A new line manager - what to do?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

A new line manager - what to do?

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sorry, but my response here takes this thread outside of CH.
Please let me reassure you. This is not CH specific but seems to be the way of the world. It isn't just Christ's Hospital. The University where I work (Chichester) is almost certainly the second smallest in the country but our standards have always been high and the achievements of our students well respected.
I have held the title of 'Head of Academic Standards' for the last ten years or more. I have been in the place for more than 28.5 years and hold its reputation in the highest regard in terms of my personal commitment to the institution. However, this year we've seen a revolution introduced by a new Vice-Chancellor who joined in April last year. Att his point (September, 18 months after he joined us) we have made redundant thirteen individuals including six academic Heads of School (many of whom were personal friends) and in their place introduced two Executive Deans of Faculty plus four Deputy Deans (two are academic undergraduate, and two are Research). On top of that there is a new layer of administrative managers, Very Highly Paid (to 'replicate' the structures in insitutions ten times our size).
One of these new people becomes my Line Manager (coming between me and the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, for whom I have worked for 12 years, who I have known for all my career in the institution [and who came with his wife to my 60th birthday party]). The new boss is not happy (though he manages five departments, mine is the only one where the original line manager is still in place, although elevated) and he is throwing his weight around. He has accused me of undertaking activities (e.g. student complaints and appeals) which are incompatible with my situation, not replicated in other larger Universities, and which he claims prevent me from managing my department properly, and he also says that I am insufficiently keyed in to national trends and developments (let me remind you, fellow Old Blues, that Dame Ruth Deech, former Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education is a former Hertford Old Blue, and well known to me.....).
I have been forbidden to meet my previous Line Manager alone, ever again, without the new boss in attendance - but the most worrying aspect is that the new boss comes over very enthusiastic etc. etc. but doesn't listen and does not implement things he appears to have agreed (it's not only I who finds this, but one other of the Heads of Section which he now manages says the same). On top of which the new boss purloined one of my staff as his 'Personal Assistant' (he 'manages' five Heads of Section, of whom I am one, and under whom overall there must be 30-40 individuals) - he did this on a day when he knew that I was on leave and could not be involved in the discussions.OOhh dear. There are also other indications that the new boss may not be as comprehensively trustworthy as we might have hoped.
As I say, turning Education into Big Business seems to be the way of the world.
If I walk away soon (which is beginning to feel very tempting!) does anyone have any ideas about a different career which might at least help towards the mortgage?!
(Sorry to have deflected this thread....)
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Re: Housey 'Peaceful Revolution'

Post by Laura M »

Professional Poker player!!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Kerren,

I am not a lawyer but your situation reads like a case of Constructive Dismissal to me, particularly given how long you have been employed by the Institution.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1073791208
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sorry folks.. I did get a bit carried away!
Thanks for the link Andy.... I will follow it through
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Mid A 15 wrote:Kerren,

I am not a lawyer but your situation reads like a case of Constructive Dismissal to me, particularly given how long you have been employed by the Institution.

I agree that your new boss's behaviour doesn't sound reasonable, but the website correctly emphasises that you need to exhaust internal means such as grievance procedures first. I'm sure you weren't thinking of resigning in a fit of anger, but that would not be a good idea, however mad he makes you. Instead, keep detailed notes of conversations, put things in writing to him whenever possible, and get things back in writing, particularly if you think he has asked you to do something unreasonable. If you get it in writing, it's potential evidence, if he's not prepared to put it in writing then he realises he's not being reasonable :) If he has agreed to do something, you could drop him a note summarising your meeting with him and confirming the action points for both of you.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious and you are doing all of this anyway..... hope he's just settling in and things improve.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Jo wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Kerren,

I agree that your new boss's behaviour doesn't sound reasonable, but the website correctly emphasises that you need to exhaust internal means such as grievance procedures first. I'm sure you weren't thinking of resigning in a fit of anger, but that would not be a good idea, however mad he makes you. Instead, keep detailed notes of conversations, put things in writing to him whenever possible, and get things back in writing, particularly if you think he has asked you to do something unreasonable. If you get it in writing, it's potential evidence, if he's not prepared to put it in writing then he realises he's not being reasonable :) If he has agreed to do something, you could drop him a note summarising your meeting with him and confirming the action points for both of you.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious and you are doing all of this anyway..... hope he's just settling in and things improve.

You are right to advocate caution Jo. I just wanted Kerren to be aware (if she wasn't already) that there MIGHT be a way to fight back!

That particular link has the ACAS helpline number which I have found very useful in the past.

The rise of bureaucracy may have changed things but once upon a time you could phone the helpline without giving personal details and "talk through" in general terms a problem and they would suggest ways of solving it and / or give advice as to your rights.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello everyone.. thank you so much for your advice, and words of wisdom (including those who have been kind enough to send me PM's). I feel really guilty to have hijacked the CH thread, and in such angst and such detail.
I am still considering my options, but the advice that I should record everything (not difficult, since I have all the e mails) is sound and I can do that., easily. I may also seek an initial interview with our HR department - who already knows that I am dissaffected by the new boss's move, behind my back, to appoint one of my staff as his 'PA'. I'll take it from there.... but tomorrow my 'original' boss returns from leave (albeit to an horrendously busy schedule) and if I have an opportunity to share my concerns with him, then I will take it. The analysis of my 'new' boss is that he is a 'little man', full of his own 'self importance'. Someone said he looked like a bustling Bank Manager (apologies to any Old Blues who are Bank Managers!).
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Good luck,Kerren. I have worked in organisations where a lot of underhand things were done, and know that it is very stressful. Don't let him drive you out unless you have something else lined up, and get EVERYTHING in writing.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: A new line manager - what to do?

Post by jtaylor »

I've split this topic out from the Peaceful Revolution topic
(viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2815),
both to gain more visibility, but also to keep the other topic concise and on track.

Both are important, and I didn't want either to get lost!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Kerren, this bloke sounds like a total arse and a bully whose keen to do nothing more than show he's boss. In my experience (I'm only 30 but I've experienced this behaviour at work) these Hitler-types carry on until someone stands up to them. Most of the time if you confront them they back down. The part about you not being able to meet with your old line manager without your new boss being present is outrageous and totally wrong. No one has the right to prevent you from talking to anyone on a one-to-one basis.

Although a rather scaled-down version of your situation, I used to work with a woman who often threw her [considerable] weight around and generally terrified all the other people in the office. One day she played her usually trick of snapping at someone over some entirely trivial matter. That someone was me. In a rather loud voice (so everyone could hear) I accused her of being vindictive to which she sat in her chair squirming away. From that day on she was nice as pie to me and never gave me any grief again.

Whilst there are legal channels for you to pursue I would give your new boss the chance to explain himself. You should call a clear-the-air meeting with him and explain exactly how feel about what he's done (probably with someone else present as a witness). Get everything out into the open, be firm but not agressive and give him the opportunity to rectify/apologise for any mistakes you feel he's made. If he doesn't play ball or back down then you should take legal advice.

Whatever happens I hope you get it sorted. Please keep us posted!!! :D
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Fantastic advice, Marty! What good sense you talk.

I particularly agree with having someone else present at a clear-the-air meeting.

(BTW, I've just spotted the cover of the Radio Times. It is SHE! Or has your passion died?)
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Thanks, Angela!

Not seen the Radio Times but I'm presuming you're referring to her sainted Bruceness? If so then I assure you my passion will never, EVER, wane for Her Gorgeousness. See how lovely she is. I gave her those flowers:

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Right there on the cover of the Radio Times!

The ladies in our local newsagent gave me a very funny scrutiny when I spotted said publication and gave an excited shriek. I grabbed the copy of the RT to examine it more closely. I must have seemed overexcited.

"Fiona!!!"

"Like her then do 'ee midear?" They exchanged a knowing look.

"No... noo..." I explained, lamely. "It's just that a friend - well not exactly a friend - very keen on..."

They nodded in an understanding way. "Very pretty. Very pretty. You tell your friend!" (Giggling).

But Marty! To co-ordinate your flowers with the colours she's wearing - you are truly her Mr Right!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Angela Woodford wrote:But Marty! To co-ordinate your flowers with the colours she's wearing - you are truly her Mr Right!
Looks like the stalking paid off then!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've just come over all 'unnecessary ' !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.