Housemistresses

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Liz - I remember you so clearly and am really surprised that you were only there for 2 years.

Variety of memories brought back here are almost overwhelming - things I had totally forgetten about; things I never knew about whatsoever
=====================================

Hi Juliana and another name I remember...and I think I have a face though it is a little shadowy...tall and kind with a big Julia Roberts smile.

Really I was two and a bit, nearly three years at CH, plenty long enough to soak up the culture, and I have a whole collection of memories which I'm only just rediscovering with the sort of gentle prompting which this list provides. After I left I was in another world but Alex faithfully wrote to me for years (I was living in Germany). She kept me up to date on many of the notable characters and events, almost as good as being there! Well done Alex. I wonder whether writing it all down in such minute detail helped fix the memories....or are you taking a gingko bilboa supplement???

And Judy Furnival was another from my era. Keep the names coming, my memory cells are enjoying the exercise!
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

These were the monitresses in 1972, your contemporaries Liz.

I think this is a bit clearer than the one Alex posted in the Hertford pics from the 60's 70's thread as it originally came from me and by the time it got to Alex it had been around the world.

If you want any names I remember them all. I am front left seated, Juliane is next to me, and Alex is back row left. (She looks just he same today, if a bit blonder/greyer.)

Sue Boggett is almost directly behind DR.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

englishangel wrote:[img]

If you want any names I remember them all. I am front left seated, Juliane is next to me, and Alex is back row left. (She looks just he same today, if a bit blonder/greyer.)

Sue Boggett is almost directly behind DR.

Oh my! I don't think I remember any.....don't give me too many at once and I'll see how far I get!!!!
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

That looks like Miss Jukes in that pic :shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

englishangel wrote:Image

BACK ROW. Alex, Lois, Anne, Ann, Judith, Maureen, Lesley, Judy, Susan
MIDDLE ROW. Pauline, Shelagh, Sue, Mary, Liz, Lesley, Sue, Jane, Ailsa, Carol, Julie
FRONT ROW. Mary (Me), Juliane, Carolyn, D R, Penny, Val, Sue
What a memory for an old lady!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Vonny wrote:That looks like Miss Jukes in that pic :shock:
Who do you think looks like Miss Jukes? DR?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:
Vonny wrote:That looks like Miss Jukes in that pic :shock:
Who do you think looks like Miss Jukes? DR?
Yes - D R. Definitely similar in looks I think.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't think we noticed a resemblance at the time.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:I don't think we noticed a resemblance at the time.
Probably not. I think when I saw this picture the first time I thought it was Miss Jukes and it wasn't until a while after I realised it wasn't.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Vonny wrote:
Probably not. I think when I saw this picture the first time I thought it was Miss Jukes and it wasn't until a while after I realised it wasn't.
There can't have been a great difference in their ages, not more than 5 years or so.

Of course they seemed ancient to us.

DR was 60 in the photo, almost exactly. I believe her birthday is in June.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:
Vonny wrote:
There can't have been a great difference in their ages, not more than 5 years or so.

Of course they seemed ancient to us.

DR was 60 in the photo, almost exactly. I believe her birthday is in June.
She looks around the same age as I remember Miss Jukes & Miss Wilson looking in the early 80's - maybe they were older than I thought then. As you say - they all looked ancient to us at the time.
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by helen »

Is that really DR? She must have had a makeover since I left. She looks as if she'd lost weight and actually had something done with her hair which used to be just straight and clasped with a 'grip' at the side. but then we all had to have straight hair cut above the ears or if any longer than that tied back in a bunch(no pony tails).Had to fit below the cap. Monitors could have perms - one more distinguishing feature! But perms in those days left much to be desired - frizz frizz.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think DR lost weight in the time I was there. If you look at the 617 Squadron pics on here.

It was towards the end of my time there that hair got a little less restrictive.

What is the difference betwen a 'bunch' and a 'ponytail'? AFAIK bunches come in pairs and a ponytail is single.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

helen wrote:Is that really DR? She must have had a makeover since I left. She looks as if she'd lost weight and actually had something done with her hair which used to be just straight and clasped with a 'grip' at the side. but then we all had to have straight hair cut above the ears or if any longer than that tied back in a bunch(no pony tails).Had to fit below the cap. Monitors could have perms - one more distinguishing feature! But perms in those days left much to be desired - frizz frizz.
Hi Helen

Woe betide those who had the sin of vanity....didn't someone receive a Conduct Mark for the crime of unscheduled hair washing - poor girl had a problem with lank greasy hair but was obliged to put up with it!
Funny it took me ages to shed that bit of brainwashing and my more glamorous sisters used to despair of my dress sense and always want to do my hair for me.
My mum used to ask me why I went around in "sackcloth and ashes"?
No one else in our family has a problem with the beauty and fashion industry!
I fight it hard, but Trinny and Susannah would have a field day here, I'm sure they would have something to say about my tendency to wear such boring clothes!!!! And quite often no make up!!!!
I had a perm once though - ghastly frizz took for ever to grow out - never again - but perhaps it was some kind of rite of passage?
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It certainly is.

I have had 3 perms in my life, all terrible. My hair doesn't like perms, but it doesn't mind being coloured. I have tried most 'normal' colours, never been green or blue though I did go pink once.

Natural 50-something salt'n'pepper at the moment.