King Edwards road and nearby area

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

guest_visitor
2nd Former

King Edwards road and nearby area

Post by guest_visitor »

Looking to potentially move to the area. Does anyone know what it's like there now? Wondered if the area was abit 'downhill' or if it is a nice place to live, i.e peaceful, neighbours are nice, no rowdy teenagers at night etc.

Thanks
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: King Edwards road and nearby area

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Can't help ---- really, I don't think King Edward Road existed in my time , If it is close to the School, you may have "Runners" passing, as we used to do runs around the area.
As to "Teenagers" ---- where would you NOT see them -- other than in the Highlands ! (Scots ----- I jest !!)

One might expect that the CH variety would be well behaved !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Can't help ---- really, I don't think King Edward Road existed in my time , If it is close to the School, you may have "Runners" passing, as we used to do runs around the area.
As to "Teenagers" ---- where would you NOT see them -- other than in the Highlands ! (Scots ----- I jest !!)

One might expect that the CH variety would be well behaved !

Are you sure it wasn't there when you were Neill ?

I've just looked at it on 'Google Earth'. If you exit the Avenue from the Peele Gate and keep to the right, going towards the railway station, that is King Edward Road.

I think that during my time at CH, most of the houses along this road were allocated to members of staff.

Janet (Mrs C), should be able to check !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Did'n't spend a lot of time down at Peele End -------being in Barnes B----, so you are probably right ! :oops:

Much too far to walk --- it was rumoured that Peele spoke a different language !

(Tin hat and Body Armour donned !! :lol: )
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Did'n't spend a lot of time down at Peele End -------being in Barnes B----, so you are probably right ! :oops:

Much too far to walk --- it was rumoured that Peele spoke a different language !

(Tin hat and Body Armour donned !! :lol: )
Bernard Levin must have been in Peele around your time, so you are probably correct about the language.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: If you exit the Avenue from the Peele Gate and keep to the right, going towards the railway station, that is King Edward Road.

I think that during my time at CH, most of the houses along this road were allocated to members of staff.
I'm surprised you even needed to check that, JR. Mr Crosland used to live in one of those cottages; he was the scoutmaster in our time but I cannot remember what he taught..
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: If you exit the Avenue from the Peele Gate and keep to the right, going towards the railway station, that is King Edward Road.

I'm surprised you even needed to check that, JR. Mr Crosland used to live in one of those cottages; he was the scoutmaster in our time but I cannot remember what he taught..
The name of the road 'rang-a-bell' but I couldn't place it !

Easiest way was to google-earth it.

Ah - Such memories.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I have admitted being contemporary with Colin Davies ----- but Bernard Levin ?

I SAID Peele was Foreign Territory !!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:

He taught me physics.

He may or may not have taught other sciences too.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I'm surprised you even needed to check that, JR. Mr Crosland used to live in one of those cottages; he was the scoutmaster in our time but I cannot remember what he taught..
He taught me physics.

He may or may not have taught other sciences too.
But of course; he taught me for A level physics and, as usual, had 100% passes. Thoroughly enjoyable lessons with a lot of thinking outside the (whatever it is)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

BOX ??? ------- No --- L M Carey taught me that !!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

(Hence 55 years on Insulin !!)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

King Edward's Road and Close are all staff houses. However, where the farm used to be is a complex of (very posh and expensive) retirement homes and where the old gym/ CCF place/ pool / laundry used to be is now a collection of 2-5 bed houses in the modern pastiche style pretending to be cottages. They all look very nice but can't have very big gardens and they don't seem to have anywhere to park!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:King Edward's Road and Close are all staff houses. However, where the farm used to be is a complex of (very posh and expensive) retirement homes and where the old gym/ CCF place/ pool / laundry used to be is now a collection of 2-5 bed houses in the modern pastiche style pretending to be cottages. They all look very nice but can't have very big gardens and they don't seem to have anywhere to park!
I had a good look around the old post-office and farm area last Saturday !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I seem to remember, that there was an area on Big Side known as "The Farm" during the War.
It was due South of the old Music School.

Pupils who were dis-inclined or unable to participate in "Sports" would go there to learn about things "Agricultural".

Does it still exist ?