Remember, remember..........

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Remember, remember..........

Post by J.R. »

............ the 5th. of November.

Tonight has had to have been the quietest EVER bonfire night.

3 rockets and that was it.

Mind you - having seen the price of fireworks this year, I'm hardly surprised !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Remember, remember..........

Post by Katharine »

You had 3 more than we did!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Not one firework here in Devon, either.

Back in Kent it could get quite scary! Overflowing A&E departments...

Mind you, I was momentarily tempted to get a packet of sparklers!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Is it Health and Safety or lack of interest that has provided the damp squid?
The local version of H&S over here has tried to regulate the sale of fireworks, but it is a way of life, so there have been umpteen protests.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Perhaps the financial situation? People just don't have money to waste sending it up (literally) in smoke?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I think it's a combination of having fireworks at lots of other times during the year these days, plus people make more of Halloween these days and Bonfire Night follows on too quickly afterwards.

I think it's a shame. Trick or treating is an American import which has only been picked up over here because kids get something out of it. Bonfire Night is an old British tradition that ought not to be allowed to die away.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

[quote="jhopgood"]Is it Health and Safety or lack of interest that has provided the damp squid?

...sounds a bit fishy to me... :lol: :lol:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

We had an hour or so of pops, bangs and whizzes but there have been odd fireworks going off here and there for several weeks, since they went on sale just inside the front door of Sainsburys, The organised bonfires/fireworks are on Saturday so I expect that night will be quite noisy.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

My mother who lives in lewes revealed that it was another gret bonfire night there though she dared not venture out feeling somewhat clausto with the 60 000 or so people present.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I'd never heard of the Lewes bonfire activities until I met my partner, who grew up in the area. He took me 3-4 years ago to see their bonfire parade..... they're all mad :lol: :lol:.

There are at least five bonfire societies that are almost like social clubs and spend months planning their costumes and themes. And they burn an effigy of the pope - though as they are keen to emphasise, it's not the current pope, it's the one at the time of the Gunpowder Plot. There is precious little attention to health and safety, which might be a good thing in some people's eyes but I rather disliked having bangers dropped at my feet by passing paraders. But an.....interesting.....experience!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've never 'done' the Lewes celebrations.

Brockham, a village between Dorking and Reigate have a massive 'do' every year.

This year, both Leatherhead and Dorking have cancelled their annual bonfire night displays due to 'lack of sponsorship' !

Incidently, one should look closely at the Religious implications of Guy Fawkes night. (Or should that be Guido Fawke's night ?)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't understand why, but tonight - Friday 6th November - it's been total mayhem outside for the last two hours. Fireworks galore. My dog is so fearful that I can't shift her from my legs, wherever I am, and even the cats are spooked, which I have not previously observed. And the local big organised displays are tomorrow. AArrggh!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Brockham, a village between Dorking and Reigate have a massive 'do' every year.
We did this a couple of years ago and it was fantastic!! That accolade is quite some achievement for a firework freak like me!! Also done the Sardine Festival in Canaries and a ton of randm events in Hong Kong. Just as happily tho, off tonight all boots and fur hats to a local one!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I don't wish to be a Spoil-sport but------- since I was in the business of explosive devices and the like, I realise the dangers, which are inherent.

I love Firework Displays, when carried ou professionally, with due consideration for Safety (And sometimes--- even then --!)
But small boys holding Roman Candles, Bangers thrown at cars or people etc. makes me sad, rather than angry.

Note the tradgedy of the Woman burned to death, because a firework was pushed through her letterbox ----- I expect the Culprit, if caught, will get a Community Service Order ---- which he (Or she) will ignore !!! :(

I think I have already told the story of the Yobs who were rounded up and put in a Patrol Car, taken 7 miles to the Police Station, where the Desk Sergeant was very very busy, with other things ---- until the last bus had gone !!!!
He then "Warned " them --- and they had to walk home !! It cured the "Problem" --- but that was in a village.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
I think I have already told the story of the Yobs who were rounded up and put in a Patrol Car, taken 7 miles to the Police Station, where the Desk Sergeant was very very busy, with other things ---- until the last bus had gone !!!!
He then "Warned " them --- and they had to walk home !! It cured the "Problem" --- but that was in a village.

Arr - The GOOD old days !!

Not one firework here last night, (Friday)

It's Brockham night tonight, which we can hear from here and we're some 3 miles away !