Cats, dogs, pets and other animals....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Cats, dogs, pets and other animals....

Post by englishangel »

Cats, Dogs, Pets and Other Animals.....
Posted Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 pm by J.R.

As the subject of our beloved pets often seems to creep into other threads, I thought I'd start a dedicated section !

J.R.

Moved from General Chat - CH
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Cats, dogs, pets and other animals....

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yay, beloved pets, JR! What should we say about them? We love them to bits and they are an intrinsic part of our family (especially for those of us who are single?).
I am looking to move house this year, into a retirement property, and am in the throes of redecorating/repairing the bits that need repairing/having the garden cleared and the rubbish removed/decluttering the house - in which I have lived for the last 15 years, during which I have thrown precious little away. I found an ideal place (for when my house is ready to go on the market in the Spring 2010). But the managing agent said that I could take two cats but not one little dog (err...? - even though the property has its own small garden). One so-called friend suggested that I might consider euthanasia or rehoming. HELLO......??!
That encapsulates my view of my cats and dog... I would never give them up until nature does so of its own accord.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Likewise. My last cat was my little friend for about 14 years, during most of which I was single so she was a real companion. She was an adorable little soul. In the late 90s I was troubled by cellulitis (skin infection on my legs) a number of times, the last time ending up in hospital for 3 weeks on IV antibiotics and with a big hole in my leg. The infection can be triggered by any sort of skin break such as a cat scratch or flea bite, and tends to recur once you've had it once.

Nevertheless I was gobsmacked when my father suggested that I should seriously think about getting rid of the cat. He just didn't understand! :shock:

I'm pleased to say she stayed with me until her health failed and she went on her last trip to the vet.

Have to say, though, I don't feel quite the same about our current two. We wouldn't get rid of them, but we got them as adults and they are incredibly badly behaved (shredded furniture, attention seeking, jumping up where they shouldn't.....). They can be rather hard to love sometimes :roll:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I hope you won't think this too presumptuous, but several years ago I wrote a poem following the death of my partner's much-loved, semi-feral black cat, Acid. I adored him too, he was such a "character". We still miss him.

AFTERWARDS

A cup of tea, a cigarette - it's shock,
I'm shaking. Don't know how I made it back,
must get a grip. I've got to be a rock
for you to break your heart against, not crack
when you come home. Expect I'll cry again
as only I know what he means to you,
this cat - your constant, all that kept you sane.
Another cigarette. To see me through.

You said, if love could save him, he'd survive.
We nursed him like a firstborn, helped him fight
from diagnosis up to yesterday.
And then, your bleak acknowledgement - alive
was not a life. I cried. You wept, last night.
An hour ago I signed his breath away.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

As I usually do ---- I will probably upset most people, on this Forum !

We have no Pets -- other than TBA's Tropical Fish Tank, and my big Garden Pond, for Fish Frogs Newts and the like.

I have owned and trained many Gun-Dogs, as well as having weird pets such as a Crow, a Snake (Grass) and a Toad, which would appear, for the benefit of visitors "On Command" (SSHH -- a splash of water over his hole !)

Why have we escaped from the "Tyrrany of Pets ?"

We can go to Paris -- or New York -- next weekend -- without the requirement of putting the pets into Catteries or Doggeries, or reluctant (But polite) Neighbours.

Our Finances are, considerably , strengthened by avoiding Vet's fees and the purchase of Chappies, Ceasar, Revoltees and Disgustees, as promoted, on TV, by , patently, false cat's paws pushing the product at you ! "I can't Read" but YOU can !

When in someone else's house, I will gladly stroke the cat on my knee, or fondle the dog's ears, while he tells me how underfed and overworked he is, I love animals, of all sorts, but not when they are in competition with me, which is why all the Grey Sqirrels which were attacking my Victoria Plum Trees and Apple Trees --- have died of Lead poisoning ------

(Administered through the Ear !!)

I adore the two Black Labradors which live close to us, and visit, on the off =chance of a biscuit, but I don't have to look after them for life !

One last thought, before I retire to my Bunker ------and wait for "Incoming !"
Other than Parrots --- pets don't live as long as their Owners, you are laying up Grief, for yourselves and the Children !
:( :(
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

No 'incoming' from me Neill.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think all young children should have animal care and respect as part of the education for life.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, all teach young children animal care and to grieve when they die. But older people, unless for companionship for singles if required, no. Though I have seen advertisements by the RSPCA regarding "Home for Life" if a pet owner dies.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote: But older people, unless for companionship for singles if required, no.
Huh? Would you take Ferdinand away from us, Mary? We love him. :o
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I would not do it myself, but I have no objections at all to anyone else doing it if it suits them/their lifestyle. As long as no-one expects me to care for their pets while they are on holiday.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I'd be thrilled to be trusted with somebody's precious pet!

Except... maybe... Borat, the slinky black cat from no 2, who has no fear of anything, anywhere. He has set off on a long journey, only to be recovered, thanks to his microchip, miles away, heading for Taunton. He has appeared with a shaven and sutured side after having struggled with some barbed wire. He has graciously attended a street party, sitting in state on the best chair, requesting to be fed the luxury king prawns supplied by a generous neighbour.

Glossy fur, bright green eyes; intrepid and fearless!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

There you go, he wouldn't find luxury king prawns in THIS house, the humans would have eaten them
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi All

A great many of the arguments against pets could also apply to children - noisy, smelly, expensive, tying, destructive, cause of worry and heartache etc etc etc

But I wouldn't want to have missed out on having either in my life as they have between them given oodles of pleasure over the years - !

Liz
(Mother to Laura and Richard, and sharing life at the moment with Bearded Collies, cats, and cockatiels)
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes, Liz... circumstances have dictated that I have no human children so to many I guess I would seem to come over as sad and all the rest of it. But my life is so totally enriched by my canine (Willow, now) and feline (Salt and Pepper) companions that I am forever grateful for their loving company. Apologies to all you non-pet people out there! My three are my family, and I would defend that to my last breath.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

My 170lb Harlequin Great Dane (Truman) (or Hairy Ass Truman - to give him his full name) and Lucy, my Boxer/Lab (Blab??) are like children to me. Couldn't imagine life without them. Although....there would be a LOT more room in the house, now that I think about it!!!