Pets

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Pets

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Don't we all get too attached to our pets ?

A neighbour of mine (Big Flank Forward, Wimborne Rugby Club) arrived at my door today, in an awful state --- the pet rabbit (Giant Variety)had escaped, and the whole Family were searching the area, I consoled them as best I could, and we searched our gardens, while the children searched other Neighbours'
I didn't like to tell him that the creature was probably long gone, and by nighttfall would be Dinner for our local Fox.

Today, when taking down my Runner Beans, I came acreoss the pathetic remains (Just the skin and prickles) of a young Hedgehog, which had got tied up in the netting, and obviously starved. The carcass had been neatly cleaned out --- but I felt so sorry for the little fellow. :(

Apropos Rabbits--- we had a big Buck, who would chase cats, which came into his "Territory" and I really wish I had a Tape Recorder with me, when a lady visitor, who owned a Yotkshire Terrier ----Complained ---- "Your Rabbit is chasing my Dog ! " ------- I treasure the moment !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course it is so bad for the Children --- who believe thet Pets live for ever >

If Magnus's Rabbit turns up, alive ---- I shall report !
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Pets

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:

If Magnus's Rabbit turns up, alive ---- I shall report !

I eagerly await a positive report. Currently have three rabbits living in my bathroom (en route from Victoria to deepest Eyre Peninsula: drive north from Adelaide for 4 hours, turn left and drive for another three hours. If you reach Perth you have gone too far) and a week old goat wandering somewhere around the house. Swish (resident Burmese) is refusing to speak to me, and hissing violently at the kid <sigh>.

As for pets and children dealing with their death: it's hard, sure, (and hard for us adults), but I believe that it helps them understand the circle of life. My own children were privileged to deal with the death of two humans (one adult, one a microcephalic foster child) and view their bodies. I agreed to this because it happened in a loving environment (my then baby sitter's home): Elaine had been a nurse in NZ, where it is usual practice among Maori families to prepare bodies at home, and have them there for viewing until the funeral. They later asked to view their grandfather's body: something which their father couldn't do.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

When TBA and I, were last in Ireland, visiting the Cousins, we were interested to hear, on the Radio, that Mrs O'Grady would be "At Home" from 11 am to 4pm
It was explained to us, that this meant that her body would be available, for viewing by the Neighbours and Friends --- prior to the "Wake"

I think that is a lovely way of putting it !
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Here in the village, die one day, buried the next, and overnight a vigil is kept in the house with the body on display.

A couple of years ago, I asked someone in the village how his brother was, as I knew he had been ill.
He replied, "Oh, he's gone", to which I rather ingenuously replied "Where?", only to be informed that they had buried him a few days earlier whilst we were not in the village.
Again, I was on my way to the UK and passed by the house of the then France representative of CHOBA.
He said he couldn't invite me in as his wife was on the way out.
We went to lunch where I discovered that his wife was on oxygen, and in fact, she died the next day.

It takes a little time to tune in to these casual references to death.

Back on subject, my much travelled 14 and a half year old Jack Russell has seemed on the way out a few times over the last few months, but has now decided to eat us out of house and home and outlive us into the bargain. He has many of the wiles of the elderly, like standing in the shade when he goes out, standing at the bottom of the stairs in the hope that a lift will become available, and getting under one's feet when there is food around.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:When TBA and I, were last in Ireland, visiting the Cousins, we were interested to hear, on the Radio, that Mrs O'Grady would be "At Home" from 11 am to 4pm
It was explained to us, that this meant that her body would be available, for viewing by the Neighbours and Friends --- prior to the "Wake"
I think that is a lovely way of putting it !
I remember a "viewing" of my mother's employer just outside Windsor when I was about 5. In his case there was no wake and I know nothing about his funeral arrangements (security would have been tight even then).

I wasn't supposed to but I sneaked into his bedroom when nobody else was around and the idea of death has never worried or affected me since. Seeing death is something which was once commonplace but has now hidden, perhaps to the detriment of those left behind. We even have counsellors who also make a tidy penny out of the bereaved like everyone else!!!