Will never buy bread again.....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Will never buy bread again.....

Post by sejintenej »

lonelymom wrote:You're making me feel guilty! And since I'm desperately trying to cut back on our outgoings (increase in CH fees, don't-you-know :roll: ) I'm beginning to wonder if it's cheaper to make bread than buy it. The problem is, our bread use is quite erratic, sometimes we get through loads, other times one loaf seems to last forever. So, my question is, does it freeze well?
Cheaper? at regular prices for flour then it is a bit cheaper (and tastes infinitely better). However, supermarkets are always breaking bags or not selling in time so you can often get bread-making flour at about half price. You will need yeast and, having got a "mother" you could in theory keep some back for the next bake, saving just a bit more money. The big question has to be energy prices (electricity / gas for the oven at very hot temperatures) - I haven't done the calculations but if you could combine with regular oven use then that would save money. I must admit that I haven't been able to get a proper UK style loaf to work properly, but bread like foccacia has been fine for me - you will have wasteage as you learn.

Freezing? we very often/usually freeze shop bought bread and get out just enough for the day so the answer is yes. Do keep it in an airtight bag because freezers dehydrate things over time.

HTH
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I have had a breadmaker for years which I rarely remember to use, but I have recently tried it again, which has reminded me why I had stopped using it! Although the resulting bread is fine, it nearly always sticks in the tin, no matter what I do to prevent it. As a result we have to resort to poking all sorts of implements down the sides to release the bread, so the inside of the tin is getting more and more scratched and therefore even less non-stick. I have made bread in it from scratch, but more often I just sling in a packet of bread mix and add water, which works fine too. I have noticed that the bread goes stale quicker than store-bought bread. Anyway this forum has stirred me to start experimenting with all the other programmes. I think I have a pack of rye breadmix in the cupboard, but not sure how long it has been there - I believe that if rye flour is kept for too long it can produce strange effects, such as hallucinations - something to do with ergot; someone had a theory that the Salem witches were really just suffering from ergot poisoning from using out of date flour! There must be scope for trying all manner of different flours - I was amazed at the range of breads in the shops in Finland.

I have in the past used the breadmaker just to mix and rise breadmix and then shaped it and put it into the oven - that worked well and meant that I could make two smaller loaves and freeze one. I used to be quite happy to make bread from scratch, as taught by Miss Jukes. I am not sure these days whether my back will stand up to all that kneading, which is a pity because it is actually very therapeutic, but I'll try it and see. I tend to get confused with sorting out the relative quantities of fresh yeast, dried yeast and quick acting yeast. Can anyone provide me with a handy conversion chart, please? My preference is for fresh yeast, which can be frozen. The instore bakery at our local Tesco used to give away fresh yeast for free. I don't know if they still do, because these days we order online and get everything delivered (I blame it on Neill's friend Ann O'Domini - except that I must be 20 years younger than Neill!!) - actually mainly because we no longer have a car to transport it all - the delivery charge is less than the bus fares would be, except that we now have free bus passes!

So thank you to whoever started this thread - it has inspired me to try again. I might even invest in a new breadmaker. I do also have a yoghurt maker, and an icecream maker which I ought to make better use of ( there will be pedants revolting about that !). The instruction book for my ice cream maker called for vanilla powder - what on earth is that and where can I get it? And is there any point when I can get Carte D'Or's new Cinnamon Waffle ice cream (we ordered three this week, while Tesco still have them on offer!) and Mrs Beaton's Ginger ice cream, neither of which require any effort on my part? And please, Kerren, tell me all about making marmalade in a breadmaker. I used to make marmalade, but cheated and bought prepared fruit, but actually there are jars in the cupboard which are years old, so perhaps there is no point in doing more.

So, lots of good intentions - quite clearly it is very nearly midsummer - I am one of those people who hibernate in the winter, but this is the reverse side of that!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:I have had a breadmaker for years which I rarely remember to use, but I have recently tried it again, which has reminded me why I had stopped using it! Although the resulting bread is fine, it nearly always sticks in the tin, no matter what I do to prevent it.
I assume that you are oiling the tin thoroughly even though it says "non-stick". Try lining it with foil or even greaseproof paper (after oiling).
Fjgrogan wrote:I have in the past used the breadmaker just to mix and rise breadmix and then shaped it and put it into the oven - that worked well and meant that I could make two smaller loaves and freeze one. I used to be quite happy to make bread from scratch, as taught by Miss Jukes. I am not sure these days whether my back will stand up to all that kneading, which is a pity because it is actually very therapeutic, but I'll try it and see. I tend to get confused with sorting out the relative quantities of fresh yeast, dried yeast and quick acting yeast. Can anyone provide me with a handy conversion chart, please? My preference is for fresh yeast, which can be frozen. The instore bakery at our local Tesco used to give away fresh yeast for free. I don't know if they still do, because these days we order online and get everything delivered (I blame it on Neill's friend Ann O'Domini - except that I must be 20 years younger than Neill!!) - actually mainly because we no longer have a car to transport it all - the delivery charge is less than the bus fares would be, except that we now have free bus passes!
Mixing and kneading: do you have a biiiig mixing machine like the big Kenwood (as an example)? They have a dough hook which will certainly knead - my mother used to use one in the early 1950's.

Not used fresh yeast but you need half the quantities of dried yeast (ie 2:1). ISTR that quick acting quantity is equal to dried. Dried yeast keeps well in a cool dry place. Do remember that yeast is a living and reproducing organism; in the presence of warm water and sugar it will replicate so using too little is not a problem; indeed at least one cook advocates using half of the common recipe amount and leaving longer to rise.

Tesco free yeast? Not to my knowledge. AIUI they only finish pre-prepared bread
Fjgrogan wrote:an icecream maker which I ought to make better use of ( there will be pedants revolting about that !). The instruction book for my ice cream maker called for vanilla powder - what on earth is that and where can I get it?
Someone gave me an ice-cream maker but I can only use it (and eat the icecream) when SWMBO is away :(
Can I suggest the seeds from a vanilla pod!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

No No !------- a VANILLA POD ------ Not a SENNA POD ! :lol:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

This is a fascinating thread. Has anyone actually clicked on the link with which I started it......
I was expecting lots of gasps of horror but instead we are debating the ins and outs of breadmakers!
The book which came with mine, Frances, gives instructions for making jam etc., and I simply used the oranges from my friend's garden. I must say it was delicious...
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:This is a fascinating thread. Has anyone actually clicked on the link with which I started it......
I was expecting lots of gasps of horror but instead we are debating the ins and outs of breadmakers!
Yes, Kerren. I did and regretted wasting the energy. I think that the change to breadmakers was particularly apt as people want to avoid the horrors of Northern Ireland style bread!!!

Jam has been the subject in the past tho' I haven't been back to find it. Jam in breadmakers? sounds a bit way-out; doesn't make me feel a breadmaker is a must have (can't get one here anyway!)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I've often thought of buying a breadmaker to send to my French friends as a gift, because I had not seen one on sale in French shops or catalogues etc.. In the past I have actually taken them fresh bread that I had baked in the hours before I flew out there. Even when squashed (once I had to cram more stuff into my cabin bag because of baggage restrictions at Gatwick) they enjoyed every mouthful!
Re jam.. my breadmaker is a Kenwood Rapid Bake. The book which came with it has a recipe for Apricot jam (about 12 oz) with the following overriding principles :
Use fresh fruit and cut large fruits into halves or quarters
Use jam sugar with added pectin to ensure a good set
If using fruits with low pectin, add 5-10 ml of lemon juice
Always use oven gloves
Stay present throughout the process to keep an eye on the boiling jam to ensure it does not boil over and, if necessary, to stir
Transfer cooked jam to clean sterilised jar, seal and label

The specification for the machine says that option 11 (jam) kneads first for 45 minutes, then for 15 minutes, a total time of 1 hour. This is the same as the one hour bread cycle (for quick bread) although there the kneading time is 11 minutes plus 17 minutes rising time plus 31 minutes baking time. I deduce from this that not every breadmaker has a jam making facility......?

The specific apricot jam recipe says :
250g fresh apricots
10 ml lemon juice
15 ml water
250 jam sugar with pectin
15 g butter

Halve and stone the fruit. Cut each into four pieces and put in bread pan. Add lemon juice and water
Insert and lock bread pan into machine. Close the lid and select programme 11 (Speciality.. jam). Set a separate timer for 15 minutes.
Weigh the sugar and place in bowl. After 15 mins, add gradually to the bread pan. Add the butter. With a non-stick implement, scrape down the sides of the pan to remove sugar (NB the breadpan is hot).
At the end of the cycle turn off, remove the bread pan, pour the jam into sterilised jar, seal and label.

Wonder how many of you will now experiment?!
Kerren Simmonds
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Thanks for the recipe - how timely, as apricots seem to be in season now! I imagine it would totally finish off the non-stick finish of mine!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I make my jam in a big stainless steel casserole - currently waiting for the plums on Mother's tree to ripen - looks like a bumper crop this year.
Used to make my own bread, never tried a bread-maker, but am tempted to buy one - any tips on the best one, price/quality ratio?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Panasonic. I havenot had to grease the pan in at least 2 years, and get the loaves out easily. (That has probably put the mockers on my bread making!)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

'Which' puts Panasonic first and Kenwood second....
Good luck
I'm ALMOST inspired to start using mine again!
Kerren Simmonds
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We were thinking of a bread maker, and a friend gave us a loaf she had made in hers. John did not like the hole in the bottom where the beater (?) had been. Do they all have that, or can you make a loaf without a hole in the bottom?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

That's the bit that always put me off making bread, and I always struggled to get the beater out without ripping a great big hole in the loaf! I was wondering whether it was possible to make one without the beater too :?:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

if you pre-mix andf nead it then yes, but otherwise it will just make a sticky mess. I found this out the first time I tried to use one when I didn't push the container all the way in and it didn't mix
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes there will always be a 'hole' in the bottom, but you can minimise it either by withdrawing the loaf from the tin very early/quickly (when the loaf is still hot but also maleable) or later when it's cold and you can just pull the beater out without twisting..... I've had occasions when the beater was 'stuck in' and I had to rummage around to cut it out. OK on those occasions the centre of the base of the loaf was a hole, but the rest of the loaf was well worth eating.
Kerren Simmonds