Let's have a proper blokes' discussion about rugby

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

How many of their tests will England win this November?

4 - cos they're world champions and really quite super
6%
3 - cos they ain't that good anymore
6%
2 - cost they're pretty rubbish actually
24%
1 - and even then that'll be against Argentina
18%
0 - 15 Fiona Bruces would do better
24%
Sorry- the thought of 15 Fiona Bruce's in shorts has sent me all funny
24%

Total votes: 17

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

blondie95 wrote: I don't think Perry should have started, I think he would have been better as a sub as the all black 9 completely dominated him.
I thought he played quite well, actually, although as an ex-2nd row forward I'm no expert on the intricacies scrum half play.

As our forwards didn't manage to exert their usual control over proceedings Perry had to deal with a lot of iffy ball and did so quite successfully.

Still, it's a sad state of affairs when Balshaw (or Gaybar, as he's known in some rugby circles) is the best full back we can put out.

Sackey did OK too - winning your first cap on the wing against New Zealand at Twickenham must be pretty nerve-wracking.

Howard's right about the low levels of skill and creativity, though. One school of thought would lay the blame for this on the fact that it's possible to be relegated from the Guinness Premiership, which can have dire financial consequences for a club and its players. The feeling is that players are being coached to play safe and not lose matches, rather than to win matches in an adventurous but slightly risky manner.

However, the same system exists in the Top 14 in France, but they seem to manage somewhat better than English teams.

The provincial systems which exist in other major rugby-playing nations allow teams (if they so wish) to play expansive but risky rugby, which may take a few seasons to come together, without running the risk of disappearing into the void. I mean, even the Welsh are starting to look good in comparison (apart from that orange bloke).

I still maintain that there is still something in the English sporting psyche which values things like 'graft', 'honesty', 'work-rate' etc. above skill and individual flair.

The English team had plenty of grafters yesterday, but we all saw which team had all the skill.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

England not doing too well aye?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

no not really, Robinson has to go now, they got rid of everyone else he is weak! But I cant think who could replace him? Maybe the ex wasps coach who left couple seasons ago?

As for this afternoon's performance i don't know what Robinson had them doing all week, nothing seemed to connect. And he should listen to the commentators Corry is no8 not Sanderson, they need someone at the back of the scrum who can command and communicate with the forwards and backs! Something Corry has always done at club and country level!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Two out of four - right so far!
Robinson will be out of a job by December. I suppose the buck has to stop somewhere, but our players remain overcoached and lacking in flair.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

No mistaking it England were not good today, the two tries aside. As I keep saying the kicking is so poor it's just not funny, although they were pretty rubbish all around the park as well.

Despite this we are playing South Africa who lost badly to Ireland so next week's game should be fiery at least! On another note England lost by 20 points to the All Blacks but France today lost by over 40 - there is justice!!!!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

that did make me feel a bit better the fact the all blacks ripped the French apart-they need taking down a peg or two!
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

This may sound daft but I know someone who would really love to get tickets to a Twickenham match but maintains they are all allocated via lottery of members, in which so far he has not been fortunate....

Is this an accurate reflection of the situation or are there ways and means...?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Happy wrote:This may sound daft but I know someone who would really love to get tickets to a Twickenham match but maintains they are all allocated via lottery of members, in which so far he has not been fortunate....

Is this an accurate reflection of the situation or are there ways and means...?
It's easy to get tickets but you need to be either a member of a rugby club or in my case a member of the ERSC (England Rugby Supporters Club). It costs £40 to join the ERSC and then you get emails inviting you buy extra tickets, as well as being entered into a ballot for the November internationals and 6 nations. So far I've been to see Wales, the Barbarians, NZ and next week South Africa. Shame about the standard of rugby (except against Wales which was great)!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

or if season ticket holder at one of premiership clubs you can go into a lottery of tickets allocated to them!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

marty wrote:.....the kicking is so poor it's just not funny,
Balshaw! I know he bagged a try, by how many times did you see him collect the ball in his own 22, look clueless for a bit, then just hoof the thing back upfield?

Very depressing.

Oh well, at least Bristol won (again).

I managed to watch most of the France - N.Z. game on S4C (commentary in Welsh, but it didn't matter). I was expecting a much more closely-fought contest, to be honest, but those Kiwis are rather good, aren't they?

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

someone in the England camp has finally seen sense putting Corry back at no.8! Playing Noon and Tait who play well together week in week out! Hopefully Hodgeson can kick this week and not just kick possession away as can Balshaw not do that and thank goodness Lewsey is playing although personally think he should be at full back!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

blondie95 wrote:someone in the England camp has finally seen sense putting Corry back at no.8! Playing Noon and Tait who play well together week in week out! Hopefully Hodgeson can kick this week and not just kick possession away as can Balshaw not do that and thank goodness Lewsey is playing although personally think he should be at full back!
Couldn't agree more, Blondie.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Having a back row playing in their proper positions will make a refreshing change.

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

and to make matters worse dad got tickets for the match on sat and is taking my little bro who wont come home from uni for a weekend to see mum and dad but once told England ticket on offer he was home like a shot! Its not fair I tell you!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

No thoughts on the two South African matches?

Or is it all too depressing?

It does look as though Robinson is going to walk now but who should replace him?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72