Let's have a proper blokes' discussion about rugby

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

How many of their tests will England win this November?

4 - cos they're world champions and really quite super
6%
3 - cos they ain't that good anymore
6%
2 - cost they're pretty rubbish actually
24%
1 - and even then that'll be against Argentina
18%
0 - 15 Fiona Bruces would do better
24%
Sorry- the thought of 15 Fiona Bruce's in shorts has sent me all funny
24%

Total votes: 17

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

The All Blacks are far superior.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

English rugby has admittedly gone downhill since 2003. I saw the world cup winning team at Twickenham in 2003 and they were just superb. At RWC2003 England scored 36 tries whereas Wales scored just 17 - less than half. Since then it's been a bit hit and miss. Still I'm looking forward to Sunday whatever the result, especially as the RFU announced today Girls Aloud will be playing after the match - yummy!!!!

Oh and well done to the Hairsprays for beating Australia.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

The School Band is to play at Twickenham again this year, I believe, after a couple of years` absence.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Mrs C. wrote:The School Band is to play at Twickenham again this year, I believe, after a couple of years` absence.
At long last! I had the luck to play there in 1996 when England played Ireland in the 5 nations. It was such a great experience and rather strange having over 70000 people sing God Save The Queen back at you.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

After the Ospreys (with 13 players away on International duty) beat the aussies (with 13 internationals in the side) anything could happen.

Does this belong in a joke thread?

Last night England were beaten 21-3 by a passer-by. The score would have been different but the opposition had to leave the pitch when her waters broke.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mrs C. wrote:Richard, you should know by now that Amy always means what she doesn`t say - or always says what she doesn`t mean!!

(I`m not sure why I`m reading a rugby thread - I know nothing about it!!)
It's those tight wotsits and bulging thights; a bit like Fiona Bruce and JR
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:Richard, you should know by now that Amy always means what she doesn`t say - or always says what she doesn`t mean!!

(I`m not sure why I`m reading a rugby thread - I know nothing about it!!)
It's those tight wotsits and bulging thights; a bit like Fiona Bruce and JR
Is that thighs or tights ??

Fiona has nice firm thighs but prefers stockings and suzzies !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

So what did we all think of today's game then? I thought England played alright, but just seemed to lack something - probably experience. The All Blacks did good, reaffirming that they are, in fact, the best rugby playing nation in the world, ever.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

20-41 - the biggest ever defeat at Twickenham. We all know that the ref made a bad call early on, but the All Blacks with a touch more precision (match rustiness?) could easily have won by 40 or 50. The game in England is at its lowest ebb for 10 or 12 years. We need to be honest about that, recognise it, and make plans for the future or we face a mountain that we will never be able to climb.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I think the score line made the defeat look worse than it was! England were robbed early on with that disallowed try. Our pack did brilliantly to challenge the All Blacks. I don't think Perry should have started, I think he would have been better as a sub as the all black 9 completely dominated him.

There were moments when we looked like the England that we all expect, and the All Blacks were no way at their best!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Amy, with all due respect your assessment is typical of the English eternal optimist. We were at least two rungs down the ladder in terms of pace, power, professionalism and execution of thought and deed. We are becoming a second class nation at this sport. Is that 5 or 6 defeats on the trot now?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Well I was at the game and whilst I'm obviously disappointed by the result I'm not actually too disheartened. The scoreline is flattering to NZ - don't get me wrong the All Blacks were the better team but they were not 20 points better. I think England will only get better and improve especially when their more experienced players return from injury (Lewsey, Vickery, Borthwick, Tindall, Worsley, Cueto, Wilkinson). Grewcock is a tough ball carrier but he is a penalty liability and for that reason I'd play Chris Jones or Simon Shaw for a few games, if only to teach Grewcock a lesson. I still think England need another kicker. Hodgson is a good runner of the ball but his kicking is inconsistent and/or poor, especially in bigger games. We need a setup like Wales - 2 or 3 kickers. Wales managed to stay in touch with Australia on Saturday because they had Henson and then Hook to back up Stephen Jones. For this reason if Wilkinson does manage to stay away from a hospital for the next week I'd put him at 12 and keep Noon at 13. Noon was outstanding in attack and defence (don't get me started on the try that never was). Sackey was quite impressive but clearly a bit naive but looks to be a good prospect - certainly a more solid defender than Varndell!!!!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Clutching at straws, Martin.
The All Blacks were 21 points better than us - the record books will show that. My fear is that this scoreline flattered a very average England side who possess a low skill level and a paucity of ideas. On reflection a margin of 30-40 points would not have been out of the question.
Thank goodness that they saved some of their players for what they see as the more testing games v France.
Robinson will be out of a job in three weeks.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Didn't see the whole match unfortunately but from snippets and highlights the English front 5 looked ok but the back row and backs looked virtual strangers at times. Not altogether surprising though given the many enforced team changes.

Credit to Jamie Noon. He is under pressure for his place but responded in the best possible way.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I think the best thing we did was not let the NZ have it all their own way, especially the forwards. And i think we must give our forwards a lot of crdit for that wonderful running line to get the ball out to Cohen who would have thought Corry playing inside centre etc????

We certainly need to improve our discipline, its funn and i hate to say this being a tigers supporter but week in week out tigers forwards give away silly penalties for bad disciplne and unfourtuantly with most of them playing for England they do it there as well!

We need Cueto back and Lewsey and a decent centre who can run a good line, since Greenwood we have lacked, Ollie Smith was finding form again however he got injured but he def is a future hope!