Riots, London and Elsewhere

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

fra828
Grecian

Re: Riots, London and Elsewhere

Post by fra828 »

People are angry, I feel angry as my disabled daughter's daycare has been affected greatly by the government cuts. The vulnerable and front line services are most affected, and the cruelty of this really upsets me as well as the bankers' greed, MP's expenses-fiddling and as others have said, sheer hypocrisy and double standards of politicians. The sadness of these riots were the deaths and also all the innocent people who were affected. The wrong target, if I dare say it- where is Guy Fawkes when you need him! :x Another thing, instead of volunteers stepping in, why were the rioters not MADE to clear up the aftermath as part of the punishment?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

fra828 wrote:Another thing, instead of volunteers stepping in, why were the rioters not MADE to clear up the aftermath as part of the punishment?
Funny old thing:

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16050805
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

marty wrote:
fra828 wrote:Another thing, instead of volunteers stepping in, why were the rioters not MADE to clear up the aftermath as part of the punishment?
Funny old thing:

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16050805
Thank you, Marty, hadn't seen the article I don't agree with Nick Clegg very often, but he has the right idea about offenders clearing up in florescent jackets.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Public flogging might have a good effect, but then, I'm 'old-school' !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Some sort of public shaming wouldn't go amiss, although no doubt that'll upset the pc brigade as the criminals' "human rights" will have been violated.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Regretabbly------ Community Service Orders, don't seem to be much of a punishment.

Yes flourescent jackets, and cleaning the streets of rubbish, is a good idea, but I was told, recently, that using the offenders to clean the roadsides of the rubbish thrown out from cars, and, in our local area, by children, on their way home from school ----- would be subjecting the Offenders" to "Danger" and would be challenged by Human Rights legislation. --- !!!!.

Further, I am told that because of the shortage of Probation Officers, there is little supervision of whether Community Service Orders are actually carried out !

I have, yesterday, been diagnosed with what, on another Topic, is described as a "Little B****er" in my Bladder -- and I am beginning to care less and less !!

It ain't the world I entered when I left CH !! :?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
I have, yesterday, been diagnosed with what, on another Topic, is described as a "Little B****er" in my Bladder
Neill, I'm so sorry to read that, you must feel gutted. I do hope you'll get all the necessary treatment quickly. Life can be a bitch, can't it - but I'm sure that with your very positive attitude you'll beat it - after all, fighting's in your genes! :)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote:Some sort of public shaming wouldn't go amiss, although no doubt that'll upset the pc brigade as the criminals' "human rights" will have been violated.
and what about the human rights of the victims? Even though it would be me paying, I reckon the victims (shop owners and operators, individuals etc.) should have state aid to sue those found guilty for abuse of their (the victims') human rights as well as the physical costs involved. I don't care if those responsible have to work for the rest of their lives to pay the costs etc. As for those under 18 make their parents responsible for the actions of their children.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

anniexf wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
I have, yesterday, been diagnosed with what, on another Topic, is described as a "Little B****er" in my Bladder
Neill, I'm so sorry to read that, you must feel gutted. I do hope you'll get all the necessary treatment quickly. Life can be a bitch, can't it - but I'm sure that with your very positive attitude you'll beat it - after all, fighting's in your genes! :)
I too am sorry to read this Neill.

Hopefully it's been caught early and you will soon be fighting fit to enjoy your family and carry on keeping us entertained on here.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Thanks for all your good wishes -- really appreciated !

Discovered by a Cystoscopy --------- DONT ASK !!! --- the Nurses among you will explain ! :oops:

Operation for removal, inder "General" in 3/4 weeks time. :D

I am not despondent, at 83 SOMETHING has to go wrong !! :lol:

End of comments, but I will report results, on another Topic. I am cheered by the arrival of another G.Granddaughter, in Switzerland. :wine:
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

sejintenej wrote:and what about the human rights of the victims? Even though it would be me paying, I reckon the victims (shop owners and operators, individuals etc.) should have state aid to sue those found guilty for abuse of their (the victims') human rights as well as the physical costs involved. I don't care if those responsible have to work for the rest of their lives to pay the costs etc. As for those under 18 make their parents responsible for the actions of their children.
100% agree with you.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I felt terribly sad to see the burned-out ruin that was Reeves of Croyden.

A family business since 1861! And a local S London landmark.

Will need another bed soon - wish I could buy it from Reeves to demonstrate support.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:I felt terribly sad to see the burned-out ruin that was Reeves of Croyden.

A family business since 1861! And a local S London landmark.

Will need another bed soon - wish I could buy it from Reeves to demonstrate support.

Apparently Reeves only lost their show-room stock. They had much more in storage, though I don't know where they are trading from at the present moment.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Of course I dont know much about Croydon, as it has become, prior to the riots -----

I remember it as the "Glittering Lights" when I was learning to be a Guardsman at Caterham Barracks.
We tended to get away from Caterham, as being too close to the Guards Depot, and the likelihood of bumping into a Drill Segeant in the pub !! :oops:
My "Home" at that time was at Crystal Palace, where my Parents lived. It was not a place to make young blood run faster.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: I remember it as the "Glittering Lights" when I was learning to be a Guardsman at Caterham Barracks.
We tended to get away from Caterham, as being too close to the Guards Depot, and the likelihood of bumping into a Drill Segeant in the pub !! :oops:
My "Home" at that time was at Crystal Palace, where my Parents lived. It was not a place to make young blood run faster.
Bit off subject but I wonder if Neill recognises the name, Philip Ellor? I worked with him and he claimed that he was training to be a Guardsman before WWII, but broke his leg on a training exercise, when he fell off a ladder climbing the walls of Windsor Castle. He was left with a limp and ended up in India making sure, as he put it, making sure that the hammer heads arrived at the same place and time as the hammer shafts. He retired as a Lt Colonel.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)