The End Is Nigh (This Means You)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

As I am sure everyone has noticed, the probability that this calculation is anywhere near the truth is low.
I entered as normal and then optimistic and gained 23 years of lifespan.
In the other 2 I was already dead.
I have always based potential lifespan on when grandparents, parents and uncles and aunts died, so in my case, with 2 grandparents, parents and 4 out of 10 uncles and aunts all making 80, and 4 of the remaining still alive, I hope to get to 80 or thereabouts.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My Mum's parents both died of heart trouble at 60 and 64, Mum still going strong and will be 80 in October, though she did had a triple bypass 3 years ago.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

englishangel wrote:My Mum's parents both died of heart trouble at 60 and 64, Mum still going strong and will be 80 in October, though she did had a triple bypass 3 years ago.
It's an indication, not a guarantee.
My grandmother died of TB in her 40's, her husband was gassed in WWI and wheezed all his life up to 81, my other grandfather was an asthmatic (invalided out of the Civil Service in his 40's) and died in his early 60's, yet one of his sons had Emphysema all his life, seemed to spend more time in hospital than out, yet still reached 80.

Luck of the draw I suppose but I still like to think I have a few years in me yet.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:It's an indication, not a guarantee.
My grandmother died of TB in her 40's, her husband was gassed in WWI and wheezed all his life up to 81, my other grandfather was an asthmatic (invalided out of the Civil Service in his 40's) and died in his early 60's, yet one of his sons had Emphysema all his life, seemed to spend more time in hospital than out, yet still reached 80.

Luck of the draw I suppose but I still like to think I have a few years in me yet.
Which a;ll goes to show that family history is not much of an indicator. My father was gassed in WWII (yes, it was enemy action!) and my mother died of post operative complications, both of them around 56 years of age. OTOH my mother's brother went through into his 80's and their sister into her late 70's. I should last a few more days - but not the 30 years or so predicted.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Post by kayinbaja »

Now that I know I'm going to pop my clogs on December 31st 2050, I can start planning a truly ENORMOUS new year's party, knowing that I won't have to do the washing up afterwards...
Hope I can stay alive until 11.59.59 p.m....
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
jhopgood wrote:It's an indication, not a guarantee.

Which a;ll goes to show that family history is not much of an indicator. My father was gassed in WWII (yes, it was enemy action!) and my mother died of post operative complications, both of them around 56 years of age. OTOH my mother's brother went through into his 80's and their sister into her late 70's. I should last a few more days - but not the 30 years or so predicted.
WWI, surely, David !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
sejintenej wrote:My father was gassed in WWII (yes, it was enemy action!) and my mother died of post operative complications, both of them around 56 years of age. OTOH my mother's brother went through into his 80's and their sister into her late 70's. I should last a few more days - but not the 30 years or so predicted.
WWI, surely, David !
No; WWII - a bombing raid on the Belfast docks in (from memory) Spring 1941. That is why I added the bit in parentheses because it is always claimed that gas was not released in WWII.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm intrigued David.

Having done a 5 year thesis on WWII and don't recall any references to gas bombs being utilised. Can you recall which type of gas was involved ?

Surely the use of gas in war-fare had been banned by the Geneva Convention at the onset of WWII ?
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

When was Adolf interested in the Geneva Convention?

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

midget wrote:When was Adolf interested in the Geneva Convention?

Maggie
Very true!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
midget wrote:When was Adolf interested in the Geneva Convention?

Maggie
Very true!
Generally speaking, the Wehrmacht upheld the Geneva Convention. The obvious exception being the SS. Hitler did proclaim that any Commando raiders captured in uniform were to be treated as terrorists and shot.

It cannot be said that the allies were 100% blameless and I would highlight the firebombing of Dresden as being a prime example, when Churchill waited until the conditions were exactly right to maximise the use of fire bombs.

Anyway - Its all in the past now and I spent a pleasant hour ( :?: ) in the company of my dentist yesterday who is a German from Kiel !
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I'm hoping that the date of my death will be 21/9/a few years yet, then my coffin can be wheeled in/out to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iknEJf9cPeY

The brass section is terrific. I defy anyone not to get up in the pews and shake their thang.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Re: The End Is Nigh (This Means You)

Post by Spoonbill »

Well, it's now more than five years since I posted this thread....and bearing in mind that Death Clock told me five years ago that my date of death would be Sunday June 10 2012, I felt entitled to begin getting the jitters.

However, I've just given the ol' Death Clock another whirl and it's now telling me that I've been granted another 26.5 years of fun and laughter, doubtless due to certain lifestyle changes I've made since 2006. That's to say, I'm now fat rather than megafat, so will expire instead on Friday 10 December 2038, probably with a loud report.

If a slothful mammoth like myself can pull himself together and rake in another 26 years, then anyone can.

Mind you, Death Clock may just be bollocks and I may die next Thursday, with an equally loud report.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: The End Is Nigh (This Means You)

Post by Angela Woodford »

My older daughter just rang, Spoonbill, and, thanks to you I had decided about my non-jolly-vicar funeral! We'd never discussed it before! So, we're a bit more organised now.

I must check again when the End is Nigh!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re:

Post by englishangel »

englishangel wrote:My Mum's parents both died of heart trouble at 60 and 64, Mum still going strong and will be 80 in October, though she did have a triple bypass 3 years ago.
I posted this in July 2007. Within a month she had been diagnosed with cancer in her sinuses, was operated on at the beginning of September and was in hospital for her 80th birthday for a further revision. Elsewhere (funerary arrangement thread) I have said she died on 23rd March 2008.

But she had been diagnosed with extremely high blood pressure at the age of 38 so without modern medicine she would have probably followed her parents to an early grave. It gave her 15 additional years, and she died of something completely different.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"