Capturing Mary

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

Capturing Mary

Post by marty »

Did anyone else watch this and find it utterly confusing? I watched Poliakoff's 'Friends and Crocodiles' a couple of years ago and remember being totally baffled by it, vowing never again to watch one of his dramas. However, I did watch tonight and ended up having exactly the same experience. Poliakoff hooks you in by leading the viewer on a merry dance. His films are very compelling because you always want to know what happens next but the endings never live up to promise. I find that on the surface his characters appear normal (although usually very eccentric) but actually most of them lead very bizarre, unrealistic, often surreal lives. What does everyone else think? Is Poliakoff really as good as everyone makes out or just a British version of David Lynch - i.e. all style but little else?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I didn't see either of these, but I know the feeling. You say: Never again!, but you watch again after all.

I used to watch Silent Witness (the series about pathologists). Then I saw one dubbed into German, and I could only say: What drivel! The plot was rubbish, the acting was bad. The only good thing must have been the (original) dialogue. In spite of that, I watched the first episode of the present series, again wished I hadn't, and then finally kept my resolution.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:I didn't see either of these, but I know the feeling. You say: Never again!, but you watch again after all.

I used to watch Silent Witness (the series about pathologists). Then I saw one dubbed into German, and I could only say: What drivel! The plot was rubbish, the acting was bad. The only good thing must have been the (original) dialogue. In spite of that, I watched the first episode of the present series, again wished I hadn't, and then finally kept my resolution.
I was always amazed at how the pathologists in 'Silent Witness' seemed to be sooper-dooper detectives, not only establishing a cause of death, but solving the crime as well. A load of drivel indeed.

All the pathologists I met in the past were usually semi alcoholic with a VERY dry and black sense of humour that just wanted to get the job done and p1ss off down the pub !

In fact - My kind of people !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I knew friends and crocodiles had been on before. We watched it sat night (well missed first 30mins) and wasnt inspired by it. I wanted to see what happened and I think the point of it was to show friendships if there was something else then i missed it.

Poliakoff recieved an honoury degree at my graduation two years ago!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/