British --and other Forces

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

British --and other Forces

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

TBA and I have just returned from a trip to France to visit the Somme Battlefields.
We were visiting Thiepval, where my G. Uncle won his VC and searching for the place where my Grandfather won his DCM, which he described to me as "For running away !" (Retiring a battery of the RHA across a rivver, without losing a Gun, a Horse, or a Man ) --- note the order of priority !

Both heroes joked about their awards (As they do) but I was shocked and saddened by the sheer futile loss of life, engaged in winning a few hundred yards, and losing it, a little while later, by British, German, French, and Empire Forces.

At Mametz, close to Albert, is a wonderfu, red, Welsh Dragon Memorial, which was not erected until the 1930s --- due to the fact that the Division was regarded as "Tardy" by not capturing land strewn with Barbed Wire -- and swept by Machine Guns. --- the Dragon holds in his claw, a strand of Barbed Wire --- to make the point.

The current news about "Phone Hacking" is disgusting, but to my mind, particularly so, regarding the Families of dead and wounded Servicemen. Theirs has been the ultimate sacrifice, and it sickens me to think that "Profit" can be made by getting "Stories" from this source.

Sorry to be so vehement, but I should love to give the "Gentleman" responsible a good punch on the nose !!!
I really believe things have gone too far !
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Re: British --and other Forces

Post by DavidRawlins »

The Soviet Union is no longer the evil empire.
Col A 1946-1953
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

And I have no doubt that in Russia, there are a few chuckles about Afghanistan !

I have one of my Uncle's medals,-- 37th Dogras,-- with two bars "Waziristan" and "Afghanistan", he died of Appendicitis, on the NW Frontier in 1922.--- not from an Afghan bullet, but just as lethal there !

Plus ca change -----
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I see in the weekend press that two of our gallant boys have died as the result of one Taliban bullet.

What are the odds on that ?

R.I.P.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I used to joke about the fact that my life was saved, because the people who shot at me -- had not been trained by me !

I am afraid that this does not always apply in Afghanistan !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:I see in the weekend press that two of our gallant boys have died as the result of one Taliban bullet.

R.I.P.
Not so long as you would think. There was a case a few months ago when it worked the other way round - one tommy, two taliban
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:I see in the weekend press that two of our gallant boys have died as the result of one Taliban bullet.

R.I.P.
It is the inquest, the deaths were (I think) last summer.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

It does seem a shame that Inquests take so long to convene ---- this brings back all the agony for surviving Family.
It also applies to Civilian bereavements, and particularly for cases in Court !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

And on this subject......

I know that Wootton Bassett is/has become 'Royal' in 2011........

I vote that the town is awarded the George Cross, as was Malta in WWII. The fantastic way they welcome our fallen heroes home is undescribable !!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I read, somewhere, that some "Anti-War" protestors were planning to demonstrate at the Wooton Basset ceremony --------

They didn't ------ possibly on sound advice !!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I read, somewhere, that some "Anti-War" protestors were planning to demonstrate at the Wooton Basset ceremony --------

They didn't ------ possibly on sound advice !!!

Don't get me started on those hairy............
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Two things ----
On July 7th I stated that the Welsh Dragon had been erected in the 30s ----

I apologise -- particularly to the Welsh -- it was not erected until the 1990s !!!!
How long is such an insult to the fallen allowed to continue ?

In reply to JR -- I understand your feelings, but remember these people are "Theorists".
My G uncle -- with the Victoria Cross-- once said to me "No-one is a real soldier, until he has seen the blood and guts !"
Presumeably, that would apply to female soldiers as well, of which there were none, when he made the remark., and of course he was a WW1 soldier, who in 1940 was made a Lt. Colonel and put in charge of Tilbury Docks !!! -- I know he was embarrassed !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Two things ----
On July 7th I stated that the Welsh Dragon had been erected in the 30s ----

I apologise -- particularly to the Welsh -- it was not erected until the 1990s !!!!
How long is such an insult to the fallen allowed to continue ?

In reply to JR -- I understand your feelings, but remember these people are "Theorists".My G uncle -- with the Victoria Cross-- once said to me "No-one is a real soldier, until he has seen the blood and guts !"
Presumeably, that would apply to female soldiers as well, of which there were none, when he made the remark., and of course he was a WW1 soldier, who in 1940 was made a Lt. Colonel and put in charge of Tilbury Docks !!! -- I know he was embarrassed !!

Maybe they are, so in that case, let them go and theorise in a country where their religion is the main religion. Remember, Her Gracious Majesty is the Queen of this country, as well as the Head of the Church of England. Not Moslem, not Catholic, not Jewish, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry, but I dislike them intensely !!

(I did tell you not to get me started !)
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

J.R. wrote:Maybe they are, so in that case, let them go and theorise in a country where their religion is the main religion. Remember, Her Gracious Majesty is the Queen of this country, as well as the Head of the Church of England. Not Moslem, not Catholic, not Jewish, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry, but I dislike them intensely !!

(I did tell you not to get me started !)
There is a big difference between being 'anti-war' and supporting the enemy (or even those who hold opposing views to your own). I share your dislike for those who actively disrespect those who have made the ultimate sacrifice but I have no objection, indeed I have some respect for, anyone who opposes war on moral or ethical grounds. Both the Cameron Government and the Blair Government appear to have taken the view that war is an easy solution to a diffficult problem which, I would suggest, it never can be. Indeed, one of the basic principles behind the concept of a just war (jus ad bello if I remember correctly for the classicists amongst you) is that war must only be entered in to as the last resort when all else has failed. I am not sure that an argument can be made for this in the case either of Iraq or even for Libya. Perhaps more people should protest against these wars and then possibly, just possibly, our current batch of poiticians wouldn't enter so enthusiastically in to them! Just a thought.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

JR ------ Bless you my child --- pax vobiscum !!

I note that with the reduction in the Armed Forces to a strengh not reached for a century, we are, perhaps, approaching a realisation that the UK is no longer a "Super Power", and we should stop kidding ourselves that we are.

As a member of NATO, it might be imagined that we could rely on the other Members to play their part in any confrontation.

Fat chance ! ---- look at the minimal contribution of those who actually did join, and the abstention of those who did not.

I seem to remember, from my studies for promotion, that territory may be taken by a number of means ----Aircraft, Naval bombardment, heavy Artillery ---

It can only be HELD by PBI (Poor Bl**dy Infantry) so if these are in short supply ---- don't go !!

OK, so I am biased.------ (7 generations of Soldiery !--- mostly PBI ! but one Gunner and one Airman)

I do, in fact, respect genuine Concientious Objectors, who may suffer more, for their views, but I stress the "Genuine"