Face Book- What am I missing?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Re: Face Book- What am I missing?

Post by mvgrogan »

cover their faces while typing?
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Maybe apply loads of kohl pencil + fluttery lashes for the bit of their picture that can show?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Post by barwen »

Our eldest son is a serving member of the R.A.F. When on long detachments abroad, he looks forward to the odd game of SCRABBLE with mum or dad. Provided free by Facebook. Apart from that, it is a good source for people prying into your private life and we do not allow our thirteen year old son, anywhere near it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Loosen up, barwen!

My son is a serving Royal Engineer. I'm happy that he regards me as a Facebook friend, and I celebrate all the glam and pretty girls who send him messages. Scrabble with parents? I'm happy to hear when he's home on leave.

A thirteen year old son? Believe me, if he wants past your prohibitions, he'll do it!

People prying into your private life? Is yours so risqué? I love all the HOGOFs (Hertford Old Girls On Facebook) with whom I share the minutiae and exciting moments of our lives.

Loosen up!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

People can only pry as far as you let them - the privacy settings are pretty good and have just been upgraded, again.

As for the 13 year old...there is an age limit, so he shouldn't be anywhere near it, anyway! I can't remember if it's 16 or 18 but I do know that I have a cousin logged in with his brother's date of birth!!! no idea if their mother knows but I didn't friend him (or his brother) so he has no access to my "stuff".

I belong to a group of english speaking ladies who meet once a month for "fun & fellowship" and we just started our own FB group so we can organise our get-togethers more efficiently and share our photos more easily. Only 2 of the group are not on FB already and are both considering creating "minimal fake" profiles, just to join the online group. Neither wants other people finding them and bothering them - one said she would feel guilty not accepting friend requests, as if it were a personal slight against that individual.

Personally I don't put anything on FB that I don't want to share.... BUT I do have 2 profiles... one for the finnish lot and one for everyone else! In practise, it separates my colleagues from my clients and family photos often get posted on both.
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Post by barwen »

Firstly I am talking about children, not consenting adults!
The accepted legal age for an account with Facebook is 13 (check it out if you doubt me) which we believe to be too young and the reason why we take this view. Recent media would back up our fear of predators' cruising Facebook and for that reason we as responsible parents are not prepared to take the risk !
For all those poor kids who have fallen foul of Facebook predators may now wish that their parents had taken a similar stance. Loosen up ! no way, not where my children are involved. After all, anything they wish to share with their friends can easily be achieved next day within the playground.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

13 is too young... I agree.... good for you for keeping him away.
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Post by barwen »

Thank's for your supportive reply