Shana Tova to you all!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

Shana Tova to you all!

Post by Jude »

Tonight is the start of Jewish New Year - so L'shana Tova to you all
that means happy new year!

if you feel like joining me in a celebration then take an apple and dip a slice in honey - rather yummy, but very traditional!

Yehudit

(my name in Hebrew)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

A Happy New Year to you too, Yehudit.

How many different calendars are in use still around the world? I don't know how many different kinds of New Year I have celebrated in different parts of the world certainly Lunar (Chinese), Ba'hai, Muslim as well as Jewish.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

A Happy New Year, Jude, from me and my Great-grandmother Rachel Absolom.(How about that for a name?)
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

As I have posted before, I live in a mainly Asian area so Ramadam is very big here. Eid at the end of it is some celebration and it is so enjoyable if you enjoy Asian cooking beacuase they give the stuff away to their neighbours. Matam is when the Shiites beat their chests and that is one heck of a spectacle although the Sunnies who are in the majority here regard it as blasphemy and get rather tetchy about the whole thing
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

midget wrote:A Happy New Year, Jude, from me and my Great-grandmother Rachel Absolom.(How about that for a name?)
Maggie
she has a very good name!!! Have you looked it up in Hebrew? I think it means "of Solomon" -
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

soc wrote:As I have posted before, I live in a mainly Asian area so Ramadam is very big here. Eid at the end of it is some celebration and it is so enjoyable if you enjoy Asian cooking beacuase they give the stuff away to their neighbours. Matam is when the Shiites beat their chests and that is one heck of a spectacle although the Sunnies who are in the majority here regard it as blasphemy and get rather tetchy about the whole thing
Shouldn't there by a hyphen between the 'i's' ?

Might make the pronounciation a little easier. Then, on the other hand.........
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

As you say JR, on the other hand
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

J.R. wrote:
soc wrote:As I have posted before, I live in a mainly Asian area so Ramadam is very big here. Eid at the end of it is some celebration and it is so enjoyable if you enjoy Asian cooking beacuase they give the stuff away to their neighbours. Matam is when the Shiites beat their chests and that is one heck of a spectacle although the Sunnies who are in the majority here regard it as blasphemy and get rather tetchy about the whole thing

JR - don't go there or you will end up with only one hand to wipe yours with
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Ouch! JR that sounds really painful
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

J.R. wrote:

Am I the only person on this forum who finds this joke offensive? If I am, then I am disappointed in what an education at CH stands for.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

When I posted Shiites it wasn't meant as a joke you know, I just forgot the apostrophe.

But why do people get upset about jokes about other peoples when I have had to endure jokes about being Catholic or being of Irish descent and do so with a smile because people are just joking after all. I have learned over the years to accept it even if most of the jokes I hear aren't funny. Along comes a gag about a muslim group and here we go it isn't funny, why is that not funny when Irish jokes are?

Neither I nor JR mean't any harm to anyone. What genuinely annoys me beyond belief is that the matter is not dealt with via a PM and so person to person. Now there is a post that is personally abusive about my integrity and claiming that I am in someway letting CH down. Say that to me personnally next time.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

It was not your missing appostrophe that I thought was offensive, it was the following joke that I found offensive.
Perhaps I am over sensative but it does concern me that those in the minority have to tolerate being called offensive names, and I think it is important to stand up and say so rather than always leave it to the targets of such comments to either put up with it have to address it alone.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I once had the experience of being told by a colleague (that word looks silly) 'who would be a Welsh Jewish catholic? At least I'm only black!' He was a really charming Nigerian who teased every one that came into his office
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

AKAP and I have spoken in PM, he has shared his view, I have shared mine. Now we can all move on from here in friendship
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Happy Jewish New Year - what traditionally happens then?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99