Let's have a proper blokes' discussion about rugby

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

How many of their tests will England win this November?

4 - cos they're world champions and really quite super
6%
3 - cos they ain't that good anymore
6%
2 - cost they're pretty rubbish actually
24%
1 - and even then that'll be against Argentina
18%
0 - 15 Fiona Bruces would do better
24%
Sorry- the thought of 15 Fiona Bruce's in shorts has sent me all funny
24%

Total votes: 17

marty
Grecian

Let's have a proper blokes' discussion about rugby

Post by marty »

Opinions on the forthcoming internationals please! I've got tickets to the All Blacks game and the 2nd test v South Africa (and yes I've got a friend to come with me this time). Whilst I'd love to see England win all four games realistically I think they'll win two. Disappointed to see Balshaw in the England team as he's rubbish but good to see Anthony Allen in the mighty white!

And yes, women can join in!!!!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I'm more interested in the All Blacks :) I'm going to see All Blacks vs Wales on the 25th. All blacks seem to have a pretty good side (or so I hear..) so I guess it depends how England play against them....
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Let's have a proper blokes' discussion about rugby

Post by Mid A 15 »

marty wrote:Opinions on the forthcoming internationals please! I've got tickets to the All Blacks game and the 2nd test v South Africa (and yes I've got a friend to come with me this time). Whilst I'd love to see England win all four games realistically I think they'll win two. Disappointed to see Balshaw in the England team as he's rubbish but good to see Anthony Allen in the mighty white!

And yes, women can join in!!!!
I think two is probably right.

Despite being only a year or so from the next World Cup England still seems a team in transition in too many positions.

Perry has the potential to be as influential as Dawson used to be so hopefully he will be successful.

Allen, as you say, is an interesting selection. I feel sorry for Tait though. I fear he will be forever tainted by Henson's tackle, although in fairness I think he (Tait) may have been injured lately.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Dependes what happens on Sunday, I think. England could be in for an almighty shafting if they're not careful.

As usual, the front 5 look pretty strong (although all 3 members of the back row seem to have been picked out of position), and I've no doubt that we'll get our hands on plenty of ball as usual, but then what? The previous cluelessness among the girly backs has got to be eliminated.

Balshaw scares me - he's not really shown much form, and to have him at full-back is going to cause a few heart-stopping moments, I think. Still, everyone else is injured, I suppose.

Tait is injured, and has gone back to Newcastle for treatment, I believe, as he's been playing really well so far this season. Tainted by Henson's tackle? That would be Charlotte, surely??

The inclusion of a properly creative centre like Allen is long overdue, and I really hope it works well.

Cohen? I haven't seen Northampton play this season, so I'm not sure about his form, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Really glad to see Perry there.

No easy games for the forwards - the Kiwis are pretty good these days, and the Yarpies and the Argies are always strong up front, but I'm sure they won't let us down. I just pray that Brian Ashton has managed to instill a bit of creativity and ambition among the backs, otherwise we're b*ggered.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

S0d the Rugby !

Just the thought of scoring with Fiona is enough for me !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I think with such a young team its all going to go pear shaped.

If you watched the last world cup and before the linkage between dawson and Wilkinson was superb. I think you'll find on sunday's test the partnership will be any good.

As much as I hate saying it, I think that Catt should be brought on as a sub half way through. He has something about him that seems to get everyone motivated.

I think the team is too unexperienced at international level and i think the kiwi's are going to walk all over us. For a side that doesn't play week in week out together it takes a while to understand how the players around you play.

My bet is they will win at least by 30 points.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I think two

Why do they keep picking cohen and thompson? they have both been off form for at least a season now!

Chuter is your man for hooker!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Richard Ruck wrote:Tait is injured, and has gone back to Newcastle for treatment, I believe, as he's been playing really well so far this season. Tainted by Henson's tackle? That would be Charlotte, surely??

I wrote that, reread it, decided to leave it and had a mental bet with myself that JR would be the one to pick up on that :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you about the back row. There are plenty of good INDIVIDUAL back row players but finding three to play as a UNIT seems to be a problem.

Sorry about the font size the forum seems to be on a frolic of it's own as I've done nothing!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

blondie95 wrote:I think two

Why do they keep picking cohen and thompson? they have both been off form for at least a season now!

Chuter is your man for hooker!
Er, Thompson hasn't been picked!

You're right about Chuter - I particularly enjoyed watching him play against Munster. I thought the whole Leicester pack was excellent (even though they lost...).

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

i know thonspon has been picked but if fit he would be!

again this weekend against the blues are pack were brilliant, i honeslty believe they could all be bar castro in the england squad. There was a time when 6/7 of the 8 were tigers! I think they should put corry at 8 thats where he belongs and can really command the game!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

blondie95 wrote:i know thonspon has been picked but if fit he would be!!
When you say 'has' you actually mean the exact opposite, don't you?

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Richard, you should know by now that Amy always means what she doesn`t say - or always says what she doesn`t mean!!

(I`m not sure why I`m reading a rugby thread - I know nothing about it!!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Mrs C. wrote:Richard, you should know by now that Amy always means what she doesn`t say - or always says what she doesn`t mean!!

(I`m not sure why I`m reading a rugby thread - I know nothing about it!!)
exactly mrs c and as i was trying to sneakily write that post while supposed to be something else at work-typos are allowed
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

English rugby?
Don't make me laugh.
Surely the top two words are mutually exclusive since we sold our soul to Sky and set up a foreign training ground in the Premiership.
Exactly how many fly-halves in the Premiership are qualified to play for England?
Even five years ago the game was fun to watch. Now it is down to so many planned phases that it is rather like watching inept chess players who cannot think for themselves.
Kick out the coaches (all of them!) and let flair and individual expression flourish!!!
There speaks a man who was taught by Gerald Davies. Poetry...sheer poetry!
I will be surprised if England were to win one international before Christmas. Even half a South African side should be enough.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

right,

First of all you are only allowed to field one foreign player in each european game! there are not as many Europeans players in the game as there are in football!
The set moves are their for reason-we have never been that good and cant really play running backs rugby like the French. You look at the top premiership teams they are are nearly all pack driven-thats not necessarily a set move but because of its ever increasing dominance and our skill at it, it is seen as one!

And as for coaches well all I can say is Pat Howard did marvels for the Leicester backs! (well until he took over full coaching)