Miss Von Stetten

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Miss Von Stetten

Post by Mid A 15 »

I have discovered the following on the 1939 Register:

First Name (s): Unknown (shows ?????) Last Name (s): Nutto-Von - Stetten (Stetton, Nutto)

Date of Birth: 28 January 1908 Occupation: Companion Help Sex: Female Marital Status: Single

Address: Whitcliffe Grange School Richmond MB Yorkshire (North Riding) England

Could it be relevant? I was a boy from CH Horsham rather than a girl from CH Hertford so did not have any personal knowledge of Miss Von Stetten.

EDIT: I took the above from a transcription. However the original image mentions Fridel L Nutto but someone has written Fridel Nutto-Von- Stetten above it subsequently.

Hope this helps a little. I do know incidentally that those shown on the 1939 Register are deceased although you would probably have surmised that from the birth date.

EDIT (2): Still in Yorkshire in 1949 it would appear: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... 9/data.pdf

Bears out the Christian names you mention too.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

If anyone is in contact with Angela Woodford, they could ask her to put something on the Hertford OBs group on Facebook. I remember the name, but no details, I didn't learn German. I don't think she was at CH the whole time I was, I also remember the name Mrs Agulnik as a German teacher, we only had one at a time.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/heidelbe ... ch-church/

This link mentions and includes an email address for a Rosemary Selle.

Rosemary Anne Selle was the author whom acknowledged her first German teacher, Frau Friedel Nutto von Stetten, in her Author's Preface of 1981 referred to elsewhere in the thread.

It might be worth a speculative email to ascertain whether or not it is the same Rosemary Selle and, if so, whether she maintained contact with Frau Nutto von Stetten. The fact that she acknowledged her suggests to me that she may have done.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Kai
2nd Former

Post by Kai »

@ Katherine and Claude: Thanks a lot for the informations and further notes, that I will pick up!

Greetings
Kai
janda
2nd Former

Post by janda »

She was out form mistress when I was in Lower IVb and I have to say regretfully we were the owrst class in the school. We ammassed so many conduct, disorder and order reports one term that the totla number want read out at the end of term assembly in the hall.She also taught us to sing "edelweiss" and the "hills are alive" in German for the school concert - I can still remember the words!