Year Off coming up? Want to do good and travel...CALLING!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Warren Lockner
2nd Former

Year Off coming up? Want to do good and travel...CALLING!

Post by Warren Lockner »

Sun, sea, sand, elephants, cocnut curries, volunteer teachers.....it must be Sri Lanka!

I am an Old Blue, building a school for poor Sri Lankan kids in Alutgama (yes near the best surf break in SL)......I am looking for good hearted people to help teach for a few months, when fits their plans....live in flat provided.....30 mins on a bus (6 pence ride) to the beach.......project will be running for the next decade...so don't think you are too late to apply....web site coming up soon.....
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Can you give more information please? I have a daughter who was thinking of going to look after Sea Turtles but the costs of £1500+ (UKS) has sort of put her off...Sounds interesting though... and have got rather attached to Wild at Heart TV (Africa I know!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

this sounds good! so runs for the next decade you say?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Warren Lockner
2nd Former

More details

Post by Warren Lockner »

Physical description:

Ok, so the building is a single classroom (40+ student capacity) with playground and toilet facilities for the kids. Playground below. It then has a library / storage room, an office on the same floor. On the lower level is a small apartment with two rooms overlooking the valley (old gum tree plantation.....great spot....).

New Government land released for the building of a new village. South West of Sri Lanka about 18kms from Bentota.

Concept:

...the basics are: there is a "cachement" of around 400 children in the area....government schools are terrible, so wealthier children all get extra curricular classes in English (tourism being the great earner) etc. and get ahead....poor children stay poor and never break the cycle of poverty......idea is to provide night / w.e classes to poor children in English and potential computer studies ........this would be a huge leap to get them through their exams and on to University where it is all free and all equal once again.....

In order to also use the building effectively, there is the idea of using it as a community building as well......montessori playschool in the mornings, helping other disadvantaged groups, community library (once i can get some books there) etc.......however, and this needs to be stated.....the ability to do this will depend on the skills, drive and willingness of the volunteers....some of these things can be marginally profitable to pay for electricity, upkeep and even poorer children meals........

I have one fulltime lady living in the place as a teacher and the offer is that I have one more room for a volunteer to live in as well. So basically room is provided and board could be as well although self-maintenance is really looked for...... The lady is a great seammistress, a lovely Sri Lankan cook and "mother Theresa" character......so a great experience for anyone to be part of.... upkeep…..100 pounds a month would be loads as a budget……

What is needed?

Computers and books are incredibly welcome, but the most important thing I need now is volunteers with strong english skills that can teach english......this is the biggest goal.....all other skills either in subjects, trades etc. would be something that we could look to develop into something of benefit for the community....and if they have any drive with setting up libraries etc. would be great.....

Timing:

School will be built in end feb.......anytime after that would be fantastic.......we can organise it really easily......everybody is welcome....even if they can only do a short stint......it give the children a fantastic education just to meet people from far away and helps them gain confidence and grow as people.....
Jude
Button Grecian

Re: More details

Post by Jude »

Warren Lockner wrote:Physical description:

Ok, so the building is a single classroom (40+ student capacity) with playground and toilet facilities for the kids. Playground below. It then has a library / storage room, an office on the same floor. On the lower level is a small apartment with two rooms overlooking the valley (old gum tree plantation.....great spot....).

New Government land released for the building of a new village. South West of Sri Lanka about 18kms from Bentota.

Concept:

...the basics are: there is a "cachement" of around 400 children in the area....government schools are terrible, so wealthier children all get extra curricular classes in English (tourism being the great earner) etc. and get ahead....poor children stay poor and never break the cycle of poverty......idea is to provide night / w.e classes to poor children in English and potential computer studies ........this would be a huge leap to get them through their exams and on to University where it is all free and all equal once again.....

In order to also use the building effectively, there is the idea of using it as a community building as well......montessori playschool in the mornings, helping other disadvantaged groups, community library (once i can get some books there) etc.......however, and this needs to be stated.....the ability to do this will depend on the skills, drive and willingness of the volunteers....some of these things can be marginally profitable to pay for electricity, upkeep and even poorer children meals........

I have one fulltime lady living in the place as a teacher and the offer is that I have one more room for a volunteer to live in as well. So basically room is provided and board could be as well although self-maintenance is really looked for...... The lady is a great seammistress, a lovely Sri Lankan cook and "mother Theresa" character......so a great experience for anyone to be part of.... upkeep…..100 pounds a month would be loads as a budget……

What is needed?

Computers and books are incredibly welcome, but the most important thing I need now is volunteers with strong english skills that can teach english......this is the biggest goal.....all other skills either in subjects, trades etc. would be something that we could look to develop into something of benefit for the community....and if they have any drive with setting up libraries etc. would be great.....

Timing:

School will be built in end feb.......anytime after that would be fantastic.......we can organise it really easily......everybody is welcome....even if they can only do a short stint......it give the children a fantastic education just to meet people from far away and helps them gain confidence and grow as people.....
I have a spare 15" monitor if you want it, and could write/compute up easy classes for IT - I would love to go to Sri Lanka - but
1) I have no passport!
2) I doubt I am fit enough to travel (certainly not at the moment)
3) What are the costs of getting out and back?
4) My daughter may be interested - she will be 19, can't drive (well unless she is like Colin Macrae!), has very good English, is dyslexic so able to teach at a slow rate, very friendly, has some medical skills, I have medical skills and degrees in Computing / IT... our only problem would be finance - £100 for a month is not a problem - it's the flights - is the OB network able to assist on this? Etc...
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Warren Lockner
2nd Former

Sri Lanka.....

Post by Warren Lockner »

Sorry to hear about your poor health..hope you feel better soon....I am a Hong Kong resident, so not too sure on the flights, but can't be more than 500 pounds....from HKG it is about 300 and not dissimilar distances.

Driving is offlimits to all nonlocals in Sri Lanka anyway......drivers are cheap, buses are nearly free and you need to understand the concept of Asia drving to even begin to have a chance of survival on your own....although your daugther might have a chance with the skills you mention.

Both of you sound great..it is all about sense of adventure, a good heart and a glorious environment....but money is always a problem.....I will buy a lottery ticket and see if I can't get a bit of divine intervention! :)
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

A search I just did found flights at £473 through STA travel, and £538 through Kayak.
This is defiantely something I'd be interested in in a few years.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02