One for Marty

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

what did you think of Fiona Bruce in gold lame on 'Children in Need?'

She looked amazing
60%
She looked fantastic
No votes
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
40%

Total votes: 5

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Mid A 15 wrote:
blondie95 wrote:Inrestingly i have been loking at CIN this last week at work and how they cover admin costs. A website intelligen giving criticised CIN as it appears you end up having two sets of admin costs on your donation, one by CIN to recieve and process it then by the charity it went to for them to recieve it etc!

However CIN and the BBC hit back at this article saying it was not true and that the BBC themselves cover all admin costs so that all money dontated goes to charity.
If what Amy says is correct why do the BBC presume to spend the money I have no choice in giving them on charities I may not wish to support?

Surely the TV Licence should be spent on making or purchasing programmes?

Not a dig at you Amy!!
You are SO right
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Some childrens' charities do seem wasteful of resources. To my certain knowledge, the Cornish Branch of NSPCC needlessly threw away £2000 when it was offered to them some years back. I would never donate to that particular charity.

Maybe, it is because there is nothing that appeals to our social conscience so much as a mistreated or needy child; the result is that vast amounts are donated and these charities do not have to work so hard at fundraising as others which support less popular causes. I do believe, I hope not erroneously, that War on Want is OK. That is my preferred childrens' charity and I do not therefore donate at all to the others.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

My aunt volunteers for Save the Children and has always claimed that, of all the children's charities, it is the one that fritters the least of the donations on admin and extraneous expenses. I wouldn't know as I have not studied these things in depth, so to cover my @ss, allegedly (as Ian Hislop on HIGNFY would say).
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

blondie95 wrote:Inrestingly i have been loking at CIN this last week at work and how they cover admin costs. A website intelligen giving criticised CIN as it appears you end up having two sets of admin costs on your donation, one by CIN to recieve and process it then by the charity it went to for them to recieve it etc!

However CIN and the BBC hit back at this article saying it was not true and that the BBC themselves cover all admin costs so that all money dontated goes to charity.
I would have thought our friends at Inland Revenue would classed this as fraud !

Or is it just :lol: 'Double Entry Book-keeping' ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

well as every charity is going to have admin costs and now they generally are very good at admitting to how much is spent on these. The whole point of places like where i work where we process donations on behalf of charities is so that the charities in the end get as much of the donation as possible as our admin fees are seriously reduced compared to what it would cost the charity itself to process donations-of course large charities like NSPCC and MSF can generally process their own donations more cost effectively.

It has recently come into legislation through the charity commission I believe that charities need to be clear and transparent about what they spend on admin. Many charities also now have appeals etc of categories where you say you want your donation to go to so that it is not spent buying toilet roll for employees.

As for CIN well you cannot choose which charity your money goes to which is a shame and I think would prob cost more in admin, so best suggestion is you continue to give to the charities you want to when you want.