few). I used to live near Boris Johnson (he lives in Highbury) and would regularly see him out jogging on Holloway Road.

The weird thing when you see a famous person is that you recognise them and your brain therefore momentarily tricks you into thinking you know them. I once almost walked into the bass player from Stereophonics (famous band for all you oldies) and being a bit startled I went to say hello before realising who he was. Bit embarassing...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Vivienne Westwood, Francis Maude, Dave Benson-Phillips, Sally Gunnell have all been in the shop/petrol station i worked in during uni holidays on A24, and my brother saw in same shop other day Jodie Kidd!!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote:I was at Madame Tussaud's last Saturday - I saw lots of famous people there! :lol:
:roll: :roll: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

my cousin has been living in Chelsea and the peope she saw especially in Tescos but the best was James Hewitt in Ann Summers on the Kings Road
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

blondie - just seen your avatar pic. What an enormously pretty lady you are. Do be careful, though - there are some very predatory males around here! :wink:
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Darcey Bussell - (ballerina) giving M & Ms to my grandchildren who were on the same flight as her.

Sophia Ragavelas - (musical lead in West End) - next bedroom!

far too many politicians of different colours - in the local square. They seemed to like it round here especially when TB was holidaying but they come back
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

DavebytheSea wrote:blondie - just seen your avatar pic. What an enormously pretty lady you are. Do be careful, though - there are some very predatory males around here! :wink:
Be careful - she's the daughter of a teacher!!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

soc wrote:I met Sir Cliff Richard a few years ago in London
At the end of the '60's and in the early '70's, my sister was a dancer in pantomime and at the Palladium, performing with the likes of Cliff Richard, Tommy Steele, who knitted her a scarf!!!, Morecambe and Wise etc etc.
Her first was pantomime at Coventry with Frankie Vaughan, Norman Vaughan, Anita Harris and Feddy "Parrot Face" Davies.
Since it was the end of my first term at Nottingham, I bussed across to visit her. We met in the theatre bar, just after morning rehearsal and some of the stars came in for a coffee. Such was my hangover that it wasn't until my sister arrived that I discovered I was standing next to Anita Harris and her Afghan dog.
They all look so different without make-up. Especially the dog.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

For the younger members on here, my son sat next to Chris Pontius (of jackass fame) on the Underground.

I often see John Nettles in Tesco as we live in Midsomer country.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Well, while we`re (sort of) in "who do you know?" mode, my only claim to fame (??) is that I used to teach Jon Lee of S Club!

I wouldn`t recognise a "celebrity " if I fell over one, I`m afraid - I just never remember faces uless they`re in a classroom - and even then not always!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The weird thing when you see a famous person is that you recognise them and your brain therefore momentarily tricks you into thinking you know them. I once almost walked into the bass player from Stereophonics (famous band for all you oldies) and being a bit startled I went to say hello before realising who he was. Bit embarassing...
I have done this. The woman was a newsreader at the time, and around my age, so I thought I knew her from school, gave her the big hello, oops.

To give her her due she said hello back, I suppose it happens all the time to people like that.

My husband is semi-well-known in his sphere (horse racing) and is often recognised when he goes to the races, so he has now startd taking leggy 18 year-old daughter with him instead of frumpy 50 something wife.

Daughter is also better at picking winners actually.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"