Hertford photos mid/late 60s to early 70s

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Liz Plummer (Jay) and her prizewinning bearded Collie

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Please go back one page to see Liz Jay (Plummer Sixes 1966-68) and her prizewinning Bearded Collie at Crufts. Hi Liz! Liz has posted everywhere except here and when I asked "Friend of Alex" to upload it for me he didn't know she had posted on the other threads or he may have put it there.

(Yes, I'm afraid I told him off ! :( )
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

The dog is Barney aka Champion Talraz Tamarisk who won his third Challenge Certificate (thereby becoming a champion) at Crufts that day. He is third generation homebred so of course it was a proud moment. Of all the long-lost friends I've ever encountered, I've yet to meet anyone else who shows (and breeds) dogs. Is there anyone out there?????

Liz (hair now back to the favoured style of long and straggly since that photo was taken!!!) was Plummer, Sixes '66 - '68 )
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:Mary, how did I let you lot get away with that ? Or did you make sure that I didn't see you in the woods ? I remember Jo's outfit...dark pink, wasn't it ?

Did you change out of uniform too Mary ? I thought you never broke the rules ! Is an on-line retrospective punishment in order?

I love the pic. of the three "J" s in the woods.
I have just had a 'flashback' actually brought on by a comment for darthmaul about not being afraid of the big, wide world as he had only been at CH for Sixth Form.

In the Easter holiday of Upper Sixth I had gone to a nightclub with my best mate from home and there was still drinking after hours. I had finished my drink as we had booked a cab for 11.30.

At 11.25 there was a police raid, due to the after hours drinking.

We eventually got away at 12.30 (cab long gone) and had to go home riding pillion (sans helmets) of two brothers on scooters.

Now my kids are that age I now know why the light was still on in my parents' bedroom as I crept up the stairs.

What would DR have said? :roll:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Liz Jay wrote:The dog is Barney aka Champion Talraz Tamarisk who won his third Challenge Certificate (thereby becoming a champion) at Crufts that day. He is third generation homebred so of course it was a proud moment. Of all the long-lost friends I've ever encountered, I've yet to meet anyone else who shows (and breeds) dogs. Is there anyone out there?????
Liz (hair now back to the favoured style of long and straggly since that photo was taken!!!) was Plummer, Sixes '66 - '68 )
Cats, I'm afraid, though our showing/breeding days are over.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

J.R. wrote:
Liz Jay wrote:The dog is Barney aka Champion Talraz Tamarisk who won his third Challenge Certificate (thereby becoming a champion) at Crufts that day. He is third generation homebred so of course it was a proud moment. Of all the long-lost friends I've ever encountered, I've yet to meet anyone else who shows (and breeds) dogs. Is there anyone out there?????
What kind of cats? One of my dog friends has British Shorthairs and another Ragdolls. I have another friend who wants a Maine Coon.
We've mainly had moggies, I'm afraid. Our last was pure white with green eyes, of course he was called Arthur.
We are currently catless and I feel broody for another, but we have a very tame cockatiel who spends a lot of his time out of the cage. The dogs treat him with respect but not sure whether he could hold his own against a cat, unless it was a very dopey one with zero hunting instinct.
Any suggestions?
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Liz Jay wrote:
J.R. wrote:
What kind of cats? One of my dog friends has British Shorthairs and another Ragdolls. I have another friend who wants a Maine Coon.
We've mainly had moggies, I'm afraid. Our last was pure white with green eyes, of course he was called Arthur.
We are currently catless and I feel broody for another, but we have a very tame cockatiel who spends a lot of his time out of the cage. The dogs treat him with respect but not sure whether he could hold his own against a cat, unless it was a very dopey one with zero hunting instinct.
Any suggestions?
Chinchilla. G.C.C.F Breed 10, known by the Yanks as a shaded silver.

Persian type as seen in the James Bond films, also known as the Kosset Cat. Maine Coone and Norwegian Forest cats are very affectionate, even for their large size. Ragdolls are pretty, but don't be fooled by the story of their placidness. I was very badly bittenby one at a show I was stewarding at many years ago, and I still bear the scars !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

J.R. wrote:Ragdolls are pretty, but don't be fooled by the story of their placidness. I was very badly bittenby one at a show I was stewarding at many years ago, and I still bear the scars !
Ah well, I've done lots of stewarding at dog shows and it's perfectly safe, because it's all about paperwork, and we leave the actual handling to the exhibitors! When I'm judging I never push my luck with the ones with iffy temperaments, twenty years in the grooming business has made me very aware of the warning signs, and I value my fingers too much....
We get cats in to groom here as well, and they are frighteningly well-armed. Luckily most of them are pleasant, but I'm cautious with them all the same. Their reflexes are so much quicker than dogs'.
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Friend of Alex's
2nd Former

Problem seeing pics in first post

Post by Friend of Alex's »

It seems the first pics I uploaded can't be seen unless you've logged on. So here are the same pics, but kept at a different site which might allow "hotlinking".

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Problem seeing pics in first post

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Friend of Alex's wrote:It seems the first pics I uploaded can't be seen unless you've logged on. So here are the same pics, but kept at a different site which might allow "hotlinking".
Thanks for that :-).

I finally remembered to bring the photos in for scanning this morning (I took all except the first one), but there they were!
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

OK, let's see if I'm up to operating Photobucket ;-).

Speech Day c1970
DR and The Lord Mayor walking past the pavilion: returning from Chapel?

Midsummer Revels c1970
Can anyone recognise any of the Little Pagans?

6's Ascension Day Rounders Match c1970.
Waiting to bat, from L-R:
Pam Jones, Alex, ?, Catherine Ennis, Mary Mc, Siobhan, Judith Points, Susan Knight.

6s c1970
Front row: Valerie Wharton, Susan Knight, Siobhan, ? (sorry!), Diana Garnham.
2nd row: Cathy, Angela.
Annabel Lush behind Cathy, and Mary Mc behind her.

6s Dining room
back of Mary Mc's head
facing: Janessa Fletcher and Susan Knight.
Last edited by icomefromalanddownunder on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:OK, let's see if I'm up to operating Photobucket ;-).
Second attempt (after reading instructions through to the end) worked.
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Caroline

I love the dining room one! I can almost see my locker......everyone seems to look just as I remembered them!
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

What an amazing set of pictures! Never before have I sensed what CH Hertford must have been like. Pictures of the Horsham site taken 50 years ago do not have the same sense of history - yes there are minor changes; haircuts are different and broadie buckles for some strange reason have migrated to the back, but otherwise uniforms, band, marching and buildings continue much as before.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Never before!!!

Most of them have been on another thread somewhere. Our uniform was changed in some way almost every year. We had two changeds of 'Sunday best' while I was there.

Also we had different clothes for summer and winter, and some of those pictures were taken before games.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

englishangel wrote: Also we had different clothes for summer and winter, and some of those pictures were taken before games.
Hi Mary

I think that I must have asked people to pose in every available piece of uniform - hence Siobhan in blues and aertex shirt, and someone (sans head) in the flanalette nightie which has been discussed elsewhere.

Apologies for dragging up old threads (although the Sodoku one was down to soc), but did we really stop wearing hats at some point during my internment? I would have sworn that it was still chapel caps, velours for winter, and panamas for summer when I left. I had also forgotten the flattering outfit so beautifully modelled by Mary Mc (well done for keeping her knees together :) ) and the piggy jimjams.
Hertford 6.20 1965-70