Weeds or wildflowers?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Weeds or wildflowers?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Thanks !
I have some of the "Paint-on" and I will try that if the spray doesn't work. Of course it is the ROOTS of the G.E. which arer the spreading problem.

I have laid up treaure for myself, in Heaven, by sparing a little Fern, which I tried to kill last year, but has survived.
It is troublesome, since it is growing in a path, sloping from the door to the rear garden.
TBA thinks it untidy, but I appreciate the efforts of the poor little thing --- OK I am an old Softie !! :oops:
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

I think that ground elder was introduced by the Romans as a food crop. Apparently the leaves are cooked like spinach. Doubtless if you develope a taste for it, it will disappear.
Col A 1946-1953
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

DavidRawlins wrote:I think that ground elder was introduced by the Romans as a food crop. Apparently the leaves are cooked like spinach. Doubtless if you develope a taste for it, it will disappear.

Before, or after, the application of the weedkiller ? :oops:
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

At this time of year the young leaves of nettle tops are delicious and full of iron! I have taken several trimmings from the paddock and simmered them for the dogs' breakfasts, they go down very well poured over biscuits and stirred through with a little salmon/wheatgerm oil.

Good for coats and pigmentation and they eat them with gusto.

Haven't been brave enough to serve them up for human meals yet though!

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Liz Jay wrote:Hi

At this time of year the young leaves of nettle tops are delicious and full of iron! I have taken several trimmings from the paddock and simmered them for the dogs' breakfasts, they go down very well poured over biscuits and stirred through with a little salmon/wheatgerm oil.

Liz
We dry them for the horses - the sting disappears (have no idea where it goes) and we crumble over their hay or hard feed, just like the other herbs.

xx
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I have tried "Nettle Soup" which is quite drinkable, but I would not put it at the top of the Menu ! :)