We have adopted.........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I was thinking of entitling that photo:-

"After a Lads Night out !"
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

I just hope I come back as a cat.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

shoz wrote:I just hope I come back as a cat.
We had an incident last year at the farm. A visitor reported seeing something disappearing down the storm drain but couldn't identify it. Clearly too big for a squirrel-like dormouse despite the tail, too small to be one of the panther like feral cats, unlikely to be anything else that we could think of. Examination of the area revealed nothing.

A week later I saw something and put out some prawn tails; these enticed a very nervous kitten to show itself but we couldn't get near it. A friend agreed to take it if we could catch it - a feat quickly accomplished with one of the traps we use for edible dormice.

That siamese has really fallen on its feet - we think it was abandoned by somebody since we live far from other houses and it came back. Me? I'm allergic to cats.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

That siamese has really fallen on its feet - we think it was abandoned by somebody since we live far from other houses and it came back.

A Siamese kitten in a storm drain? How amazing! I find Siamese cats look so different from those I knew when I was young - their faces look quite a different shape. Delighted to hear the kitten was caught and fallen on all four paws.

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I've been feeding a marmalade and white stray for 2.5 years, and put out a lined and covered box for it to sleep in when the weather got cold (I've tried to get the local cat welfare people to come and catch it but no luck so far).
Three months ago I found the box occupied by a strange, yowling and very hungry cat. When it was still there the next morning, I took it to the vet to see if it had a chip and two hours later reunited it with its owner.
It had come from about 1.5 miles away, had disappeared from home 13 days previously, but its claws were scratched down to the bl*ddy quick. It was very thin. I found a puncture wound on one of its legs.
It turned out to be a 1 year old very valuable breed of Siamese and I think it had been abducted but had managed to escape. The scary thought is that the kidnapper must live somewhere near me.......
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

cat heroes

Both these cat heroes are Siamese! They must be tough and resilient pussies to escape from a catnapper, and to struggle cold and hungry in a storm drain. i always think of Siamese as being quite delicate. Happy endings though! What will happen to the stray puss-on-the-porch?

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

AS IT HAPPENS!
The Cat Welfare lady appeared just after I got home tonight... with a huge metal cage thingy.
Since I had not yet put out the food for the stray, I was able to do so and she saw him/her for herself. AAhh....
The Cunning Plan is that I set the cage thing up tomorrow night, with food at the easy end - and the cat lady said that in her experience you catch the stray within 30 minutes. I have a telephone number, and she will come back and pick it up - and then (having seen it tonight!) intends to keep it in her own house!!
If that should happen I would be delighted as I could then be kept informed of its progress. After 2.5 years I feel some sort of responsibility for it, and will miss it when it has gone. Big Softie that I am, whenever I put the food out, I keep the front door open just a crack (it is so shy it will disappear again if the door is fully open) and talk 'soothingly' to it through the space.
By the time I meet you on Monday, Much, I might have lost my stray! .....
Kerren Simmonds
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

kerrensimmonds wrote:AS IT HAPPENS!
The Cat Welfare lady appeared just after I got home tonight... with a huge metal cage thingy.

Exciting!

The Cunning Plan is that I set the cage thing up tomorrow night, with food at the easy end - and the cat lady said that in her experience you catch the stray within 30 minutes. I have a telephone number, and she will come back and pick it up - and then (having seen it tonight!) intends to keep it in her own house!!

After 2.5 years I wonder how he/she will react to being indoors?

will miss it when it has gone. Big Softie that I am, whenever I put the food out, I keep the front door open just a crack and talk 'soothingly' to it through the space.

Aah. You are a real cat lover... Do you have a Cat In Residence yourself, Kerren?

By the time I meet you on Monday, Munch, I might have lost my stray! .....
Perhaps he/she will become a treasured pet in a new home. I do hope so!

See you Monday! The Ruler Of All The Universe is going to explain to me the workings of a digital camera. I should love to send a pic or two to Caroline in Australia.

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:See you Monday! The Ruler Of All The Universe is going to explain to me the workings of a digital camera. I should love to send a pic or two to Caroline in Australia.

Munch
Why not just post them here, then we can all see them!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

That's great Angela. I hope you get your camera sorted. At the CHA Telephone conference last night, when I plugged this event, I was asked a) Had I put it on the Forum. No. I did so today.
b) Would I take photos. I think that we won't be able to during the Recital itself but the Old Blue Editor wants pictures of Old Blues gathering for whatever purpose. So I said OK I will take my camera.............but this evening I have failed miserably to recharge its batteries. I think I probabably need to RTFM - so if I have a working camera with me on Monday you will know that I cracked it!
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

How did the trapping go Kerren ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

In Islamabad we had very different occupants of our drains for a few short weeks. A family of mongooses (mongeese?), or at least the mum and four little ones. They were the most adorable honey coloured bundles of fun. They arrived from nowhere and disappeared a few short weeks later. Our little boys loved them and would stare through the windows at them for ages - if the children went out to play the creatures shot down the drains. We were lucky that the windows went down to ground level.

Shoul that be off topic as it is not cats?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'll keep you posted JR! Think of me around 6.00 this evening. And I have found out how to recharge my digital camera as I want to take some 'farewell' pictures of it....Maybe I will post one on the Forum!
Kerren Simmonds
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Goodbye Puss-on-Doorstep!

kerrensimmonds wrote:I'll keep you posted JR! Think of me around 6.00 this evening. And I have found out how to recharge my digital camera as I want to take some 'farewell' pictures of it....Maybe I will post one on the Forum!
That would be nice Kerren. Like a wildlife photographer, you'll have to lie prone for hours hidden behind your own front door, barely breathing...

My digital camera intruction tonight! The Ruler Of All The Universe says that it must be last moment before Monday night in case I forget the instructions. I can practise taking pictures of posing pussies Ferdinand and Jasmine before I take to Old Blues! (Hope the Service Provider doesn't put that in the Sin Bin!)

See you tomorrow!

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sadly the mission had to be aborted...just as I put out the cage, the world launched into an horrendous thunderstorm. Poor little stray cat stayed hidden away until it was all over - which was later than the Cat Rescue lady would have come to collect.
So got to try again tonight. Pray for better weather.
Also got my camera recharged so I can take pictures of it before I say goodbye.....Good luck with yours,Angela!
Kerren Simmonds