RED ED !!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: RED ED !!

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:Sounds like JM always had a penchant for curry (?ie)

Edwina = Hot and spicy..........

(But NOT curried eggs, allegedly !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I suppose we are a bit "Off Topic" but ---------

I always found Edwina rather attractive !!!

Although she was not of my Political Persuasion, I felt she told it as it was ( Salmonella in eggs !!!) and I felt she had a genuine passion (Wrong phrase ? )
fot her beliefs.
This often happens with MPs whom one criticises for their attitude ---- but you know it is genuine !!

BTW Our MP Annette Brooke,(Lib Dem) has just won MP of the year !!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I've had a soft spot for Edwina after she sorted (or arranged for the sorting) the mess that DHSS staff pension section were making of the early payment of my pension. She was Minister for women, or some such thing, so on the idea of "always get your name on a file going down, not a file going up, I wrote to her. Having dealt with several Minister generated files while I was working, and having my boss breathing down my neck all the time, I was not surprised to get the pension awarded within a couple of weeks.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

She also banned the import of those vile "Skol Bandit" chew things which caused oral cancer in children. Very unpopular she was too for her forthright comments, especially on the salmonella/eggs topic which caused outrage among the battery-chicken-rearing fraternity, but I suspect helped to bring about a change in attitudes to battery farming.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I knew her slightly at Oxford - she was Edwina Cohen in those days. I doubt if she remembers me, but once I saw her on TV and heard her, I knew it was the same person!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:Sorry! That sounds a bit vague!

During the mid-Sixties, the mother of a girl in 6's had a charming boyfriend, John Major. He worked for a bank (National Westminster?) and was very active in local Brixton Conservative politics. "Uncle John" was a real sweetie - as I was a Sarf Londoner who lived not far away, I saw quite a bit of him in the school holidays, as did many other friends. JM came to Hertford quite a few times on Long Sats etc, ISTR.

On his behalf I pushed a lot of fliers through Brixton letterboxes and stuffed a lot of envelopes. I must have been 14? I think so. I was allowed out late to help at his Conservative Cheese-and-Wine Party! The sophistication of it! :lol:

He was generous, kind and romantic. Our 6's girl's mother nursed him devotedly when he came back from a trip to India with a bad knee injury. JM could make the most terrific curries - remember curry as it was in those days, with sultanas in it and little side dishes of banana and peanuts? Delicious, it seemed.

Yes - lots of nice memories! Then he met that Norma...
Never knew JM had that connection with Hertford, that is interesting! Not at all like his 'boring grey image' as he was portrayed on Spitting Image!! :lol:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I never knew that either! Assuming this was late 60s, I may have unwittingly seen him myself!

Katharine's mention of knowing Edwina Currie at Oxford reminds me of my mother-in-law, who was at Somerville with one Margaret Roberts. Apparently she was a bossy cow in those days too, except she had a pronounced Grantham accent :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

fra828 wrote:Never knew JM had that connection with Hertford, that is interesting! Not at all like his 'boring grey image' as he was portrayed on Spitting Image!! :lol:
Just writing you a pm, fra828! John Major's behaviour had an unfortunate knock-on effect on the general state of happiness in 6's.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jo wrote:I never knew that either! Assuming this was late 60s, I may have unwittingly seen him myself!

Katharine's mention of knowing Edwina Currie at Oxford reminds me of my mother-in-law, who was at Somerville with one Margaret Roberts. Apparently she was a bossy cow in those days too, except she had a pronounced Grantham accent :lol:

spelt G-R-A-N-T-H-A-M.................................

But pronounced GRANTHAM.

(God bless the late and sadly missed Spike Milligoon !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Going back to the original topic... I don't think it will make much difference - the party won't be truely lefty because they know they would lose their support. However, most people are sick to the back teeth with politicians. I now vote on whether I think the prospective MP would do a good job regardless of the party they are a member of.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

To preserve democracy, one should not vote for the same politician (or party) more than 3 times in a row. Discuss!
Col A 1946-1953
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

DavidRawlins wrote:To preserve democracy, one should not vote for the same politician (or party) more than 3 times in a row. Discuss!
Interesting proposition. I don't know about "should" but now I think back, I don't think I ever have. Certainly in recent times long-serving governments have become complacent, arrogant, cavalier, and out of touch, and IMV have needed booting out.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

DavidRawlins wrote:To preserve democracy, one should not vote for the same politician (or party) more than 3 times in a row. Discuss!
Oh dear ! ------- that would have seen ME out !!! :oops:

The reason I retired from local Politics, is because I believe that, like Magistrates, they should be forced out, after the age of 70 !

also "Retiring" is good for the Ego ------- never defeated !!

What's the Smiley for "Smug" ?? :lol:
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
fra828 wrote:Never knew JM had that connection with Hertford, that is interesting! Not at all like his 'boring grey image' as he was portrayed on Spitting Image!! :lol:
Just writing you a pm, fra828! John Major's behaviour had an unfortunate knock-on effect on the general state of happiness in 6's.
Thank you Angela, have repied to your pm!