The Pedant's Revolt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: The Pedant's Revolt

Post by englishangel »

I have been an estate agent for over 10 years and any who tired that kind of 'speak' would be up before Trading Standards before you could say "The house that Jack built".

Having said that I have met some who would have made the denizens of the Big Brother House look intelligent.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

People who write "incidently" when they mean "incidentally", or rather they don't becasue it is not incidental at all.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote: Yes I liked Harvey Andrews back in the day and once saw him perform live along with another singer called Derek Brimstone whom you may also have heard of.

I'll google the youtube site you mention in due course.
Didn't he used to be with 'Earth, Wind and FIRE' :?:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Hi Liz Jay :offtopic: But I don't care !
Having revealed you are an "Army Brat" You have now gone up to the "Super" Status !
We are an Army Family, one of us fought as a Lt Col in the American War -- I'm not sure on which side ! :oops:
I wasn't born into the Army, since my Grandmother asked my Father NOT to go to Sandhurst -- as his Brother had just died on the NorthWest Frontier (Very Kipling !) but rather un-romantically of Appendicitis ! --- a Death Sentence there !
Both my sons were born into the Army --- neither of them have followed me ------ I wonder why ? :lol:
:backtotopic: Sorry JR !
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

People who make sensible suggestions for reunions in the non CH section :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Oooops !!!!

:axe:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

For one Heart-stopping moment, I thought that was I --- but having checked my Post, about OBs in Dorset and Hants, I find it was on the CH Topics ------- Wheeeewh ! -- Relief ! :mutley:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

However you could try the Old Blues Clubs and societies section

viewforum.php?f=6
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:My Blessed and Angelic Wife (Put up with me for 33 years !) and I have a game with "Estateagentspeak"
eg; " Ripe for Development "--- a Wreck ---- "Compact" -----Small ------ "Bijou"---- Tiny ---"Rural Location"----- Isolated
"Period Features"---5ft 3in high Doors--- "Tudor" ----Black and white Frontage -- of whatever age.-----"Sea View"----From one corner of a bedroom, between houses and a school ----- That is actually one which we encountered !

Has anybody else got any of these gems ?
The estate agents (or should I say Realtors) around here like to describe houses as 'sharp'. They must believe the word conveys some general sense of desirability. I don't think it means anything specific.

There's also 'treed', meaning 'with a tree'.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

We had the Tory candidate canvassing on our estste this week, (very daring of 'em).

He stuffed his 'manifesto' into my hand, bearing the logo.

"CONSERVATIVE...... Vote For Change."

He wasn't amused when I asked him if his back pocket stuffed full of £50 expenses bank-notes was what needed changing !

:drinkers:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

JR -- I always give the same response to electoral canvassers of any party - 'People fought long and hard for the right to a secret ballot - how dare you ask!' I see it as my civic duty to use my vote, but to whom I give it is nobody's business but mine!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Why is it that when you are handed your ballot-paper(s). they are stamped and the counterfoil-stub is numbererd by the teller ?

Surely, the 'powers-that-be' can see who voted for which candidate after the votes have been counted ?

Makes a mockery of a 'secret-ballot' if this IS the case !!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I speak as an Electoral Canvasser of many years standing ------ ! :soapbox:
As far a Local Elections go --- there is NO substitute for "Knocking on doors"
If the Candidate can't be bothered to show their face, and take the flak -- if any -- then he or she, doesn't deserve to be elected.
This is a view, taken by many of the Electorate and YES it is a secret Vote and must remain so ! I would NEVER ask anyone how they intended to vote. (With a bit of experience -- you can usually tell !)

One gentleman, on whom I called told me "You lot are all the same -- I never vote !"
I thanked him and turned to leave ---- halfway down his Drive he shouted after me -- "Who do I complain to about that Street Lamp -- which isn't working ?"

I paused --- but I couldn't resist it ---- "The Councillor that you don't vote for !" :lol:

I ain't got many testimonials ----- but I fought Three Local Elections for County and District

And I was never defeated ! ! --- so there ! :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Our local Conservative candidate landed on my doorstep when I was looking my scruffiest and asked if he could rely on my vote. I would have said "It's a secret ballot, how dare you ask, even my family don't know how I vote" True, but I think that is a little rude, so I said (with a smile) "I don't think so" he asked if I was Mary or Helen, and I said I was Mary, Helen has a postal vote from Uni, then he asked if the men (naming them) would be voting for him, I did then say "I don't KNOW but I wouldn't think so".
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

:backtotopic:

It is beautiful here today and earlier the first husband and I were wandering through the village and noticed that the Italian deli was open so we stopped for an ice-cream. While partaking of this delight a BMW pulled into the parking bay in front of us designated for people with a disability, no sticker visible, vanity (sorry "cherished") number plate. The driver proceeded to make/take a phone call (at least he HAD pulled in) while husband and I commented about people parking in such bays. When he had finished he got out of the car (probably thinking we were admiring it) turned to us and said "They look delicious them ice creams" and walked off to buy his paper (or whatever). As soon as he was out of earshot we turned to each other, said "those ice-creams" and fell about laughing, our thoughts of the miscreant (w*nker) validated in one sentence.