How.....Why... ? Mysteries of the universe

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Laura M wrote:Nah I'm still gonna stick with the pixies are stealing them, makes life a little bit more exciting. However, this is a growing problem, in Melbourne, Oz, scientists have calculated that 3 tonnes worth of teaspoons are going missing each year, thats enough that if lain end to end would go round the Earth, twice! Perhaps the pixies steal them and have created a palace made solely of spoons?
well that is certainly more poetic than waste disposals and dishwahsers.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

There is a children's book all about the planet to which odd socks emigrate, and the alternative culture they have set up there....
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

There's a theory in population genetics called "genetic drift", helps explain how genes move through populations.
This gives rise to my own theory called "handkerchief drift". Remember those hankies your aunt used to give you with your initial on them at birthdays and christmas (yes. I am getting old.)
Now check your hankie draw, you may find some with your initial, others with the initial of a sibling or other family member, but some of you will find a hankie with an initial on it that you have no idea where it came from. That's hadkerchief drift a mystery of the universe.
(the theory works for socks as well but more difficult to identify the socks origin.)
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

But what about the teaspoons!! You may be out and lend a friend a hankie but I can't say I've ever been in a situation on a bus for instance where I have borrowed a teaspoon!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Maybe teaspoons just grow in time into spoons.... there are a couple of spoons in my cutlery drawer whose origin are a mystery to me...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Euterpe13 wrote:Maybe teaspoons just grow in time into spoons.... there are a couple of spoons in my cutlery drawer whose origin are a mystery to me...
No, the rest are "passengers" on the London Bus last seen on the moon.

More seriously, I'm concerned that all the missing Australian spoons are going to overbalance the earth so that we have to start walking upside down
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Don't worry the loss of teaspoons in south London balances it out.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04