Strictly......

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Strictly......

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Does anyone else agree with me that it was distasteful of the BBC News (online) today to post a photograph taken of Ann Widdecombe returning somewhere on the Tube, after her last endeavours? She was slumped fast asleep against the grubby window of the train carriage, with her mouth hanging slackly open (as I guess do all of ours, when we are asleep). Another passenger must have had a mobile phone with a camera, and then sent the image to the BBC. The blurb acknowledged that she must have been exhausted after her dancing endeavours......
I just thought that it was uncomplimentary and unkind to her as a person, and could set her up for undeserved ridicule - not that I have any political or dancing affiliations in this regard.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Re: Strictly......

Post by midget »

It sounds distasteful to me too. Unfortunately anyone who chooses to take part in these programmes becomes public property, and seems to have no right to any privacy.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I hope she got off at the right stop.

However, on the subject, I think that it is a sad reflection on society that many seem to get their enjoyment from looking at other people's lives, rather than trying to make the best of their own.
Whilst I have never ignored celebrities when I have spotted them, I try to treat them as anyone else I have seen in the street.
But then DBTS recently said my thought process was bizarre, which I took as a complement.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I'm with you John, unless someone is in 'celebrity mode' then they are a private person.
I was walking to work many years ago and saw a woman a couple of years older than me walking the other way who I recognised, ("someone I was at school with, someone whose baby I had delivered?"), I gave her a smile and a hello. About four paces past I realised she was a TV news reader. She had returned the smile and the greeting as though she knew me so I suppose it happened all the time to her.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

jhopgood wrote:I hope she got off at the right stop.

However, on the subject, I think that it is a sad reflection on society that many seem to get their enjoyment from looking at other people's lives, rather than trying to make the best of their own.
Whilst I have never ignored celebrities when I have spotted them, I try to treat them as anyone else I have seen in the street.
But then DBTS recently said my thought process was bizarre, which I took as a complement.

I totally agree that it is a sad reflection of society.But whilst people keep on buying gossip magazines and the Sun(and other such trash) we will always be awash with such photos in the media.I am sure she is mature enough to rise above such media and get on with it,I doubt the person who took the photo will rise to her heights anyhow.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

It's never endinganymore. Driving to work this morning, saw a woman on a bike had been knocked down by a car pulling out of a side road. Two other drivers had stopped, one was busy picking the woman up and dusting her down, sadly the other charmer was recoding it on her mobile phone.

:shock:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I, also, think it is disgusting --- but remember that the "Photographer" is doing it, not for their own amusement --- but for MONEY !

The fault lies squarely with the "Gutter Press" who will pay, handsomely, for embarrassing, or grisly, photos, which they defend as "In the Public Interest"

Bah Bah and again Bah !!! :oops:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

gma wrote:
It's never endinganymore. Driving to work this morning, saw a woman on a bike had been knocked down by a car pulling out of a side road. Two other drivers had stopped, one was busy picking the woman up and dusting her down, sadly the other charmer was recoding it on her mobile phone.

:shock:
To be fair, possibly so the cyclist could use it in evidence?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

That's what I thought but at the end of the day, who knows.....? I am glad that today, 24 hours later, I could not find that undignified photograph of Ann Widdecombe slumped asleep against a dirty Tube train window, which I saw yesterday. Hopefully the BBC have seen reason. Let's hope so......
Kerren Simmonds
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

kerrensimmonds wrote:That's what I thought but at the end of the day, who knows.....? I am glad that today, 24 hours later, I could not find that undignified photograph of Ann Widdecombe slumped asleep against a dirty Tube train window, which I saw yesterday. Hopefully the BBC have seen reason. Let's hope so......

I would imagine that the BBC journos are too busy doing less than usual whilst on strike.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

gma wrote:It's never endinganymore. Driving to work this morning, saw a woman on a bike had been knocked down by a car pulling out of a side road. Two other drivers had stopped, one was busy picking the woman up and dusting her down, sadly the other charmer was recording it on her mobile phone. :shock:
It may well have been insurance related.
Here in Spain they are advertising a new system where a lot of small car insurance claims can be made by mobile phone.
Take a photo of the damage etc, fill in a simple report and text it off. If simple, the authorisation and where to get it fixed will be texted back.
Since I only have a mobile phone for emergencies, and have a tendency to forget it or leave it at home, this new system is of limited interest, but I see it will appeal to some.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

That was my thought too John, in fact my insurance company suggests carrying a camera (of whatever description) in the car to take photos in the event of an accident.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Reading the last few Posts ---- I agree, we may be too quick to demonise the photo of the accident.

I realise that I, also, carry a small camera, in my glove box, in case of "Accidents"
Also a mobile phone, which is incapable of taking photos, but will contact my "Recovery/Breakdown" Company !
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My DD took a photo of me asleep on the train tonight, on the way home after a pub quiz. Sitting very upright, and with my mouth closed. But I looked EXACTLY like that fish in the old Tesco advert which Prunella Scales claimed looked like her late husband! :(
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kerren Simmonds