Swine Flu.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Swine Flu.

Post by J.R. »

So what's the situation in your area ?

We've had over 4 cases in schools confirmed in the Dorking area.

More worryingly, one of our footy-playing grand-daughters is under close scrutiny as she was round at her best mates house several days ago, and a day later, said friend came down with symptoms and it was confirmed as Swine-Flu on Wednesday.

Said friend is now under 'House-Arrest' for a further four days !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Swine Flu.

Post by lonelymom »

Well, I know of quite a few cases round here, both kids in local schools and adults. Plus, my youngest swims 5 evenings a week and one of her coaches has it, in addition to 3 squad members. The humidity around the pool is probably the perfect breeding-ground for the germs! I guess it's inevitable that most of us will get it at some time, so it's just a case of when rather than if :(
lonelymom :rolleyes:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Has anybody mentioned the letter we got from CH confirming that some suspected cases before the holidays have been confirmed as swine flu? :roll:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

It is just a form of flu no more no less.

Unpleasant and debilitating if you catch it but no more life threatening than any other form of flu. Vulnerable people with "underlying health problems" or whatever the phrase is die of ordinary flu too.

I hope your grandaughter avoids it JR all the same.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Talking to my GP's surgery today.

Apparently there are now over 100,000 REPORTED cases in GB, and it is believed that for every confirmed case, 2 more cases will go un-recorded for whatever reason.

SO - We're now over 300,000 cases.

Personally, I'll stick with the alcohol preventative measures ! They may not be 100% effective, but hey - Who cares ?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

we have been told at work if we have any symptons that could be swine flu to go home and not come back till completly gone.

I admit i would rather get it now rather than in October when is predicted to be high-i dont want to cancel my wedding for that.

It does seem for most people its like having a heavy cold and i know people who have gotten over it just be resting and taking paracetamol
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

blondie95 wrote: I admit i would rather get it now rather than in October when is predicted to be high-i dont want to cancel my wedding for that.
Oh dear, that would be awful! :shock: On the other hand, if any of your guests are not able to attend, I'm available at short notice to make up the numbers!! :wink: Not that I'm wishing any of them get swine flu, but I do like wedding cake! :tonqe:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I like wedding cake too.

Seriously, my daughter's housemate had swine flu confirmed then she got the same symptoms so they sat on the sofa last weekend wrapped in duvets taking it in turns to get the Lemsip and watching the Open golf. Film star son had similar symptoms Saturday and Sunday and didn't even take to the sofa, just the Lemsip and ibuprofen (no contact with daughter) then went back to filming on Monday.

Husband took to his bed on Wednesday and has lived on Lemsip and eggs in various forms for the last 3 days.

Younger son and I have resisted so far, but I now have 4 days off and "Sod's Law states....".

For those I know who have had it it doesn't even seem as debilitating as the usual winter flu.

My 84 year old Dad (with COPD) and my sister and sister-in-law who have asthma (and one has type 1 diabetes as well) it could be a different story.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Now there's a thought - wedding cake by e-mail for all regular members of the forum?!

I haven't actually heard of any specific cases of swine flu around here, although I did read in the local paper that there were cases in two local primary schools. I am however beginning to wonder whether the really heavy cold that I brought back from Finland in early May may have been more than a cold, especially when I read that symptoms can include vomiting and diarrhoea (how do you spell that word?). On Easter Sunday I was the only one in the house fit enough to feed a week-old baby, who had to be transferred from breast to bottle for a few days. Then as all the others were recovering I caught the tummy bug followed by the heavy cold and had to postpone my flight for a few days. The 'cold' lasted for weeks after I was home, which is unusual for me.

I was rather amused in church last week when the vicar announced that some people had been concerned about the danger of infection from receiving communion. He assured us there was no danger, but we normally have pieces broken from a bread roll, and have now switched to the more conventional wafers, which I much prefer. No suggestion yet of having our wine in individual glasses rather than a shared chalice, though!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

englishangel wrote:Film star son had similar symptoms Saturday and Sunday and didn't even take to the sofa, just the Lemsip and ibuprofen (no contact with daughter) then went back to filming on Monday.
Ooooh, has he been in anything I might have seen? 8)
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I did when stood in wedding dress having it fitted the other week joke the wedding would be cancelled because everyone has swine flu!

I think people need to keep it all in perspective, yesterday on the news the numbers show its around 1 in 500 are currently being diagnosed and that of those who died they all had 'other issues'. Like its been said it does not seem to be as heavy as normal seasona flu that kept me in bed for 10 days in January.

Unfortunatly children will spread it the most but then isnt that the case with most things including colds and stomach bugs-they go round schools very quickly because their immune systems are weaker.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Frances, I don't think the words swine and flu had even been put together at Easter.

Lonelymom, that was motherly love licence (exaggeration) speaking.

He started doing extra work last year with a couple of odd corporate videos but the first feature film he has been in has not been released. He was picked for "The Boat That Rocked" but shooting coincided with something else he was cast for which ended up being cancelled so he didn't do either. Since before Easter he has been doing a lot of extra (background artiste, jourheyman actor) work on a Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe, Robin Hood film ( http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/ ) which is due to be released next May. He has been mostly on location in Surrey (Bourne Woods) and in Pembrokeshire (Freshwater West) but has a week or two at Shepperton Studios to come.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Not a lot, as yet, around here -- I think the nearest is Porstmouth.

The Bish of Salisbury has sent a "Directive" read out by our Rector Pamela, on Sunday, that we have the wafers put into our hands -- not on the tongue -- (Never did !) and that Wine would be available from two chalices at the side of the Church, should Communicants wish to take it.

I, and some others, did but the majority of the rest --- about 80 people didn't.

The Blessed Anne's Baptist Chapel, have always had little individual glasses.

I think both Churches should have joint sessions of Prayer -- for Blondie's Wedding !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Latest news from the press is that fit and healthy people who contract swine-flu find it LESS troublesome than a heavy cold !

I'm starting to think the whole thing is a Governement spin to cover up future f*ck-ups.

Or to put it another way, they go on holiday for over 80 days, then come back and blame everything on the NHS and the poor old British electorate !
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

J.R. wrote:Latest news from the press is that fit and healthy people who contract swine-flu find it LESS troublesome than a heavy cold !
See thats where its all going to come unstuck, businesses having policies to control spread by if you have any sypmtons stay at home until completly gone-fine if you cant move for it, but as said many feel like they have a cold-and would if it were a normal cold still go to work! If we are all going to get it then surely this whole staying home until all gone could lead to businesses having very few staff actually in the office!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02