SHOULD WE..........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

SHOULD WE..........................

Post by J.R. »

................ BE PROUD TO BE BRITISH ?

DISCUSS !!!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

What makes a person British????
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I am, well actually I would say im proud to be English (which doesn't best please the father as we are a quarter Scottish due to his 50:50 English/Scottish split-and he calls himself Scottish!)
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Why proud, after all, nationality is an accident of birth. Yes topleased to be British, in spite of Bliar's attempts to sell us out to Europe, and anyone else that would take us.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

midget wrote:Why proud, after all, nationality is an accident of birth. Yes topleased to be British, in spite of Bliar's attempts to sell us out to Europe, and anyone else that would take us.
Seconded
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I certainly feel fortunate to have been conceived and brought into the world in North Somerset rather than, for example, North Korea, but I do not find that my Englishness gives me any cause to feel superior to other nationalities.

There are many things in English life and culture which are worthy of celebration, but the same would apply in countless other societies.

I will, however, be sporting a rose on St. George's Day, not for reasons of petty nationalism, but because I believe that we should have a day on which we can celebrate what is good about our heritage and, perhaps, reflect on how to improve those things which are not so good.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

blondie95 wrote:I am, well actually I would say im proud to be English

Me too....
Last edited by John Knight on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

We certainly shouldn't be ashamed to be British. Sadly I think there's a fair amount of 'guilt-tripping' going on at the moment, especially around the whole slavery debate. Whilst we can all acknowledge that Britain has done some reprehensible things in the past I often feel that we're made out to be a 'nasty nation' which is unfair. In fact, compared to other nations we're pretty welcoming and inclusive.

I think pride is a strange thing - is it really possible to be proud of something of which you have no control such as your nationality/race/sexual orientation?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I think this country is an amzing place, we have so much more than many other countries have: beatiful landscape which owuld only be like this because of the seasons we have and good old Henry VIII and his enclosures act breaking up land into lovely fields with trees and bushes!
We have history of many forms, arts culture and tradition something i think those across the atlantic pond seriously lack!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

If we were still a nation of Heritage (morris dancing and all), good old british ale, and civalised i would be very proud to be British.

Unfortunately this is not so, and at times, especially when i'm abroad, i'm quite ashamed to be British.

I love what this country used to be and i'm sadened to see what its turning into.

In regards to what Marty said, years ago, we were seen as a friendly nation, full of people with smart dress bowler hats, sincerity and kindness. Now look at us, we are all stereotyped as binge drinking, chain smoking thugs.

What ever happened to the good old English country pubs? i remember when i was a Kid, the area i lived in used to have a big field at the back of our house, and the local neighbour hood would all meet up in the summer for a BBQ and a game of rounders - Now you wouldn't see such a thing.

I agree with Amy that our Friendly "trigger finger" Americans do lack in tradition and Culture, however as Britain Turns more American, we too in years to come will go the same way. We are turning into a Suing culture, no one wants to take the blame for anything so everyone passes the buck to the next person.

Its sad really. I think that alot of people in this country have lost a lot of respect for each other.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

I'm offended by being told to apologise for the slavery issue.
Knowing my heritage (a bit), I very much doubt that my family gained financially from the trade, and i'm sure they could have lived without sugar et al. In fact, they probably couldn't afford sugar! Also, considering the social environment even in modern Africa, did domestic slavery never exist in any form before international involvement? I'm somewhat sceptical.

Generally speaking, Britain rocks! except re. sport, when the English have more chance of winning. unless playing tennis.
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Ah, a whole new (ironic) debate.

Did you see our brave English boys pound the mighty Andorra?

And the pathetic Northern Irish just slip past Sweden?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

ben ashton wrote:I'm offended by being told to apologise for the slavery issue.

We have the completely opposite situation in Oz, where Little Johnny Howard, on the increasingly rare occasions that he removes his head from Bush's rectum, absolutely and utterly refuses to permit the country/government to apologise to the aboriginals for stealing their children and raising them in white households.

Obviously, Little Johnny wasn't personally responsible for the atrocity. Hmmm, come to think of it, it was the Poms. Anyway, although neither Johnny nor I are personally responsible, I would very much like the government to acknowledge that what happened was appalling, wrong, inhumane, and to vow that they will do their utmost to ensure that nothing like it happens again.

Am I proud to be British? I am grateful that I grew up in England during the era that I did, and I confess to crying whenever I hear 'Jerusalem' or 'Land of Hope and Glory', but I am pleased and grateful that I now live in Australia, and that my children have grown up here and experienced all that this country has to offer.

Now, if someone could just explain to me how a well brought up English lass and a Marine Engineer from Westminster could have created a Surfie Dude and a Ute Chick, I would be very grateful :wink:
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I've slopped around Europe so much, that the only thing that, for me, makes me "british" is my passport - and I see no reason for gratuitous pride there. Whereas there have been times, during my travels , when I have been positively ashamed to be british...

And given the current tendancy in this country to bending-over backwards, trouser-dropping, ingratiating PC-ness, I really cannot see any cause for national pride at all...a little more backbone would perhaps invert my position !

I amproud when perceived as honest, reliable or responsible, I am proud when my children demonstrate the same traits, but I do not see why an accident of birth should be a source of pride - otherwise my children would have a terrible time of it, being bi-nationals.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I should like to feel proud to be British but I am increasingly feeling disenfranchised and unrepresented by Government and Parliament.

Britain of course historically did some bad things (along with every other "first world" country which is often ignored). It has also done many good things though which tends to be forgotten.

As a country Britain, particularly England, seems to almost revel in masochistic self- flagellation rather than celebrating it's virtues.

I cannot help but think that the desire to be seen as "good Europeans" is behind much of this negative attitude which is positively encouraged by an essentially Europhile political elite.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72