When do you stop giving birthday presents?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

When do you stop giving birthday presents?

Post by ailurophile »

My mum has announced to her four grandsons that she intends to stop giving them birthday presents after this year (when two of them will reach 21, and two 18) because she considers them grown up* - she says that all her friends have done the same. I must admit I've never really thought about the matter until now, and I'll probably continue to give small gifts to my nephews at least as long as they're still in education (although I do have a friend who still sends birthday money to a niece who's a 30-something doctor, which is perhaps going a little too far!!).

So, knowing that there are a number of grandparents on this Forum, I'm interested - what do you think? Is there a 'norm'?

(* I should add that there's been no suggestion of any mutual agreement not to give presents to granny, and she's been 'grown up' since 1950!!)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: When do you stop giving birthday presents?

Post by Mid A 15 »

ailurophile wrote:My mum has announced to her four grandsons that she intends to stop giving them birthday presents after this year (when two of them will reach 21, and two 18) because she considers them grown up* - she says that all her friends have done the same. I must admit I've never really thought about the matter until now, and I'll probably continue to give small gifts to my nephews at least as long as they're still in education (although I do have a friend who still sends birthday money to a niece who's a 30-something doctor, which is perhaps going a little too far!!).

So, knowing that there are a number of grandparents on this Forum, I'm interested - what do you think? Is there a 'norm'?

(* I should add that there's been no suggestion of any mutual agreement not to give presents to granny, and she's been 'grown up' since 1950!!)
My grandson is nearly two so not a question I've considered as a grandparent.

However as an uncle I have given presents up to and including 18, the 18th being relatively generous, stopped and then bought another generous present for the 21st with a view to now stopping permanently although I will continue to send a birthday card. My other nephews and nieces are all still under 18 so still get a present but I plan to do the same when they are old enough.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

OK - I'm WELL qualified for this one !

Four Grand-Children, from seventeen upwards. Eldest GD has been married since last September.

We STILL give small token gifts. Not so much because it's expected of us, but because we demonstrate our love for them.

Not sure if this'll help you, or not !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

From the age of ten (with one exception) I got nothing from anyone; I suspect I got nothing before that. When I was 21 I was given a present by a son of the people who took me in when I was orphaned.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:From the age of ten (with one exception) I got nothing from anyone; I suspect I got nothing before that. When I was 21 I was given a present by a son of the people who took me in when I was orphaned.

That's SO nice, David !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

My six grandchildren range from age 15 to 27, None are yet married so we continue to send presents, usually money, which will
probably cease if and when they reach this state.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Thanks JR and Kit. To be honest my mum has never been much good at remembering or recognizing the grandchildren’s birthdays, and I suspect that they’d hardly have noticed a difference if she hadn’t specifically flagged up a ‘change’ of policy!! But to me it feels as though she’s just been waiting for an excuse not to bother, and I’m really not convinced by the justification that all her friends do the same!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I get birthday presents from my husband's grandparents!