The Forthcoming General Election

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: The Forthcoming General Election

Post by Vonny »

mvgrogan wrote:
Hannoir wrote:question - did anyone here vote whilst at CH? I missed the 2001 election by a few months - turned 18 in sept 01, don't recall anyone voting then but there is a polling station at CH right? Or did people have to vote by post/be shipped off to the nearest polling station?
I think I must have cast my first vote at CH. I turned 18 in November 86 and left in Summer 87
I think you probably did Maria. I know I did. I vaguely recall going to the manual school to vote :? Not 100% certain though! Definitely did not leave the school to vote though.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, it's around 3:30pm the day after, and we STILL ain't any the wiser !

Now the bartering begins.

:axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

It's 3:50pm and my constituency hasn't even declared yet! One of the last two to do so, typical!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

...... and on this note, Jan has just received the following text, which I found highly amusing !

"I get so confused. Thought I was voting for an erection then found out it wan an election. As it turns out, I am not so confused. It IS a big cock-up !"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Wuppertal wrote:It's 3:50pm and my constituency hasn't even declared yet! One of the last two to do so, typical!
There is one which will hold the national election in a couple of weeks time; one of the contestants kicked the bucket.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

In the meantime I understand that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of voters who were not able to cast their vote yesterday because either their queues were too long and the polling stations closed prompt on 9.50 p.m., or there wer insufficient voting papers. Apparently the local councils were overwhelmed this time by the extent of the willingness of the population to vote and had underestimated both the facilities they should provide, and the documentation they needed to have ready for potential voters. The political leaders have all criticised the issue, but surely its a local government thing and that, as a result, hung parliament aside (and it will be interesting to know who eventually wins whose attachment), there ought to be another election, soon, properly resourced?
Having said that, I'm OK.. I have a postal vote which I posted on Tuesday (was on holiday when it arrived last week), but it didn't do much to dent the Tory stronghold in the South of England.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The good news, (well, for me personally). is that Mole Valley District Council has returned to 'No Overall Control', with the Tories losing two wards and the Independents losing two wards.