The Pedant's Revolt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: The Pedant's Revolt

Post by Angela Woodford »

Tony Blair's book!

"Memoirs".

Shouldn't it have been "A Memoir?" I'm really not sure about this, but "Memoirs" would seem to me to indicate several books of Tony's experiences.

Please put me out of my misery! :lol:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I shall be unable to comment on "The Book" ---- as I have, absolutely, no intention of reading it ! :?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

................. nor me, Neill.

He and his family are money-grabbing layabouts.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I shall be unable to comment on "The Book" ---- as I have, absolutely, no intention of reading it ! :?
For heaven's sake, NEILL, I'm not asking you to read it!

Should a memoir be called "Memoirs"? It just sounds wrong. Just as a lyric shouldn't be called "lyrics".
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I read somewhere at the weekend that the writer would wait until it is translated into German, as the title would be (appropriately) 'eine fahrt'. Actually I think that's not a literal translation of 'journey', but it's apposite, all the same!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'm waiting until it is "remaindered", and Tesco has it as a BOGOF.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Our Tescos now has one aisle selling StationAry - presumably it is where they put all items hard to sell, the ones that never move off the shelves!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Angela Woodford wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I shall be unable to comment on "The Book" ---- as I have, absolutely, no intention of reading it ! :?

Should a memoir be called "Memoirs"? It just sounds wrong. Just as a lyric shouldn't be called "lyrics".
Doubts resolved. A prowl through own bookshelves revealed "Nancy Mitford: A Memoir" by the fragrant Harold Acton.

And now, flashing onscreen "The Fry Chronicles: A Memoir". (Can't wait to buy this!)

Acton and Fry! The most stylish of men! Sorted, innit?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:

Doubts resolved. A prowl through own bookshelves revealed "Nancy Mitford: A Memoir" by the fragrant Harold Acton.

And now, flashing onscreen "The Fry Chronicles: A Memoir". (Can't wait to buy this!)

Acton and Fry! The most stylish of men! Sorted, innit?

No, it ain't! Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, Angela, but I'm reading a book by Doris Lessing entitled Memoirs of a Survivor. As she's a Nobel Laureate in literature, I think the debate's still open!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

A friend of mine is reputed to have pointed out in one supermarket that the signs saying 'Ten Items or Less' should actually say 'Ten Items or Fewer' and the signs were changed soon afterwards. (Oddly I was well over 50 before I realised that there was a difference!) Unfortunately I do not recall which store it was. I do recall however shopping with the same friend for underwear in M&S and commenting that it seemed odd that bras with larger cup sizes always seemed to be at floor level, when surely it would be the less endowed customers who would find it easier to get down to that level to inspect the goods; a few weeks later in the same store we found that the displays had all been rearranged to a more comfortable level! Someone must have overheard our conversation!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Fjgrogan wrote:I do recall however shopping with the same friend for underwear in M&S and commenting that it seemed odd that bras with larger cup sizes always seemed to be at floor level, when surely it would be the less endowed customers who would find it easier to get down to that level to inspect the goods
It's not getting down to floor level that's the problem, it's getting up again.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Precisely my sentiments, Mary.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Pixie »

Shop shoe stands sometimes have the smaller sizes at the top, out of reach for those that wear them! Asda is a prime example.
3.8 65-72
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

... and in general the smallest clothes are always at the front of the rail and the largest at the back - until I get to them!! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I've given up. In supermarkets I now select the tallest person in sight, smile sweetly and ask him/her to get something from the top shelf for me. For items out of reach I ask the nearest parent with a small child if I may "borrow" the child for a minute. It works all the time!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.