" Claims to fame"

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

gma
Grecian

Re: " Claims to fame"

Post by gma »

My word, with the lists of 'names' on this thread, what a great game of six degrees of separation we could play!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

My great great great grandfather was second in command to Wellington.
I presume you mean "Old One-Leg?"

:shock:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

little_r wrote:ok here goes:

Harry Enfield nearly bought our house.
I had sunday lunch with Lord Snowdon, Viscount Lindley and enjoyed an afternoon swim!
Had dinner with Douglas Hurd MP and Lord Carrington
Perry Como had afternoon tea with my grandmother and I.
My great (x8) grandfather was the first protestant lord mayor of London (1549).
My great aunt was friends with Rupert Everett's godmother.
i appeared on the front page of The Telegraph after being punched in the face by a bloke i caught having it off in the bushes.
My grandfather used to have afternoon tea with Barbara Cartland.
I've advised Frank Bruno, John Snow, Nigel Havers, Pauline Quirk, Robert Lindsay and Rosemary Ford, Val Doonacan, Martin O'Neil, Ian McGaskill, Fern Brittain and Phil Vicary, Wendy Craig, Sir John Mill's gardener, Vernon Kay and Tess Daly, on their gardens.
Can you come and do mine?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:

I had sunday lunch with Lord Snowdon, Viscount Lindley and enjoyed an afternoon swim!
i appeared on the front page of The Telegraph after being punched in the face by a bloke i caught having it off in the bushes.
I've advised Frank Bruno, John Snow, Nigel Havers, Pauline Quirk, Robert Lindsay and Rosemary Ford, Val Doonacan, Martin O'Neil, Ian McGaskill, Fern Brittain and Phil Vicary, Wendy Craig, Sir John Mill's gardener, Vernon Kay and Tess Daly, on their gardens.
I'm sorely tempted to comment, Mary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

Can't resist this one....

I groom the shaggy crossbreed which belongs to Claire Frisby (off the telly) and used to groom the dogs which belonged to Danny La Rue's best friend.

And one of my customers is to be featured shortly in an edition of "Country Life" magazine, we're giving her poodle Daisy an extra grooming and trim today specially. She's awfully rich and never pays her bills (is that how you get to be rich?)

Stanley Dangerfield talked to me about my dogs at - er - think it was Three Counties Show. A few years ago.

And Richard Hammond gave my daughter a rather flirtatious wave and wink at Crufts a couple of years back.

One of our ex-pups belongs to Jolyse Clancey who is an up and coming junior horsewoman, eventing and such like.

My husband's cousin is married to Frank Carr (racing trainer)

(Just realised these people can't be very famous if I need to explain who they are!!!)

Katie Boyle used to buy our biodegradable poop-scoop bags, and I remember Beverley Cuddy when she was a Junior Handler showing her parents' dogs.

One more.....I went to school with Paul McCartney and Elizabeth Taylor.....well, same names, but alas NOT the originals!!!
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:Can you come and do mine?
I'm sorely tempted to comment, Mary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very unlike you NOT to comment!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Topiary springs to mind - Not to mention a certain President at present in post !!
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Liz Jay wrote:Hi

I groom the shaggy crossbreed which belongs to Claire Frisby (off the telly) and used to groom the dogs which belonged to Danny La Rue's best friend.

And one of my customers is to be featured shortly in an edition of "Country Life" magazine, we're giving her poodle Daisy an extra grooming and trim today specially. She's awfully rich and never pays her bills (is that how you get to be rich?)

Stanley Dangerfield talked to me about my dogs at - er - think it was Three Counties Show. A few years ago.

And Richard Hammond gave my daughter a rather flirtatious wave and wink at Crufts a couple of years back.

One of our ex-pups belongs to Jolyse Clancey who is an up and coming junior horsewoman, eventing and such like.

(Just realised these people can't be very famous if I need to explain who they are!!!)

Katie Boyle used to buy our biodegradable poop-scoop bags, and I remember Beverley Cuddy when she was a Junior Handler showing her parents' dogs.

One more.....I went to school with Paul McCartney and Elizabeth Taylor.....well, same names, but alas NOT the originals!!!
:lol: :lol: Thanks, Liz, that post had me hooting with laughter!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Liz Jay wrote:Hi

Stanley Dangerfield - now he has been going a long time. I have shown dogs in front of him - in about 1970 when I was friendly with a lady across the road who had pedigree chihuahuas. He seemed well into middle age then, surprised he's still around.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

englishangel wrote:

Happy to give advice! Drop into Bourne End Garden Centre! But i'm assuming you mean actual physical work? Highly unlikely to be tempted!
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

Foureyes wrote:
I presume you mean "Old One-Leg?"

:shock:
click here! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowland_Hi ... count_Hill
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Re "Marty's list of the Famous -- I am unable to understand why I am not in it !
Actually I have few claims but giggle at these : I was bowled to in the nets at CH by Edmund Blunden (hence no career as Cricketer-- or Poet) I was Light-heavyweight Champion of the RAOC -- 5 years before Henry Cooper --- Thank God not in the same era ! I captained a Team in 1958 that Bobby Charlton couldn't get into --- The Rugby Team ! --( No career in Soccer.)
In the Band with Colin Davies (Sounds suspicious !) no career as a Conductor - although nailed to several chimneys !
Come to think of it -- two , at least,of these, have "Sirdoms" I await the New Year's Honours with anticipation ! :(
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Re "Marty's list of the Famous -- I am unable to understand why I am not in it !
Actually I have few claims but giggle at these : I was bowled to in the nets at CH by Edmund Blunden (hence no career as Cricketer-- or Poet) I was Light-heavyweight Champion of the RAOC -- 5 years before Henry Cooper --- Thank God not in the same era ! I captained a Team in 1958 that Bobby Charlton couldn't get into --- The Rugby Team ! --( No career in Soccer.)
In the Band with Colin Davies (Sounds suspicious !) no career as a Conductor - although nailed to several chimneys !
Come to think of it -- two , at least,of these, have "Sirdoms" I await the New Year's Honours with anticipation ! :(
I'll have a quiet word !
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

A good university friend of one of one of my daughters won the Finnish equivalent of X Factor last year....
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I'm amazed to hear that Finalnd has an equivalent to X Factor! We happened to be in Finland the year that the Eurovision Song Contest was held there. We watched the show on TV in Turku - not the same without Terry Wogan's witterings! Then we flew home from Helsinki next day on the same plane as Britain's entry (Scooch), one of whom was sitting immediately in front of my husband. We didn't actually recognise them until people came asking for autographs. However then we realised why everyone had burst out laughing when the flight attendants had done their usual safety spiel!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'