Paul Simon Wembley Arena 10th November 2006

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Great Plum wrote:I would have loved to have gone to that gig! Did he play anything from Graceland?

His new CD is meant to be good as well...
He did Diamonds from the Soles of her Shoes and also the title track from Gracelands. Gracelands just has to be the best track from that album in my opinion.
Throughout the entire concert he said very little, mostly it was song after song.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

shoz wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I would have loved to have gone to that gig! Did he play anything from Graceland?

He did Diamonds from the Soles of her Shoes and also the title track from Gracelands. Gracelands just has to be the best track from that album in my opinion.
Throughout the entire concert he said very little, mostly it was song after song.
Agree about Graceland. He did it superbly and I've still got it in my head all these days later!

Welcome back by the way :)
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Mid A 15 wrote:
shoz wrote:

Agree about Graceland. He did it superbly and I've still got it in my head all these days later!

Welcome back by the way :)
:oops: Thanks!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I remember watching a documentary about Gracelands and he said that the title track was the best song he had ever written!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

It certainly is the 'old' Paul Simon at his best. He went sightly off track with Songs from the Capeman, didn't like all the swearing in that. But Surprise isn't a bad album. Safe to say that I don't think he will ever do another Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

shoz wrote:Safe to say that I don't think he will ever do another Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Perhaps there is a God after all! :wink:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Richard Ruck wrote:
shoz wrote:Safe to say that I don't think he will ever do another Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Perhaps you're not quite as big a fan as I am of Paul. In my humble opinion, Bridge, and The Boxer from the same album are two of the finest pieces of music ever written.
(Sorry, had to edit my spelling, again!)
Last edited by shoz on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

shoz wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
Perhaps you're not quite as big a fan as I am of Paul.
Correct! Very talented, just not my cup of tea.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

shoz wrote:In my humble opinion, Bridge, and The Boxer from the same album are two of the finest pieces of music ever written.
No, Shoz; Albatross (Fleetwood Mac) comes in as finest- I'll allow "Brige over Troubled Waters" as second.

Paul Simon is in the top rank, yes but don't forget The Outlaws who didn't have electronics to help them play but acheived the same sounds.

Ok, I'm biased
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Mid A 15 wrote:[
However there were a lot of youngsters there too which was good to see and they seemed as enthralled as us old farts.

It was a great atmosphere and Paul looked as though he genuinely enjoyed it and appeared touched by the applause he received.

My daughter (aged 21) saw him a couple of months ago in Houston, and was enthralled. She and her brother grew up on an unsolicited diet of PS, Dire Straits, The Beatles, etc, and genuninely love the music; but Jess was concerned, after seeing Rod Steward murder Maggie May on an episode of Parky a couple of years ago that Paul, also, might have lost his mojo.

I haven't ever seen him live. He did play at one of the Australian Grand Prix after concerts (back in the days when it was still held in The City of Churches, before the Victorians stole it from us). Didn't manage to get a ticket, but it absolutely bucketed down on the night anyway.

Have to ask: did it rain when you saw him? :lol:
It's just that it rained when he played Adelaide, it rained when he played Houston this year, and it rained when he played Central Park some time in the dim and distant past (I have the CD). We are battening down for a very, very bad drought (noticed yesterday that even the weeds are frying, and we haven't left Spring yet), so I'm just wondering whether it might be worth emailing Paul and asking him to head out here ...............
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

sejintenej wrote:
shoz wrote:In my humble opinion, Bridge, and The Boxer from the same album are two of the finest pieces of music ever written.
No, Shoz; Albatross (Fleetwood Mac) comes in as finest- I'll allow "Brige over Troubled Waters" as second.

Paul Simon is in the top rank, yes but don't forget The Outlaws who didn't have electronics to help them play but acheived the same sounds.

Ok, I'm biased
Hmmm, Albatross? Yes, a brilliant track but not quite up there with Bridge Over Troubled Water, sorry to be picky, but Paul always said he was very particular about people using the correct title, no S on the end. And when you listen to it there are very few electronics used on that track - piano and orchestra - no fancy electronics required.
As for The Outlaws, I'm almost ashamed to say that I have never heard any of their stuff.
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:[
However there were a lot of youngsters there too which was good to see and they seemed as enthralled as us old farts.

It was a great atmosphere and Paul looked as though he genuinely enjoyed it and appeared touched by the applause he received.

My daughter (aged 21) saw him a couple of months ago in Houston, and was enthralled. She and her brother grew up on an unsolicited diet of PS, Dire Straits, The Beatles, etc, and genuninely love the music; but Jess was concerned, after seeing Rod Steward murder Maggie May on an episode of Parky a couple of years ago that Paul, also, might have lost his mojo.

I haven't ever seen him live. He did play at one of the Australian Grand Prix after concerts (back in the days when it was still held in The City of Churches, before the Victorians stole it from us). Didn't manage to get a ticket, but it absolutely bucketed down on the night anyway.

Have to ask: did it rain when you saw him? :lol:
It's just that it rained when he played Adelaide, it rained when he played Houston this year, and it rained when he played Central Park some time in the dim and distant past (I have the CD). We are battening down for a very, very bad drought (noticed yesterday that even the weeds are frying, and we haven't left Spring yet), so I'm just wondering whether it might be worth emailing Paul and asking him to head out here ...............
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He DID bring the rain but fortunately Wembley Arena is under cover so we were ok!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Wow. PS is my favourite recording artist of all time. I'm so jealous.

I went to see him in 2002 in Hammersmith I think it was.

he can't play so much now cos of calsium deposits in his hands. See I know stuff too.... Unless he's had that fixed recently.

Ok, so it's "Bridge over troubled water", no s. What about "Sound(s) of silence"???
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:Wow. PS is my favourite recording artist of all time. I'm so jealous.

I went to see him in 2002 in Hammersmith I think it was.

he can't play so much now cos of calsium deposits in his hands. See I know stuff too.... Unless he's had that fixed recently.
Aha. Very interesting.

Jess (my daughter) commented that he 'did the shaky hand thing. Not as bad as Joe Cocker, but sortof like that ...........'

So, maybe he has yet to have the calcium problem fixed.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Did anyone see Paul in concert on BBC1 on Sunday night? I have recorded it but not got round to watching it yet.
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M