We have adopted.........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: We have adopted.........................

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:We had some Council Pest Operatives in the office yesterday as some rats had been seen behind some properties we let. Not our tenants fault, they are just round the corner from a couple of fast food places and people walk past on the way to the carpark. I suggested getting a cat, but they reckoned that most rats can see of a cat, and a terrier is what is needed. Certainly at the nursery my Dad and Grandfather had the dog used to get the rats, leaving mice to the cats.
I also have heard that a cat has little chance against an adult rat. We get edible dormice which look very much like squirrels except for the shape of the head; they are certainly as big as most of the feral cats. Vicious things which can walk up vertical walls indoors (I've seen them do it) and ate the TV arial inside the wall. (Exception to size; a pure black cat that looks closer to 30 inches snout to base of tail - a monster)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
englishangel wrote:We had some Council Pest Operatives in the office yesterday as some rats had been seen behind some properties we let. Not our tenants fault, they are just round the corner from a couple of fast food places and people walk past on the way to the carpark. I suggested getting a cat, but they reckoned that most rats can see of a cat, and a terrier is what is needed. Certainly at the nursery my Dad and Grandfather had the dog used to get the rats, leaving mice to the cats.
I also have heard that a cat has little chance against an adult rat. We get edible dormice which look very much like squirrels except for the shape of the head; they are certainly as big as most of the feral cats. Vicious things which can walk up vertical walls indoors (I've seen them do it) and ate the TV arial inside the wall. (Exception to size; a pure black cat that looks closer to 30 inches snout to base of tail - a monster)
Don't tell our Toby ! He brings in dead rats bigger than kittens.

Mind you, he's a huge boy now !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

IT IS CLAIMED THAT YOU'RE never more than a few feet away from a rat because of its tendency to live near human habitation, feeding mainly off our waste, although there is no evidence to support this.
In the village we definitely had rats since we saw one coming out of a broken drain in the house, but whilst we had the dog (Jack Russell), they left us well alone. The dog was capable of sitting for hours by an open drain waiting for them to appear, which they never did.
Now that the dog is gone I am waiting for the rats to return.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Re rats

They canter down the main (only) street of our village in broad daylight sometimes, a visit from the Pied Piper may be needed....

But voles evidently are very numerous, Great Britain's vole population exceeds its human tally

We have one most days laid on our doorstep from Dillan the huntress, I'm guessing she can't eat so many so we are offered her spares. The other cat, Kit the Ragdoll, is delighted, he isn't much of a hunter (he has other talents, such as being decorative and very affectionate) - a tasty high protein meal.

Occasionally one of the dogs will give a sniff but only one of them will actually eat them...

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Having owned many dogs (Mostly gun-dogs) and also a few, much-loved cats, hamsters,etc. etc..
TBA and I, have now decided to avoid what I call "The tyranny of Pets"
I am now in my 80s, and TBA --- although a "Child Bride"--- is in her 70s---- (Shhhhh !)

Dogs require daily exercise --- rain or shine, cats and dogs require to be fed, with regularity, if you are on holiday-- or sick-- or infirm.
Animals---- mostly, do't live as long as Humans (Tortoises and Parrots excepted) and although adults realise this, most children don't, resulting in Drama and Tears !
Dogs and Cats can be put into Doggeries and Catteries, whilst you are away------ but how do THEY feel about it ?

We have fish ---- Tropical and Pond, both of which can survive for weeks, without attention, and we are blessed with two Black Labradors, who live across the road from us--- and visit to be fed CHEESE ! they are affable and loved by all, especially the local children.

When I see their owner trudging out in filthy weather, for a walk on the Heath ----- I think we have the right option ! :lol:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: TBA and I, have now decided to avoid what I call "The tyranny of Pets"
Having had a dog for almost 15 years, during which time he flew Buenos Aires/Madrid 3 times, and accompanied us on car trips to England, Ireland, France and the rest of Spain, because I disliked leaving him in kennels for longer than a week, he did cause us to vary our travel arrangements.
Now that he has moved on to better things, we can contemplate unplanned trips to the UK and also to my wife's country (Costa Rica), which I haven't seen in 10 years. We have decided to travel whilst we can, and when we feel like settling down, will probably adopt an elderly dog, whose owner can no longer look after them, in the hope that we can give the dog a good home for the last few years of their life.
Tyranny is probably too strong a word, but ownership of a pet is restrictive.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: Having had a dog for almost 15 years, during which time he flew Buenos Aires/Madrid 3 times, and accompanied us on car trips to England, Ireland, France and the rest of Spain, because I disliked leaving him in kennels for longer than a week, he did cause us to vary our travel arrangements.
Tyranny is probably too strong a word, but ownership of a pet is restrictive.
St Bernards are BIG, like huge, and slobber; the British variety is even bigger than it's continental sidekick. A neighbour whose family has always kept British St Bernards was rushed into hospital in the middle of a heatwave and whilst he was there the dog died - just inside his front door. Eventually, over many hours and with machinery we prepared a suitably large hole and buried the dog - it was over 40º and the ground was like concrete; a kango hammer was a necessity.
X ( I won't name this 70 year old) then bought another which St Bernard lols around as he builds his second aeroplane (number 1 was written off in a landing "error") but bi-annually the dog accompanies X on his trips to America's Mid-West (I think it is the Houston area). Far too big in the opinion of (almost) everyone who knows him. Locdally the dog sits in the passenger seat of the man's van; you can imagine the hair and smell everywhere.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote: St Bernards are BIG, like huge, and slobber; the British variety is even bigger than it's continental sidekick.
My wife and I got very upset with a St Bernard owner in Bariloche, where the St Bernard was used as a tourist attraction, photo shots etc.
At the end of the day, they went to the car park where the owner had a small car, and the St Bernard got into the even smaller boot, which was then shut!
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ownership of a pet may be restrictive, but it also brings huge benefits.
I acquired my two cats (twins) from Wendy Killner at the CH Club, sometime after my last (but one) dog died in 2001. By then my walking was becoming difficult and Wendy argued that cats would be better for me as they do not need walking and I had to have two, so they could keep each other company whilst I am at work. The two were (and still are) inseperable - Wendy's grandchildren had nicknamed them 'Trouble' and 'Mischief'!
Before they even moved in as kittens I had invested a small fortune in comfort bedding, sheepskin hammocks, toys, etc etc and endured lectures from other cat owners who thought that, as a previous dog owner, I would not treat my cats properly. Ha Ha! The most therapeutic moments in my busy life are when I have a cat on either side, and their motor bike engines are purring away at full volume! They wouldn't do that if I mistreated them.
In 2004 a 'friend' took me up on an offer made a couple of years previously, before I became disabled, that I would look after her dog for a year while she went on Sabbatical to Canada. Long story, but the dog is still here ('mum' has moved away to bigger and better things in other parts of the world and is no longer in touch). The dog is incredibly needy (and her need has increased greatly following my move to a new house last December) but I love her - and the cats - to bits, and would never do anything to prejudice her happiness.
When I go away, I now have professional housesitters to move in and look after the menagerie, to their usual routine. It costs not much more than putting the cats into a cattery, and the dog into kennels - which I now know she does not tolerate, anyway.
So - to sum up (!) - pets may be a bind but provided you can invest in whatever is required for their happiness and safety if you cannot be around, the benefits of having them in your life cannot be underestimated.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

An OB friend sent me this today, not the usual sort of thing she sends me I must admit. :shock:

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well. Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mary - That's absolutely LOVELY !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

As you know I am not particularly a pet person but that brought tears to my eyes. The picture which accompanied it was of a lovely cocker spaniel.

Incidentally if anyone wants some serious cred adopt a greyhound.

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

People will think you are really fit and walk a lot, in truth they are the soppiest', laziest animals in dogdom,your sofa will never be your own again. They are cheaper to keep than you might think as once they stop training they also stop eating the vast amounts an athlete needs. They are also of course all chipped and neutered.

Go to a greyhound event, or if you see someone with one ask them about it, they will talk your ears off about how lovely they are.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

My children used to complain , bitterly, that the Greyhound "Tour Express" (Ben) -- was pushing them off the back seat of the car, so that he could stretch out !

Loved the story about Wonderful Wendy and the "Twins" ! :)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote: Incidentally if anyone wants some serious cred adopt a greyhound.
http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/
People will think you are really fit and walk a lot, in truth they are the soppiest', laziest animals in dogdom,your sofa will never be your own again. They are cheaper to keep than you might think as once they stop training they also stop eating the vast amounts an athlete needs. They are also of course all chipped and neutered.
"serious cred"? A man who retired / got made redundant at the same time as me started a dog training school and also started rehoming racing greyhounds. One of those greyhounds that he kept won best of breed at Crufts a few years back; you don't know what you will pick up.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!