SHOULD WE..........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Oh, I don't know - If I was 'Gay', I could quite fancy Glen McGrath !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

J.R. wrote:Oh, I don't know - If I was 'Gay', I could quite fancy Glen McGrath !
Yup, he's pretty OK too :)

With which thought I am going to log off. Daylight Saving finished last weekend, but my body clock hasn't adjusted, so it thinks that it is 00.40. What chance of me being infront of my laptop by 09.00? Absolutely none.

Nighty night :)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Have a good sleep and we'll catch you later.

A gorgeous sunny day here at the moment !
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Am I proud to be British? I am grateful that I grew up in England during the era that I did, and I confess to crying whenever I hear 'Jerusalem' or 'Land of Hope and Glory', but I am pleased and grateful that I now live in Australia, and that my children have grown up here and experienced all that this country has to offer.
Completely agree, when/if i do have kids, i don't want them to be brought up in the UK, I think there are far better countries to bring them up in, with better opportunities
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Maybe this should be on the jokes page, but it seems to fit in on this thread. I received it this morning. You might find it very apt - I, however, couldn't possibly comment !

A Somali arrives in London as a new immigrant to England. He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says: "Thank you Mr English man for letting me in this country, giving me free housing, free food stamps, free medical care and free education."

The passer-by says, "You are mistaken, I am Polish."

The man goes on and encounters another passer-by. "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in England."

The person says, "I not English, I am Croatian."

The new arrival walks further down the street and the next person he sees, he stops, shakes his hand and says "Thank you for the wonderful England."

This person puts his up his hand and says, "I am from Iran, I am not English."

He finally sees a nice lady and asks, "Are You English."

She says, "No, I am from Iraq."

Puzzled, he asks her, "Where are all the English people."

Wait for it...................................................

The Iraq lady checks her watch and says ..."Probably at work."
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bl00dy true as well :twisted:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I've been trying to write this for ages so bare with me

1) Look at how many English can't be bothered to find a job and instead enjoy living off benifits

2) Look at why alot of companies are now hiring Eastern Europeans to work for them - They are punctual, the work alot darn harder then the English and they don't complain every 5 minutes. You hire them for 8 hours work and you'll get 8 hours work out of them. My old man has taken on some recently and so has my uncle, they both say that with the Eastern Europeans you get the same out of 1 man then you do out of 2 English workers

3) i used to work in HR and did alot of recruiting, you'll find that if you interviewed an assylum seeker they want to work and put something back into the economy, unlike alot of the poor areas of Britain, where young mothers and can't be arsed boyfriends won't even attempt to go for an interview as they like their council house and benifits.

4) I really thought CH wasn't like any other independant school, i thought that it was normal and not full of rich kids looking down on others. However, all I seem to be reading on this forum is;maybe not rich kids; but people looking down on others.

I would love for people like JR, Midget and Vonny to be in the same position that some of these people are, and see how they cope. Guys get off your high horse and put yourself in their shoes.

Be grateful that Britain has alot to offer and if we can help people who truly have nothing and are running for their lives, the smallest amount of hope then lets do it.

CH was based on Charity and giving opportunities to people who weren't so fortunate in life. Act like a true old blue and not an old Etonian
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

peter2095 wrote:I've been trying to write this for ages so bare with me

1) Look at how many English can't be bothered to find a job and instead enjoy living off benifits

2) Look at why alot of companies are now hiring Eastern Europeans to work for them - They are punctual, the work alot darn harder then the English and they don't complain every 5 minutes. You hire them for 8 hours work and you'll get 8 hours work out of them. My old man has taken on some recently and so has my uncle, they both say that with the Eastern Europeans you get the same out of 1 man then you do out of 2 English workers

3) i used to work in HR and did alot of recruiting, you'll find that if you interviewed an assylum seeker they want to work and put something back into the economy, unlike alot of the poor areas of Britain, where young mothers and can't be arsed boyfriends won't even attempt to go for an interview as they like their council house and benifits.

4) I really thought CH wasn't like any other independant school, i thought that it was normal and not full of rich kids looking down on others. However, all I seem to be reading on this forum is;maybe not rich kids; but people looking down on others.

I would love for people like JR, Midget and Vonny to be in the same position that some of these people are, and see how they cope. Guys get off your high horse and put yourself in their shoes.

Be grateful that Britain has alot to offer and if we can help people who truly have nothing and are running for their lives, the smallest amount of hope then lets do it.

CH was based on Charity and giving opportunities to people who weren't so fortunate in life. Act like a true old blue and not an old Etonian
I wasn't going to reply to this Peter, but I thought you might see things slightly differently if I did.

I worked from leaving CH in 1963 right up until I underwent a series of ortho operations to one shoulder, both elbows and right hand to relieve trapped nerves and broaden the right shoulder joint. Needless to say, these operations were not totally successful and after being off work, (as a local Government Officer), for a year, the local Council attempted to sack me. Thankfully, I was and am a member of UNISON, and we fought and won my case. This effectively meant I had to take early retirement and exist on benefit and a lowered deffered council pension.

Jan, (my wife), had a high powered job as a key worker working with the mentally ill, (schizophrenics) - a job which she loved. She was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis six years ago, and struggled on working for 3 years until, she too, had to give up all work. She claims, QUITE RIGHTFULLY, the full amount of D.L.A.

SO PLEASE, don't accuse me/us of sitting in our ivory towers, lording it up and having a go at immigrants.

OK - we get help with housing benefit and council tax, but we still have to exist on around £150 a week.

Am I bitter and twisted. NO - OF COURSE NOT. Sh1t happens, as they say but I do take exception at people who point the finger at me for no other reason than my wife and I are highly patriotic.

If anybody tells me that Gordon Brown and Co are defenders of the working classes, then I would suggest they remove their rose-coloured speccies.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:SO PLEASE, don't accuse me/us of sitting in our ivory towers, lording it up and having a go at immigrants.

If anybody tells me that Gordon Brown and Co are defenders of the working classes, then I would suggest they remove their rose-coloured speccies.
Seconded.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I see that JR has already replied but to put my oar in, Peter, at 22 years of age you attended a different school to many of us. So who are the "many of us"? we are the kids who didn't have shoes, who had to fight to survive, who were brought up in the back strets of some4 of the UK's messiest cities - where I spent some time stank of the sewers flowing into the Lagan - worse than the Thames at its worst, I tell you. And I was very very lucky.

At least one of the ladies has recounted how a teacher used to buy her clothes because her parents couldn't afford to. I was lucky - my adopted mother used to give me handmedowns - yes - my shirts did button the opposite way even when I was 15. Later on her employers taught me proper manners, how to handle myself in any company, a thousand lessons unavailable to many ...... CH taught me to stand on my own feet - I have 3 family names I could use, contacts I could milk but didn't, I did it by myself and my reputation with them as matters is good; that is what I am proud of.

Like JR and probably most here I also had to pull myself up by my own shoelaces - no social services, no handouts - we supported ourselves or died of starvation or hypothyermia or got imprisoned for not having the regulation fare home in our pocket.

I started work on the 26th July 1966 and I haven't stopped since; current winter hours are 7am to 6pm, summer hours a few hours longer.

Within that period I have smashed every bone from my right collar bone to the right bottom rib (for charity!!!) , put my hip out, smashed a few vertebrae, otherwise damaged my spine on 3 occasions and mucked up a few joints as well (I did get 3 weeks off work for those in those 40 years - with no state benefit ), had several doses of malaria (goes with the job and gave me 3 more weeks off work but no state benefit)

Certainly there are those I look down on - or to be more correct, I despise. I will respect those who work, who don't sponge on the rest of us but God help those who can't be bothered - I'll be the first to put the boot in.

Oh, and by the way, I get my first company pension next year - under £5 per annum.

I fully agree with your comments on Eastern Europeans - that goes for Portuguese as well BTW - they do give a full day's work for a day's pay - and I make sure that if they work for me they get a good lunch as well - I appreciate those prepared to be honest and I go out of my way to help them.

When you have "made it" by yourself then you can complain about other's opinions.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:I see that JR has already replied but to put my oar in, Peter, at 22 years of age you attended a different school to many of us. So who are the "many of us"? we are the kids who didn't have shoes, who had to fight to survive, who were brought up in the back strets of some4 of the UK's messiest cities - where I spent some time stank of the sewers flowing into the Lagan - worse than the Thames at its worst, I tell you. And I was very very lucky.

At least one of the ladies has recounted how a teacher used to buy her clothes because her parents couldn't afford to. I was lucky - my adopted mother used to give me handmedowns - yes - my shirts did button the opposite way even when I was 15. Later on her employers taught me proper manners, how to handle myself in any company, a thousand lessons unavailable to many ...... CH taught me to stand on my own feet - I have 3 family names I could use, contacts I could milk but didn't, I did it by myself and my reputation with them as matters is good; that is what I am proud of.

Like JR and probably most here I also had to pull myself up by my own shoelaces - no social services, no handouts - we supported ourselves or died of starvation or hypothyermia or got imprisoned for not having the regulation fare home in our pocket.

I started work on the 26th July 1966 and I haven't stopped since; current winter hours are 7am to 6pm, summer hours a few hours longer.

Within that period I have smashed every bone from my right collar bone to the right bottom rib (for charity!!!) , put my hip out, smashed a few vertebrae, otherwise damaged my spine on 3 occasions and mucked up a few joints as well (I did get 3 weeks off work for those in those 40 years - with no state benefit ), had several doses of malaria (goes with the job and gave me 3 more weeks off work but no state benefit)

Certainly there are those I look down on - or to be more correct, I despise. I will respect those who work, who don't sponge on the rest of us but God help those who can't be bothered - I'll be the first to put the boot in.

Oh, and by the way, I get my first company pension next year - under £5 per annum.

I fully agree with your comments on Eastern Europeans - that goes for Portuguese as well BTW - they do give a full day's work for a day's pay - and I make sure that if they work for me they get a good lunch as well - I appreciate those prepared to be honest and I go out of my way to help them.

When you have "made it" by yourself then you can complain about other's opinions.
Q.E.D.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

peter2095 wrote:I've been trying to write this for ages so bare with me

Peter you are absolutely right with the sentiment highlighted in red and I'm pretty confident that JR, Midget and Vonny also endorse that sentiment.

However it is an undeniable fact that there are a large number of bogus immigrants claiming benefits and either not working or working "on the black." Yes the indigineous population are also guilty but they do have a birthright to be here and their forefathers have probably contributed. I suspect it is those bogus immigrants who JR and others, including myself, get annoyed about.

I'm all in favour of giving a fair go to those who genuinely want to work or genuinely need asylum. In my opinion the way to do this is by issuing visas prior to entry. Unfortunately by virtue of our membership of the EU we have ceded the right to do this.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

JR I understand what you are saying, by what you have written above i thought you would be agreeing with me.

If you had a Dictator who you knew had soldiers out to kill you, what would you do??

Its a shame that other countries goverment can't help their people like ours helps us and peoples who lives are in danger.

I will keep having at go, "SO PLEASE, don't accuse me/us of sitting in our ivory towers, lording it up and having a go at immigrants." - Look at the posts in this thread and others, do you really expect me not to have a go

I'm not going personal with this, so will keep what you have said in your last post commentless as I would never wish anyone to go through that - British or not!!!

I am not pointing the finger at you for being patriotic, i am pointing the finger at you, as the things you are saying are offensive and I believe wrong.

I am not out to cause you offence, and if anyone has taken offence to anything i have then i apologies sincerely.

I am just trying to make people realise that times have changed, Britain has changed and also CH has changed
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Mid A 15 wrote:However it is an undeniable fact that there are a large number of bogus immigrants claiming benefits and either not working or working "on the black." .......... I suspect it is those bogus immigrants who JR and others, including myself, get annoyed about.

I'm all in favour of giving a fair go to those who genuinely want to work or genuinely need asylum. In my opinion the way to do this is by issuing visas pror to entry. Unfortunately by virtue of our membership of the EU we have ceded the right to do this.
That's exactly the point.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I'm not saying that its not fustrating, however its not only Immigrants that are taking the good old system for a ride