The Pedant's Revolt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: The Pedant's Revolt

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote:
"Laicised"! Thanks, Ann - that would apply to nuns too - I'm thinking of the horrible cruelty of the nuns who ran those terrible Magdalen homes for girls - taking their babies away? - forcing them to toil at laundry work + beatings + compulsory silence + other awful punishments? I saw a documentary ages ago, and remember being moved to tears. I might be wrong but didn't these dreadful penitentiaries exist even in the 70's? Accounts of priestly scandals are currently rife, but I think those poor girls should be remembered as well.

Anyway, those nuns make one shudder with their cold-blooded inhumanity. They should have been laicised and exposed for their deeds.
Yes, I saw that too. Those nuns were called, with horrible irony, "The Sisters of Mercy"! Sexual abuse of those girls was common too, according to the reports. They have been obliged to "apologise" and to pay compensation, though how their victims can possibly forgive them is beyond me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse_scan ... s_of_Mercy
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Joe went to a primary school run by nuns, and there was also an orphanage atached to the scool (or perhaps the other way round) He always said that one nun in particular was raving mad, and literally foamed at the mouth when crossed. He said the orphan boys were treated with some cruelty, and always looked miserable.
This was not in some remote irish village, but in an affluent part of Mill Hil, London NW.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Given the title of this thread, may I bring it back on topic? Technically nuns cannot be 'laicised' because they are 'lay' anyway, ie not ordained.

I think that even today there is still a hangover within anyone of Irish descent that priests , nuns, monks etc are not quite the same as the rest of us 'mere humans'. It is difficult to pin down - is it perhaps that having given their lives to God they can be considered above the authority of normal law? Whatever it is, it is wrong! They are human too and should be treated as such, but should also realise that they must behave accordingly if they wish to keep the respect of others. Many years ago I was a student in an RC training college and, as a recent convert (it didn't last!), used to horrify some of my fellow students by speaking to the nuns and clergy in exactly the same way that I did to other people; I was apparently headed straight for Hell anyway because I used to borrow books from the local Methodist minister and quote them in Divinity essays (and got good marks!). A clerical collar or a habit is not a mark of a superior kind of being - it simply symbolises someone who has made a certain commitment. Unfortunately the rest of us somehow then expect them to be 'better' people and blame them more than usual when they do not live up to our expectations. The same is often applied to Christians in general. If A has an affair with B's wife why should it be considered differently if A is (a) a non-Christian or (b) a Christian or (c) a priest? If it is wrong, then it is wrong!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Well done Frances, for bringing us back on Thread --- (Does that sound patronising ? -- I hope net !)

Just in passing, I should admit that, when we went to S Africa, I sent my 12 year old Son to the Christian Brothers' College in Capetown, as it seemed the best School ------ It was a mistake, he was badly treated -- mostly because he was not a Catholic -- and physical punishment was rife.
I got him out, within 2 Terms !

In any case they DIDN'T PLAY RUGBY !!! :shock: :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:Given the title of this thread, may I bring it back on topic? Technically nuns cannot be 'laicised' because they are 'lay' anyway, ie not ordained.
Wikipedia has some interesting facts aboutr RC laicisation (if that is the right word). A priest who has been thrown out can still give communion and the last rites. He is also still prohibited from marrying (special permission is required). There seem to be a lot of odd facets about the Church as a laicised and married priest (who was a teacher in the seminary) writes:
In Australia, the church was an old hag, without make-up, thin, dry hair, drab clothes, without jewels. She was a wrinkled spinster intent on preserving her virtue, with thin, pursed lips and full of suspicion... Our church in Australia was still wearing her chastity belt, long after the barbarians had lost interest.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Well done Frances, for bringing us back on Thread --- (Does that sound patronising ? -- I hope net !)

Just in passing, I should admit that, when we went to S Africa, I sent my 12 year old Son to the Christian Brothers' College in Capetown, as it seemed the best School ------ It was a mistake, he was badly treated -- mostly because he was not a Catholic -- and physical punishment was rife.
I got him out, within 2 Terms !

In any case they DIDN'T PLAY RUGBY !!! :shock: :shock:
The Christian Brothers will beat the daylights out of any boy who steps oput of line, Catholic, Protestant, and any other religion from any point of the compass; they are infamous for it!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

By the time Rupert was a hunky 17 year old Rugby Centre --- I had to dissuade him from returning to settle old scores !!! :oops:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Notice in a charity shop window today.

WE HAVE HALLOWEEN IN STOCK

Do they sell it by the pound or by the yard (or possibly in metric)?
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Maggie.. I think you should go into the shop and ask.......
:P :P :P :P
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I think this is the right Topic to express my dislike of Mr John Humphreus !

I like listening to Radio 4 in the Mornings, but when this man comes on, and is rude to contributors, interrupts them, and, for me, thoroughly spoils the interview, to which I am trying to listen, I switch off ! :evil:

Perhaps he has taken lessons from Anne Robinson, in "How to create a Career, by being rude to people " :evil:

Did you hear Jeremy Paxman, pressing Teresa May for an answer ?

"Give me a date --- give me a date "------- really laying himself open to the coy reply

"Really Mr Paxman -- are you asking me for a Date ?"
:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I look forward to hearing the voice of John Humphrys when I switch on Radio 4.

I think he's brilliant.

What's more, he doesn't do "smug", NEILL.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I think this is the right Topic to express my dislike of Mr John Humphreus !

I like listening to Radio 4 in the Mornings, but when this man comes on, and is rude to contributors, interrupts them, and, for me, thoroughly spoils the interview, to which I am trying to listen, I switch off ! :evil:

Perhaps he has taken lessons from Anne Robinson, in "How to create a Career, by being rude to people " :evil:

Did you hear Jeremy Paxman, pressing Teresa May for an answer ?

"Give me a date --- give me a date "------- really laying himself open to the coy reply

"Really Mr Paxman -- are you asking me for a Date ?"

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just caught that interview. BRILLIANT, wasn't she ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Yoofspeak. ...and I go=...and I went =...and I like went = I said.

Discuss.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I should of known like what you would ask that
:lol: :lol:
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966