Can anyone help me......

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

ianpinder
2nd Former

Can anyone help me......

Post by ianpinder »

So this is an odd first post, especially when I'm basically begging, however time is running out and I have lots to do.

Basically, a month ago I signed up to participate in the Tour D'Afrique, it's a 12000km bike tour through Africa from Cairo to Cape town. I'm cycling to raise money for a charity called Build Africa and the faint plan at the moment is to raise around £45000 which will be enough to fund a total school refurbishment (basically where they start again) train the teachers, stock the school with books etc, and teach them all how to maintain it.

However, I realise it is easy to say your going to raise £45000 and actually doing it, so basically I'm asking for help. Anyone with any links to press, or companies that would like to help out or anyone with any experience in things like this would be a great help.

The bike race is going o cost around £15000 and I should have enough to cover it, so I'm not looking for money to pay for it, just help with the fundraising side of it. Unless anyone has a spare flight to give :)
Lamb B 96-99
Mid A 99-00
Thorn B 00-02
Grecians W 02-03
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Can anyone help me......

Post by Mid A 15 »

Off the top of my head.

Have you tried any large construction companies (eg Balfour Beattie) with a worldwide brand who might a) want the good publicity of helping less advantaged countries and b) might want the work?

EDIT: I see that you are in Kent. Radio Kent might pick up on it and publicise it for you if you contact them. They do publicise initiatives by local people.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
ianpinder
2nd Former

Post by ianpinder »

I forgot to say, I work for Balfour Beatty, hopefully they are going to match my fundraising, however at the moment they have not got back to me so don't really want to say anything just incase they say no.

The issue with them is they have dedicated charities, if I fundraise for one of them, they deffinatly will match it, however, Build Africa is not one of them, though BA does follow their mission statement.
Lamb B 96-99
Mid A 99-00
Thorn B 00-02
Grecians W 02-03
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Having just googled Build Africa and discovered that the UK address is Tunbridge Wells I would definitely approach Radio Kent. They have studios in Tunbridge Wells along with BBC London and SE so you might even get two for one if you you play your cards right and stress the local connection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-12786975
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
ianpinder
2nd Former

Post by ianpinder »

Thanks, I'll try BBC se.

Just launched my website today to give everyone a bit more info on what it is exactly I'm doing.

www.tda2012.com
Lamb B 96-99
Mid A 99-00
Thorn B 00-02
Grecians W 02-03