A Useful Thing for Grandpa

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

A Useful Thing for Grandpa

Post by Angela Woodford »

I don't know if anyone might have seen one of these thingies for sale anywhere? I've tried online...

A while ago, I spotted an elderly gentleman in a restaurant with a clip gadget which fastened on to the edge of the table and held his walking stick upright!

When he sits at a table these days, my FIL stands his walking stick against the table; it inevitably slips onto the floor, he tries to pick it up himself, goes all wobbly - you can imagine. If only I could get him one of these gadgets! It would save a lot of frustration!

Has anybody, maybe with an elderly relative themself, seen or bought one? I'd be very grateful to know where!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: A Useful Thing for Grandpa

Post by wickedwitch »

wide awake on the edge of the world
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Fantastic!

wickedwitch, you are a wonder! I'm very grateful!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

The wonders of Google! x hope it works for him. I'll be getting one for my mum so thank YOU for suggesting it!
wide awake on the edge of the world
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My Dad has one.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I might get myself one. My husband made a loop to go over my wrist, but he used thick gold cord and it is far too 'flashy'!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A cane/crutch holder ?????

It sounds decidedly kinky to me !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Alan P5age wrote:An instrument for keeping elderly mens' things upright at tables? The words "cane" and "crutch" appearing next to each other in a single sentence?
And no J.R?
He must be busy!!! :wink:
Oh very funny, guys. What are you like? :roll: Ha Ha Ha. :wink:

I have ordered the device. My FIL has been told that a terrific little gadget is on its way to him. I could hear that analytical military mind whirr into action. A hint? No! All right, then; it was recommended by a wicked witch.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

My blood still runs cold when I remember that last year, Grandpa attended a Gunners' Reunion in London. At dead of night, he decided to get back to his BR station via the Circle Line. At the top of the deserted escalator, his stick slipped. Miraculously, a strong black tattooed shaven-headed guy appeared behind him and steadied him as he pitched forwards.

Imagine - plummeting to the bottom of an escalator.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It doesn't bear thinking about.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I am walking with a stick, at the moment --- see my Post on "Old Blue" elsewhere.
I hate doing so, it invariably slips away, particularly on a ship --- the dam' things MOVE ! :oops:
I only feel comfotable with a stick, when out walking in the Forest ---- when one can behead Dandelions etc. :lol:
I shall postpone my purchase of the "Stick Holder" until i really need it --- but it is a good idea !
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I am walking with a stick, at the moment --- see my Post on "Old Blue" elsewhere.
I hate doing so, it invariably slips away, particularly on a ship --- the dam' things MOVE ! :oops:
I only feel comfotable with a stick, when out walking in the Forest ---- when one can behead Dandelions etc. :lol:
I shall postpone my purchase of the "Stick Holder" until i really need it --- but it is a good idea !
Sorry to read of your accident on the other thread Neill.

I hope it is not too long before you get shot of the stick.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I am walking with a stick, at the moment --- see my Post on "Old Blue" elsewhere.
Sorry to read of your accident on the other thread Neill.

I hope it is not too long before you get shot of the stick.

That'll make it a shooting stick, then !!

:lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My Dad has always taken a stick on walks, good for beating brambles/nettles out of the way at this time of year, and then in August/September, pulling the blackberries within reach.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

The gadget arrived today!

However - curses! My FIL had two hours earlier been taken to Exeter Airport ("Where's my stick? I put it down just now. Did I leave it in your car? In your loo? What's this knitting? Not sure that I approve. Harumph.") in order to visit my awful dodgy scowling explosive-tempered brother in law in Ireland.

Goodness knows what they get up to. In which dubious dives will the stick be left? Will he prod the floorshow with it?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Perhaps if you end up with a spare 'gadget' because FIL has actually lost his stick you could send it on to Neill?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'