Tea

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

cj wrote:In a china mug or cup (not terracotta) and Earl Grey preferably but if not then ordinary tea but weak - if it's not made in a pot, and one bag is quite ample for that, then I'll have the second use of the bag and dip for a couple of seconds.
Memories are surfacing of tea bags drying on 6's radiators, prior to re-use.

I used to hate tea, and still do if it comes with milk and sugar. However, an elegant porcelain cup of Earl G, Orange Pekoe, Green, Rooibos, and a few herbal infusions are very acceptable to me.

Mary, I think that I can source Daintree tea reasonably easily, so if you would like to pm me your snail mail addy .............. I should probably try some myself, as I am a bit of a whimp when it comes to astringency (very low threshold, particularly at low pH. Amazing what you learn about yourself during the course of certain research projects :lol: )/

xx
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Memories are surfacing of tea bags drying on 6's radiators, prior to re-use.
:shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I have never heard of 'Miles' tea.
Sorry to display my ignorance. What is it?!
Tea
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thank you! What sort of tea (i.e. from what sort of leaf...). I now believe there is an elephant on the box (or am I muddling up different postings on this thread?).

Who would have thought that the humble cuppa could have so many different manifestations!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Thank you! What sort of tea (i.e. from what sort of leaf...). I now believe there is an elephant on the box (or am I muddling up different postings on this thread?).
Correct - the elephant is the most important thing about Miles tea.

http://www.djmiles.co.uk/
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I used to hate tea, and still do if it comes with milk and sugar. However, an elegant porcelain cup of Earl G, Orange Pekoe, Green, Rooibos, and a few herbal infusions are very acceptable to me.
I'm noting this, Caroline, prior to your Visit. Elegant porcelain cup...hmm... I'll do my best; morning tea at your bedside be OK?

My mother's tea was rocket-fuel strength leaf PG tips, brewed and stewed in a brown pot and kept hot at the back of the cooker. It was served with gold-top milk, the cream of which rose in globules to the surface. I could never drink it, and she foretold that I would be a social disaster. (Probably right :cry: )

Tea at CH was a watery grey solution served from an urn. I grew expert at doing the bit at the top of the table - remember that two handed action with the stacked tea bowls? But I never drank the stuff.

At the age of 19, I still thought I hated tea. Then, at the house of a platonic boy friend, on whom I had a hopeless crush, his mother poured me a cup of tea. Amber, fragrant, fresh, poured from a sparkling clean teapot! I thought I'd be polite and give it a go. Delicious! Reviving! Tactlessly, I went home and told my mother where she'd been going wrong.

She was so thrilled I'd had a cup of tea she rang the crushee's mother to thank her. My wilderness years were over.

Now, every morning, I drink my way down a teapotful, warmed pot, strong, just a splash of milk, currently from a kitten mug which was a leaving present. Yorkshire Tea for Hard Water is nice in this area. It wakes me up to write the day's emails!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cj wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:Thank you! What sort of tea (i.e. from what sort of leaf...). I now believe there is an elephant on the box (or am I muddling up different postings on this thread?).

Whilst I had never heard of/about Miles Tea and elephants, I am aware of one type of coffee beans (said to be a delicacy) which have been through an elephant and come out the other end before being collected. I haven't tried it!

The mind boggles about this tea!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

sejintenej wrote:
cj wrote:

Whilst I had never heard of/about Miles Tea and elephants, I am aware of one type of coffee beans (said to be a delicacy) which have been through an elephant and come out the other end before being collected. I haven't tried it!

The mind boggles about this tea!
I didn't think that coffee could get any worse, and much as I adore my pachyderm pals, this is just revolting. Despite being Devon based ( :wink: ), DJ Miles T&C Merchants does not practice this kind of gastronomic barbarity.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Angela Woodford wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I used to hate tea, and still do if it comes with milk and sugar. However, an elegant porcelain cup of Earl G, Orange Pekoe, Green, Rooibos, and a few herbal infusions are very acceptable to me.
I'm noting this, Caroline, prior to your Visit. Elegant porcelain cup...hmm... I'll do my best; morning tea at your bedside be OK?

Sounds great, particularly if it comes accompanied by cuddly cat :)

My mother's tea was rocket-fuel strength leaf PG tips, brewed and stewed in a brown pot and kept hot at the back of the cooker. It was served with gold-top milk, the cream of which rose in globules to the surface. I could never drink it, and she foretold that I would be a social disaster. (Probably right :cry: )

My grandmother had an embossed aluminium teapot, into which she would sometimes put water and no leaves - the resultant, very pale, solution had about as much tannin in it as I could stomach, but it didn't go down terribly well with Grandad.

Munch
Foureyes
Grecian

GURKHA TEA

Post by Foureyes »

OK, a bit of a one-off, but the best tea I have ever drunk was brewed by Gurkha soldiers in Malaya. At the end of an exercise at the Jungle Warfare School, we would arrive at an RV in a clearing, always very hot, covered in sweat, bleeding from thorns, usually with a couple of leeches hidden away somewhere on our bodies (don't ask where)-and totally knackered. Standing there would be some grinning Gurkhas and a huge metal container (called, for reasons I have never understood, a "dixie") full of a light brown liquid, gently bubbling on a wood fire, and with a ladle standing, unsupported, in the middle. There would be a rush to get out our drinking mugs and then one-by-one this nectar was served. What bliss! Far more refreshing than any cold drink. Morale rose instantly, smiles returned, backs straightened, we started to talk, and then got on with cleaning rifles, handing in ammunition and all the other things soldiers do on such occasions. And, of course, asked our friends to locate and remove any leeches - you quickly learn about your friends when they are removing one of these noxious creatures with a lighted cigarette from places with which you wish the leech - and your friend - and a lighted cigarette - should not be familiar.

The recipe? Army tea leaves in huge quantities. Water from the nearest jungle stream - unfiltered to add to the "body" and unsterilised (the tablets spoilt the taste, no bug could survive in that liquid, and, in any case, who cared?). A couple of packs of sugar. Lashings of milk - condensed, of course. Oh, yes, and let's not forget the pint of rum!

Happy, happy days

:shock:
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Memories are surfacing of tea bags drying on 6's radiators, prior to re-use.

I used to hate tea, and still do if it comes with milk and sugar. However, an elegant porcelain cup of Earl G, Orange Pekoe, Green, Rooibos, and a few herbal infusions are very acceptable to me.

Mary, I think that I can source Daintree tea reasonably easily, so if you would like to pm me your snail mail addy .............. I should probably try some myself, as I am a bit of a whimp when it comes to astringency (very low threshold, particularly at low pH. Amazing what you learn about yourself during the course of certain research projects :lol: )/

xx
Thank you Caroline, that's very kind. I've always been unsubtle in my hints, haven't I.

Before I went to CH I didn't like tea. On my first day, my mother had a word with one of the senior girls to explain my dislike (very unusual at that time). We were reassured that I would be allowed milk at breakfast instead, and that school tea was not like the strong orange brew I would have had at home.

I soon tried the tea, being eager to conform, and grew to like it, though it was a few more years before I could drink the real stuff.

Caroline: I hope we can meet when you visit next year.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

MKM wrote:Caroline: I hope we can meet when you visit next year.

Me too, very much.

The trip is still not a certainty, but I have everything crossed, and will be putting final touches to the funding application today.

xx