'Alarming' juryless inquests plan

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

pa.press.net - 07.02.2008 10:14
Government plans to give the Home Secretary new powers to order sensitive inquests to be held without a jury have been branded "seriously alarming" by an influential parliamentary committee.

Little-noticed provisions in last month's Counter-Terrorism Bill would allow Jacqui Smith to block the summoning of a jury and parachute in her own choice of coroner if she deems it to be in the interests of national security or the UK's relationship with another country or "otherwise in the public interest".

Although it is included in a bill to tackle the threat of terror, the new powers are not explicitly restricted to terrorism cases and could in theory be applied to cases of deaths where no link with violent extremism is suspected.

The Joint Committee on Human Rights warned that the measures could be invoked to limit scrutiny of deaths of British servicemen killed by US "friendly fire" in Iraq or the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes, who was mistaken by police for a suicide bomber.

The Committee branded the inquest plans "astonishing", especially as they were introduced into the Bill at a late stage with no time for consultation or pre-legislative scrutiny.

Andrew Dismore MP, the Labour chair of the Committee, said: "We are seriously alarmed at the prospect that under these provisions, inquests into the deaths occurring in circumstances like that of Jean Charles de Menezes, or British servicemen killed by US forces in Iraq, could be held by a coroner appointed by the Secretary of State sitting without a jury.

"Inquests must be, and be seen to be, totally independent and in public to secure accountability, with involvement of the next of kin to protect their legitimate interests.

"When someone dies in distressing, high-profile circumstances their family need to see and feel that justice is being done, and where state authorities are involved there is a national interest in accountability as well."

The report warned that the new measures may breach the European Convention on Human Rights, to which the UK is a signatory.

"On first inspection we find this an astonishing provision with the most serious implications for the UK's ability to comply with the positive obligation in Article 2 (of the) ECHR to provide an adequate and effective investigation where an individual has been killed as a result of the use of force, particularly where the death is the result of the use of force by state agents," it said.
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
kayuki
2nd Former

Post by kayuki »

To be honest- this doesn't suprise me. This "government" and especially the home office are an embarassment to me as a Brit. The self superiority of our country is out of hand. To consider a court case without jury is simply un democtratic and something you probably wouldn't see in a third world country let alone our own "great!" Britain. I am taking them to court shortly- here's why

in my own experience, my husband from Burundi has been here as a student for 8 years now. We have been married for over 3 years- together for almost 5. We have a step daughter also who lives near to us. Even after all this time, the home office still have not granted him a permanent leave to remain (as is his human right under the european law of human rights). they keep trying to send him back to Burundi which at the moment is in the termoils of war- the governments own travel website warns against ANY travel to the country as it is so dangerous. They have treated him like a criminal! He cannot work- we cannot claim benefits as he is not a Brit Cit! They have ordered him to "report" to the home office each week- this used to be a simple monthly reporting- walking in and out. then it got to weekly reporting where they interviewed him for hours each week- asking him ridiculous things like "are you from Burundi? and "name a celebrity from Burundi....". Apparently they have contacted "Burundi" (whoever that is) and they have said that he is not from their country- even though my husband has a valid passport from there that he travelled here on 8 years ago that British immigration accepted and stamped with a visa! what hypocrites- how dare they treat him as such a lower class human? Also he remains liable for detention at any time which means they could just come and get him and lock him up!!!!!!!! what a great government we have!

Now- we want to buy a house, start a family, but we cannot! he can't work, support me, build up a deposit for a mortgage, he may be imprisoned at ANY time and yet he is just my husband- thats it! They need me to "proove that I can support him. so what have I been dong for the past 5 bloomin years??????? that doesn''t make sense anyhow as he has a degree- he wants to work- so I wouldn't need to support him if they gave him the visa!

The funny thing is- I know another immigrant who came here, a lady, had a civil ceremony with her girlfriend and got her leave to remain within 2 months! Funny thing - why on earth did that lady get her papers????????? She was from the United States!!!!!! and the government apparently is not racist! my a***
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: 'Alarming' juryless inquests plan

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DON'T GET ME STARTED, ANDY !!!!!

I get enough stick on another forum for being strictly anti-Euro !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kayuki
2nd Former

Post by kayuki »

Interesting article. But another thing I can argue for my case-

How can the governement justify to someone in my position - in imminent danger of my husband purly being detained and deported just for being my husband- how anyone from the EU can simply walk in, get a job without any worries? Personally, I am not bothered how many immigrants we accept here as they are more often than not adding value to our enconomy and bringing talents that are wearing out in our own society. But seeing so many europeans sitting next to me on the bus can't help but make me feel injustice boil my blood. It's not racist, it's injustice.

Did you know that England is the ONLY country within the EU that has NO ANNUAL LIMITS on EU immigration numbers?>>>